How to use Wake on LAN with Philips TV

I’ve successfully configured my Philips TV in Home Assistant using the official integration and I’m able to use the integration’s UI in Home Assistant to control the TV, including using the ‘power’ button to turn off the TV and, if I immediately hit the button again, to turn the TV back on.

However, there seems to be a well known issue that Philips TVs enter a ‘deep sleep’ after a few minutes of being turned off and after that time any attempts to use the integration to turn the TV back on no longer works.

To address this issue I’m trying to use the Wake on LAN service but this doesn’t seem to deliver the desired outcome.

My TV is using a static IP address, I’ve enabled developer options and enabled debugging, and enabled Wake on WLAN in the TV settings.

When using the Wake on LAN service I’m entering the same static IP address in Broadcast address field as the one that I entered when setting up the official integration (where it clearly worked) and I’m entering the MAC address correctly. I tried deselecting the Broadcast port field, setting it to 1925, and setting it to 1926, and each time called the service (in Developer Tools) and none of these tries had the desired outcome.

I’m at a loss as to what to do next and would appreicate any pointers. Thanks!

Hi!
I don’t know if you still need to solve this, but this may help you:
On a 50PUS8545/12 I encountered a similar problem. I had the TV connected via ethernet, thinking that this should be the more reliable link.
On this TV set you can only select static IP for the wired connection (I don’t know if it is the case with yours, as well). So, when I switched to WiFi, the Android TV integration started to work. Using the WiFi connection the IP is only obtained by the means of DHCP. So, to have a fixed IP, I set the DHCP server for a static binding for the WiFi MAC of the TV.
Now, first I turn on the TV with the Android TV integration, than I use the official Philips Integration to actually control the tv. Kind of a hack but it seems to work fine (at least for my case).

1 Like

Thanks for this suggestion.

In my unique case, I bought a Sonos Arc and connected it to my TV via HDMI. While looking at my Google Home I noticed it exposed a device called Sonos TV that allows me to turn on and turn off the TV via a voice command to the Sonos Arc (it has Google Assistant built in). I am now using the Google Assistant SDK integration in HA to send a voice command to Google Home to turn on the TV. In HA the Philips TV integration exposes a trigger action called Device is requested to turn on, so I have an automation that reacts to this trigger and executes the GA SDK service call with the voice command Turn on Sonos TV.

It’s a hack but is working so far! I chose to connect the Sonos Arc via ethernet to my single wall socket but if my solution stops working I’ll switch it around to the TV and try your solution!

I have an old 50PUS6753/12 (not android as far as I know) the only work around for me was to set up a wired connection but still WoWWLAN enable.

I’ve set a static ip configuration and and in DNS1 my router address.

I’ve created a button like this:

script:
  wake_on_lan_tv:
    alias: "Wake-on-LAN TV"
    sequence:
      - service: wake_on_lan.send_magic_packet
        data:
          mac: "70:af:24:a0:c3:00"
switch:
  platform: template
  switches:
    wake_on_lan_tv_switch:
      friendly_name: "Wake-on-LAN TV Switch"
      value_template: "{{ is_state('script.wake_on_lan_tv', 'on') }}"
      turn_on:
        service: script.turn_on
        entity_id: script.wake_on_lan_tv
      turn_off:
        service: script.turn_off
        entity_id: script.wake_on_lan_tv
      unique_id: wake_on_lan_tv_switch
#card

type: entity-button
 entity: switch.wake_on_lan_tv_switch
 name: "Wake 50PUS6753/12 TV"

WIFI and LAN have diffrent mac address

obviously wol needs to be enable via the config yaml in HA

# Example configuration.yaml entry
wake_on_lan:

Thee down side is that I have two buttons, one to power OFF and an othe to power ON.
the off button does disappear when the tv is off anyway.

The only caveat is that after sending the wol command, I still have to press one of the power buttons, they will become visible right after wol was sent.

This may work on WiFi but haven’t tried properly

hope this helps.

Check the TV settings to see if it can go into standby instead of off. Or, might be called low power mode.

Under eco settings > energy saving.

I can set to:
Off
Minimum
Medium
Maximum

I have it set to Minimum now that I’m not using wifi.

I had it set to off but that made no difference for me.

Again the wol works for me so just thought I’d share what I’ve done.

Understood. That was kind of for everyone to check since I think there are a range of ages of TVs in this thread.

1 Like

In addition to WOL, I also had to activate Chromecast wake-up on my 65OLED855 so that HA can wake the TV from sleep. However, the power consumption in standby is up to 20W higher with this configuration…