How to remove unknow (failed) devices?

So I am in the process of switching from Fibaro to HA as my HC2 died recently.
Although HA has quite a steep learning curve, I am starting to love it more and more.

When adding my Zwave devices to the system, unfortunately some of them failed, so I had to include them again. Also somehow I get huge lists of devices I did not even know they existed. For example when adding a dimmer. So I have 2 questions now:

1. Can I remove / exclude these additional entitities somehow? For example a FGD212 results in this list:

2. I have 4 failed (unknown) devices left over, how can I delete them? I do not see any entities anymore, except these devices.

Appreciate your help,
Arno

There’s a whole section on this in the docs.

Yeah, seen that topic.
The thing is that these units do not show up us entities. Only under devices. Also in the developer environment I cannot see them, so I cannot set them as failed device.

Where does ha keep track of the devices?
Not in the zw config files…

So you don’t have an associated zwave entity? And they don’t appear in the zwave node dropdown?

May need to take a risk and edit your device registry. I had to do that to permanently remove some old devices that didn’t remove properly.

Here’s an example of one of them.
There are no connected entities and I do not see any delete button.
Also they do not show up under Entities or ZWave configuration, so basicly they are ghost devices. It seems this happens when removing devices from the mesh.

@truglodite, How would one edit that device register?

edit: never mind, found it.
For everybody else seeing this behaviour, I found this topic:

Basicly I copied /config/.storage/core.device_registry for backup.
Then opened the file in notepadd++ and removed the ghost devices from there.
I had given them easy names ‘Unknown (To be deleted)’ so you can search on them.
Don’t forget to stop and start the server when you copy the new file over

4 Likes

Would I be able to remove failed MQTT devices using this method? I have a device with no entities, and I’ve not delved into the hidden .storage folder before

I’m having this exact issue with Fibaro devices. What seems to happen is that Home Assistant doesn’t clean up the second device when a single unit contains two. So in my case I removed the Relay Switch Dual 2, it removed the primary entry but left the secondary one sitting around. I followed the advise within the documentation and marked it as failed, deleted the node, but he device itself still hangs around and won’t go away.

I tried to follow the recommendation to edit the core.device_registry but I deployed from an image and the file editor plug in doesn’t give me the option of navigating to that file. So I’ve no idea how I go about editing that file. The only fix I’ve managed so far is to completely remove the Z-Wave integration, let it delete all the devices, then add the integration back in again. Far from ideal, there must be a better way for this to work… and when you remove a device that has two parts to it, it should really remove both of them gracefully…

What I did is login via network (samba share), using my Windows machine.
Then there are some hidden folders under /config, so do not forget t o enable 'show hidden files in Windows. There you can find the needed files.

But it is quirky anyway. I still have some fake devices for example. A door sensors with Luminace entity? A motion sensor showing particular matter? Not sure if it is Fibaro or HA causing this, but I just disabled them to hide in my config

1 Like