How to read power meter with Hichi IR USB and EDL21?

Hi all, just started with HA, installed it on a Raspi 3 via Hass.io, updated to latest.

Bought a Hichi USB IR reader for my power meter, which is not yet connected to the meter. Enabled HA “advanced mode”, installed SSH add-on and EDL21 according to doc.

lsusb shows 4 devices. Only when Hichi USB is inserted, it shows /dev/ttyUSB0. I used Settings - Devices - “Add Device” to add EDL21. It asks for a path, I enter /dev/ttyUSB0. I get “Success! Created configuration for Smart Meter.”

But there is no new device shown. There is no sensor entry in configuration.yml, as this post from a year ago suggests.

Integrations - EDL21 - shows “1 entry” on the summary page. But then on the details page there is no device. When I try to add the same device path again, I get the error message “Device is already configured”.

Shouldn’t the sensor show up on the page, even though it is not yet connected to the meter? (It’s gonna be installed in No-Internet land.) Shouldn’t there be an entry in configuration.yml (or is this only for older HA versions)?

Okay, I enabled debug and stopped debug - and it’s automatically downloading a file.

2024-04-26 15:45:14.541 INFO (MainThread) [sml.asyncio] Connected to /dev/ttyUSB0
2024-04-26 15:46:16.154 WARNING (MainThread) [sml.asyncio] Timeout while waiting for meter data. Please check reading device. Restarting edl21
2024-04-26 15:46:16.155 DEBUG (MainThread) [sml.asyncio] port closed

So maybe the sensor really needs to be connected to the meter to show up.

But where is /dev/ttyUSB0 stored, when not in configuration.yaml?

Connected the Hichi IR USB to the power meter. No more errors in log.

Still I see no device, but can’t add a new one, as it should already exist.

Did anyone get this to work?

Tested the sensor with minicom, that seems to work. It echos entered keys when holding close to a white piece of paper:

apk add minicom
minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 9600

Not sure how to exit, I had to restart the SSH add-on.

Seems to be a common problem (German discussion), without a solution.

Maybe a custom add-on can help.

which ha version are you on? after I updated to 2024.4.4, my edl21 stopped to work. had to go back to 2024.4.3

don*t use it. it is not working at all

That’s a though task :roll_eyes: I am using Home Assistant Operating System and it seems even though I use an older image, it always automatically updates HA core to the latest version :grimacing:

I opened a new issue as it seems to be a python problem

I opened an issue yesterday :laughing:

It seems HA core on HA OS can be downgraded (post):

ha core update --version 2024.4.3

I just installed a fresh Raspberry Pi OS Lite and Docker, and will test

docker run -d \
  --name homeassistant \
  --privileged \
  --restart=unless-stopped \
  -e TZ=MY_TIME_ZONE \
  -v /PATH_TO_YOUR_CONFIG:/config \
  -v /run/dbus:/run/dbus:ro \