How to recall existing flows

Hi all.

Many thanks for all the help so far.
Just added Node-Red to my Hassio install as a test to see what I can do etc. Running hassio on a RPI.

Ok so I have created a test flow. I have the very poular “cant connect to home assistant error” and thats fine. I will work on that. In the debug window I see that error scroll around every few seconds.

So I created a second flow and deployed it. Same issue. Again not the point of this topic.

Close both of them in the editor window. Can still see the error rolling in the debug window.

What I cant work out is how I get those flows back into the editor window to either edit the info or delete them?

I ssh’d into the rpi and can find the flows file and its backup. I discovered if you delete the flows file and leave the backup there it recreates it on restart. If you delete both and restart Node-Red you get a flows file doesnt exist error so crate a blank file and away we go again.

But there must be a way of opening and existing running (even with an error) flow to delete or edit…

Further to this.

Like others I have been having issues with connections to HA. I have reinstalled, removed, reinstalled etc reading bits and pieces here on this discussion etc and reddit etc. I have node-red talking to HA I think.

However I can see the flow that I described above still trying to connect. So how can I get that flow back into the editor to either add to it, edit or whatever

Flows are Json string under. So in the drop down menu selecting all the flow or parts of it you can click export, then the flow will be displayed in a small window with all the information as json object. You can copy that to clipboard and save it to a text file. That same json string then can be imported later and deployed as a flow in any other instance of nodered.

Thanks for that. But what I have done is deployed a flow and its talking to HA as I can see it in the log. However I cant see the flow I created in the editor any more. So how do I get the flow that HA is using back into the window or how do I stop that flow from running. At the moment I have to uninstall node-red and start again.

I do know that flows can be disabled. If you double click them in the tab the info menu appears then you can disable by clicking in the toggle button, but I don’t know how to hide tab flows and I think is not possible. So I don’t know what’s going on there.

Well it looks like its working mostly. I expect its my learning that has to be improved :slight_smile:

Just to check it I opened up the web interface to it and nothing is showing in the window. No nodes. Nothing.

So dropped a homeassistant node on it and opened it up and it can see the bits and pieces from HA so I am assuming the node I dropped in the flow yesterday and set up the Address etc is still in the background somewhere still with the connection data there.

All the flows should be visible in NR… if there are no visible nodes than you don’t have any flows.

However, once done a configuration than the configured item will be visible in the configuration tab (goto top-right-menu into configuration), there you should be able to see and modify the HA config items.

Had enough. Going to uninstall it. Thought I had it working as I could use the drop down boxes etc to see things then after a deply its coming up with connection errors again. So when and edited the node and then it comes up with connection errors from before the change of server settings and after them as well. Even deployed a blank flow in the hope it would clean out any existing flows but it still having connection errors

yes, having the same server connect issues with latest HA, thats why I downgraded HA before the authentication.

I have all my automation running on a dedicated Node-Red RPI

Ok due to a hiccup in trying to do something remotely I ended up currupting my main install. No problems with this as I often keep playing tand breaking things to see how it all works.

Anyways reinstalled everything again. Fresh hassio, fresh node-red and yep all working.

Did find one hiccup but more related to my network DNS.

So far so good. Even using the default hassieo/homeassistantr in the address of the components. Got a twilio component to send sms messages.

Willing to share my info with anyone if it helps.

I did think about running it on a seperate rpi but for now all good. Just purchased a 4 RPI mount so have some room to play :slight_smile:

Thanks heaps all

Ok spoke too soon.

I suspect its something to do with the upgrade I did this morning.

Just upgraded the minor upgrade from 0.78.2 to 0.78.3 but broke node-red to HA

In my HA file I see WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.api.proxy] Unknown HomeAssistant API access!

and in my node-red I get the familar can’t communicate

So I reckon the API key is perhaps wrong. HAve restarted the whole syste,

Where can I see what API value its expecting compared to what its using?

YOU configured the API password in your configuration.yaml on Home Assistant

In Node Red, there is a CONFIGURATION tab that will have your home assistant configuration and you can fix the API password there.

But why would it have stopped working? I havent changed the API password in the config file nor in the tabs in node-red? it was working this morning, did the update and just come home to play again the find the usual (well hasnt been here for 24 hours) cannt connect message again

:man_shrugging:

I would look at the logs and see if I could figure it out.

The API thats in the config isnt the one thats used in the node read component. When I installed Node-Red on a fresh install it put a string in of about 40 charecters in the api field of a haome assistant node. My api in the config file is only 8 charecters.

I have a feeling its like a token.

It should be.

That doesn’t sound right.

Not sure. I thinkit gets updated from somewhere and its a token. Just removed my api password from config file and rebooterd. Its connected again and the api field is filled in again with a 40 charecter value and thats different from the one before…

I’ve been using node red for over a year with Home Assistant…and it has always used the API password, so I don’t know what you are using.

@Secs is correct in that the latest versions of Frenck’s hass.io Node Red addon do generate an API key at addon start to communicate with HA. How exactly this key is generated I’m not sure as the key generation pre-dates the latest changes to the HA access regarding the API password.

If you are using NotoriousDBG’s hass.io addon you should switch as it’s not maintained and I was having problems exactly as you’re describing where access was blocked after a HA restart.

If you’re using Frenck’s addon - I’m currently running into a problem where it will not connect to HA but gives no errors. After each HA reboot I need to get into the Node Red web interface, modify the HA server configuration on a node (don’t have to change it, just have to open it), then re-deploy and it starts working.

So I don’t have a solution, but at least you’re not alone in the problem.

Edit: I found this (below) when looking around, have you enabled the NR projects feature?

Thanks Shadowdrake. I do use Frenck’s addon and the projects option is off. I am a lot happier that someone else has simalar and that I have actually had it working. I can see the huge benefit of it and will persist.