How to set random images for background on my main dashboard every day?

I have a bunch of JPGs in a folder. Any idea if it’s possible to randomly select an image every day at say 4Am and set it as the background for my main dashboard?

I found this but it doesn’t seem like it accepts templates at all :(.

lovelace-background: 'center / cover no-repeat url("/local/holidays/christmas-background-4.jpg") fixed

:sob: not possible?

Still not possible?

Thinking on making a spare tablet into photoframe which will show information cards like mail full or doorbell and etc amd default to photoframe when no notifications

Your use case is somehow different then the OP.
You could solve it with ie something like this 🖼️ WallPanel Addon - Wall panel mode for your Home Assistant Dashboards - #328 by sam3487
Look for screensaver / tablet / kiosk in the forum and you will find all kinds of solutions.

@ncd in the meantime when configuring views - is a new feature - you can set a background picture/url but I don’t know if it’s possible to make that into a slideshow.

1 Like

Yeah mate, spot on! + visibility conditions for picture card to show notification picture over the slide show ! You guys rock!

1 Like

I solved this by having about 30 different themes with different backgrounds for each season. I want a random one per day (depending on the season). Was a bit of work to do this but now that it’s done it’s super simple. I just have an automation to randomly pick one based on the date using the home assistant frontend service. It works extremely reliably.

1 Like