How to update your HA version on a QNAP NAS

v92.2
Next I am going to try and figure out this one.

What is the GPG Key?

Well I don’t know its real use. I only know that my original settings used it and that is how I continue to travel. Remember that the one you have quoted was how mine was setup…yours may very well be another value? Did you check all those settings and record first mate?

regards Steve Wells

Negative but I have homeassistant 1 I could always fire up again and check theoretically.

Haha…quick learner…and if its a problem ditch the second one and try again…its a problem free update if you think about it.

I have found with the later versions that some of the settings I write in that “Environment” TAB: will get overwritten in the new version. Might add that info above as well. I mostly(?) always recheck the new version settings each time I move on to a new version.

@wellsy

You may find this interesting to get more of a pi feel (most guides discuss hass.io).
https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/a6tzlk/hassio_on_docker_tell_me_why_im_an_idiot/

Also you running a configurator container?

@test7875

No configuration container for me. I like sticking with the basics theses days. Less to break when new releases have breaking changes.

I believe the developers are building in all that I need as time goes by so I’m happy to just progress that way.

@test7875

I did miss hass.io for a short while after I moved from my pi…after I realised how much more useful yaml config was I stopped missing it.

Even node-red is losing its appeal now that I have become a little more comfortable with writing automations…I am keeping it for now though.

1 Like

hello ,
Very good , it’s running fine
I have updated with version 0.117.2 the last stable :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot

1 Like

Sorry for revisiting this topic, but there have been updates to the Container Station in QNAP, and it seems like the instructions provided earlier in this discussion have changed. Being new to this, I could really use some guidance on how to update my Home Assistant in QNAP Container Station 3.

Using docker-compose, stop and delete your container, delete the Home Assistant image and redeploy it. This will pull the latest image and create the container with that. In QNAP that is done under application in Container Station.

See the docker-compose section here.

Be sure that you are pointing the config folder to somewhere outside your container before you delete it.

Thank you for the provided solution, my problem is that I dont know where is my config folder and how to find it. I have tried to look for it with File Station App in QNAP but did not find it.
Again apologies for my dumb questions, I am really new to this.

Click reply on the post you are replying to, then I would get notified. You will find it somewhere in the container-station-data folder. This is very important to copy out to a persistent folder.

Thanks for this information but unfortunatelly I am unable to find it.
Like I said, I am a total beginner and I am running this in a Container Station from QNAP. No ideea how to access files inside container. I tried to find a solution on the internet but I’ve had no success.

Use the file explorer on the QNAP.

Thanks, I found configuration.yaml here:

/Container/container-station-data/lib/docker/overlay2/6cde9a19483c5a1e2a482c01e75c0f09e78feb7aabf3b776120bbd4a09c80b22/diff/config

But when I try to check further that file with File Explorer that folder I get the below message

How do I move/copy that folder from there?
I have tried normal copy/paste to other location but …

Give yourself permissions. I would create a folder under for example System, call it container, then create a home-assistant folder under that. Then you copy the contents from the folder you found to the folder you created. Then, when you are making the new container you link the folder by specifying /share/container/home-assistant:/config in the docker compose.

Thank you for your patience with me.
You helped me a lot.

I’ll come back when I will try the update.

1 Like

A quick how-to guide to deploy it in Container Station using docker-compose:

Create a folder where you store your HA data, in this example it assumes that you have a folder created here: System/container/home-assistant This is very important to keep your config stored regardless of updates. Also make sure you take a backup of this folder regularly.

In Container station, check that you do not have any Home Assistant images stored.

In Container station, click Applications and then Create

Name your application and fill out the following code, be aware that the share paths are case sensitive:

version: '3'
services:
  homeassistant:
    container_name: homeassistant
    image: "ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant:stable"
    volumes:
      - /share/container/home-assistant:/config
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
    restart: unless-stopped
    privileged: true
    network_mode: host

Click create. In a short while Home Assistant will be available on http://your_nas_ip:8123

When you want to update, stop and delete the home-assistant application, delete the image and repeat the above steps (make sure you copy the code out so it’s easy to paste back in).

Good luck!

1 Like