How to use Portainer?

Hi,

I’m new to the world of docker. I’ve been able to install some Web services but there are some that I would like to use a docker container.

My understanding is that as Hass.io runs within a docker container, Portainer can allow me to load docker images which allow me to run other Web services within Hass.io?

I went into images and tried to load a tarball docker file and direct url but none deployed.

Am I misunderstood the purpose of Portainer? If no is there atut somewhere to help me?

Thanks heaps

You don’t normally do it this way.

What URL are you trying to use?

For docker images it uses docker hub by default. You just tell it the Name of the docker image you want to use.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll check tonight but I’m pretty sure I used the docker hub tarball and url, but I’ll try just the name and sour here what I did. My test was for media wiki.

Thanks again!

You don’t need to do any of that.

When you hit add container, where it says image, you just type the word mediawiki and that’s it.

Haha I thought that seemed too easy so tried all the other options! Thanks!!

Awesome so I managed to successfully deploy the mediawiki container and its running. Dumb question but how do I turn launch mediawiki?

Not sure I understand what you’re asking here.

I recommend reading the documentation for mediawiki. I have never used it.

Sorry, I meant now that the docker container for mediawiki is running within Portainer. Does that mean mediawiki is now installed and accessible from within the docker container? Could be any docker container, mediawiki was just an example.

Portainer shows me the image, an IP address but no port details.

Thanks!

1 Like

It wouldn’t do much good to be only accessible from within docker.

Well, did you configure the port to be passed through? It would have been an option in the portainer container creation.

You’re kind of in charge of the creation process. You configure the network settings, volume bind mounts, etc.

Thanks again. So are you saying that installing services this way is no use? I thought that Portainer would allow me to use additional services within the hass environment.

My understanding of docker (very limited) is that it would essentially be a self contained service.

Or is there a better way of doing this? Installing other services easily to be accessible through home assistant.

Thanks!

Not at all. Not sure why you would think that.

Well, that’s exactly what it does.

Through home assistant? That’s not what you are doing here. You are creating services ALONGSIDE Home Assistant. They are not related in any way. If you want to integrate them with Home Assistant, that is done manually (Node Red, Mosquitto, etc are good examples of this).

You can run any docker image you want (assuming they have one built for your architecture), but YOU have to configure things like exposed ports, volume mounts, etc.

I gave up on Portainer with hassio. I couldnt figure out how to load the valetudo-mapper container from github. Lucky me there was a fork on dockerhub. But I couldnt access the webservice since I’m not sure how to configure the network. There isnt even a documentation about the different networks in hassio. I tried to configure it like the other addons that were already running but i couldnt get it to work.