How to Integrate Lutron Aurora Dimmers With Home Assistant

Same setup and results

Initial report. 99.9% sure the Nortek HUSBZB-1 Go Control combo stick. Been clicking it on and off for about 20 minutes with it not skipping a beat to turn it on and off

When you remove the HUSBZB-1. Once you remove the previous Zigbee integration you must also delete the zigbee.db before adding the new integration for the new stick.

Lutron Aurora User Guide
Dresden elektronik ConBee II The Universal Zigbee USB Gateway

I have the Nortek stick as well and always felt like it could be flakey with certain devices. I’d pick up the Conbee stick if I’m sure it’s going to at a minimum, let me use my Lutron Aurora’s directly with HA.

Please report back in a couple of weeks. I don’t want to go through the pain of redoing my entire zigbee mesh without the reward.

Just to throw some more evidence for the stick. I used the Conbee II but had to get a 6ft USB extension to raise the stick away from the rasberry pi.

After changing to the ConBee II the Lutron Dimmer has been working perfectly since my pervious post. I plan on phasing out the GoControl WA00Z-1 Z-Wave Scene-Controller Wall Switch (White) I currently have. They are inexpensive, work reliably, and great for renters. The downside is that they use two batteries and the learning curve is more difficult, especially if you start trying to add dimming functions.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation. I also bought a Conbee2 and tested and it worked perfectly for me as well. I reached out to the devs on Discord and we went through a ton of tests and updates to the Nortek stick. I don’t have the right terminology but essentially it is a limitation of that stick and isn’t likely to ever work reliably with the Lutron dimmer. I’m still deciding if migrating 70+ devices to my Conbee stick just to get these puppies working is worth it. The amount of downtime needed will likely cause an uprising by my family. :cry:

Some details can be found at my post here:

I have the HUSBZB and the button is not consistent like everyone else. I wonder what makes the HUSBZB different than the ConBee II? I would like to use the lutron device but I don’t really have the appetite to change zigbee contollers.

I would attempt to explain what was explained to me by the devs but I would butcher it beyond comprehension. It has something to do with how zigbee reports are addressed. Conbee2 shows everything by default and the Nortek only shows when addressed in a certain way. :man_shrugging:

Oh that is unfortunate, at least there is a known difference. It would be nice if there was a setting to change the behaviour.

What a bummer.

I’ve got the Nortek that has all of my devices working with it already, but did pick up a ConBee II in the event that this was the news we’d get. So now my question is how difficult it is to migrate entities across sticks. Is there a way to do it where I won’t lose all of my entity ID and name configuration?

I asked this same question and unfortunately not. They are based on 2 different chips. I believe if you try to migrate to something based on a few of the TI based chips you can backup and restore your paired devices. My guess would be that you would still have to reassign your entity names anyway…but at least you wouldn’t have to do the unpair/pair dance. REALLY not looking forward to the pain of migrating sticks but my gut tells me I’ll have to do it at some point anyway and the pain will only get worse with time.

Disclaimer: everything above is based on my limited knowledge and what was relayed to me by devs in discord. Please take with multiple grains of salt.

Hmm. I guess that’s where I get a little confused then. How do you see the sequence? Shut down the device, unplug the Nortek, plug in the ConBee, start up the device…then what? Or do I have that sequence wrong?

The Conbee is not the same chipset as the Nortek so so would need to do the unpair/pair dance. You are essentially starting from scratch with the added pain of unpair first. It’s not going to be fun if you have a lot of devices.

How are you all using Zigbee in HA, ZHA or deCONZ? Started reading about deCONZ but haven’t found enough details about the benefits.

Zha…only chose that because it’s HA homegrown and assumed it would always be supported. Works great for me and my device types.

Just wanted to chime in - these Aurora dimmers with their latest firmware are not compatible with the Nortek HUSZB-1. They do work fine with the Conbee II, or a TI stick.

The auroras send their attribute update to a random group - the Nortek will ignore that frame as the coordinator is not a member of that group.

1 Like

Just got my Nortek HUSZB-1 setup yesterday after deciding on it over the Conbee 2. Guess I made the wrong call but oh well. Switching to Conbee 2 once it arrives.

I assume it would be pretty easy to use the press action to switch the dimmer function to color changing, right? How are others controlling color with this switch?

Just an update for others looking to use the Lutron Aurora with either the Nortek stick or the Conbee2:

I finally decided to migrate all my zigbee devices over to the Conbee 2 (via the ZHA integration). It was a real PITA re-pairing all my devices but well worth the effort…especially with regard to the Aurora Button/Dimmer. It now registers all events every time and I was able to make the automation below to control the lights in my daughter’s bedroom. Works PERFECTLY!!

alias: Button Lutron
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: zha_event
    event_data:
      unique_id: 'aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff:11:22:1:0x0008'
condition: []
action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data:
      brightness: '{{ trigger.event.data.args[0] }}'
    entity_id: light.bedroom_lights
mode: single

The unique ID is the same as highlighted in the pics in the OP.

3 Likes

Just adding my $0.02 here. I finally got mine doing something useful as well via Node Red (also with a Conbee 2). It now works flawlessly to toggle the light and dim it. Thanks @kmclaughlin for the initial work.

Here is the Node Red sequence:

[{"id":"fe1dd0a2.2575b","type":"server-events","z":"3104a6e6.225a8a","name":"zha event","server":"e3837e76.d43c8","event_type":"zha_event","exposeToHomeAssistant":false,"haConfig":[{"property":"name","value":""},{"property":"icon","value":""}],"waitForRunning":true,"x":80,"y":900,"wires":[["dcd0dc7d.645c68"]]},{"id":"dcd0dc7d.645c68","type":"function","z":"3104a6e6.225a8a","name":"Dining Room Dimmer","func":"var dimmerId = \"ff:ff:00:0f:e7:fc:b8:13:1:0x0008\"\nvar eventId = msg.payload.event.unique_id;\nvar state = msg.payload.event.args[0];\nvar onOrDimmed = msg.payload.event.args[1];\nif (eventId == dimmerId){\n    if (onOrDimmed == \"7\"){\n        return [msg,null,null];\n    }\n    else{\n        msg.payload.dimmerNumber = state;\n        return [null,msg,null];\n    }\n}\nelse{\n    return [null,null,msg];\n}","outputs":3,"noerr":0,"initialize":"","finalize":"","x":320,"y":900,"wires":[["b9dbe1f3.769848"],["6ee3feea.799468"],[]]},{"id":"c7dad2b.b949a3","type":"comment","z":"3104a6e6.225a8a","name":"Zigbee Event Processing","info":"","x":130,"y":820,"wires":[]},{"id":"b9dbe1f3.769848","type":"api-call-service","z":"3104a6e6.225a8a","name":"Toggle Dining Room Table light","server":"e3837e76.d43c8","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"light","service":"toggle","entityId":"light.zha_dining_room_table","data":"","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":630,"y":860,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"6ee3feea.799468","type":"api-call-service","z":"3104a6e6.225a8a","name":"","server":"e3837e76.d43c8","version":1,"debugenabled":true,"service_domain":"light","service":"turn_on","entityId":"light.zha_dining_room_table","data":"{\"brightness\":\"{{payload.dimmerNumber}}\"}","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":590,"y":920,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"e3837e76.d43c8","type":"server","name":"Home Assistant","addon":true}]

Can you also connect them directly to a zigbee light?Without a stick/hub.