How to remove/hide camera entities in media browser

Hi all,

Need help removing or hiding the camera folder which contains all camera entities in the system. Preferably can be set to which user can have access. e.g. admin only

This is a security issue for me. any user can unhide the media browser from their settings and all cameras can be be seen.

2 Likes

Wow seems like I am the only in the community who have concern about this. So we can be seen by others when picking our nose in our room. :sweat_smile:

I’ve raised a couple of feature requests similar to this.

And

Any news on this. I fully agree that it’s a security issue.
I use camera inside the house only for AI detection/presence in room, and the entities are hidden. So, camera are not visible in dashboard, but I can send picture to Deepstack.
In Media browser, even if entities are hidden, camera streams are visible, meaning anybody can access them and have a look. This is a big issue for me.
Did somebody find a solution to hide camera in Media ?

Agreed, this would be very useful. I would like to give my roommate access to Home Assistant, but I have a camera in my bedroom that shows up here. I guess I could disable the camera entities and just view their feeds through my NVR, but it would be nice to have it all in the same place.

Same here. I need these features too

Same here. Acces to media should have a granted acces.

1 Like

I would like this feature too.
Thanks

I would like to see a bit more robust of a permission system on this too.

I really wish I would have known this before spending the time setting this all up for the house

Hi!
I was trying to do the same thing given that you can’t hide the Media section for non admin users and I found this thread.
I know that a lot of time has passed but given that I found a workaround I’d like to share it.
Disclaimer: this is a dumb workaround that works only for my specific situation but is not exactly the solution to this problem. Anyway, in my opinion is worth sharing.

I used this HACS extension:

With this extension you enhance Home Assistant features adding abilities like enabling/disabling devices/entities as service calls (a thing that I thought was integrated into Home Assistant instead is not).

I used this service calls with a couple of automations that disable the internal cameras when someone arrives home and enable them when everyone is out. I am ok with this given that I have an external NVR (Scrypted as Docker container in one house, Synology Surveillance Station in another house).
When you disable the camera, it automatically disappear from the Media section and if you are not admin there is no way to re-enable it.