How to work with HLK-LD1115H and Wemos D1 Mini for Human Presence Detection

I have tried. But isn’t TH1 just for the movement entity and the TH2 just for the occupancy entity?
I played around with the TH2, but it isn’t accurate for me. Not sure if it is detecting my neighbors on both side of the walls. I just have one of the radar and is placed in the opposite end of the main entrance door. What is your TH2 settings just to give me a rough idea.

Do not recommend using anyone else’s values. The best tuning is specific to your room, placement, intended targets and potential interference.

Best thing to do is actually observe the SNR for movement/occupancy in order to understand what target value might work for you.

If the target SNR values “dip below” the mov/occ setting, then the sensor reports no movement/occupancy. Therefore each target value must be lower that what you observe. And since distance and target size all influence the SNR, you can’t just paste in someone else’s number in order to avoid the necessary tuning work.

9B594567-9D94-47F3-BA7E-F3E46A1B4DC9

My current gut feeling is that the Hi-Link LD2410 will be a better sensor than the LD1115H for the simple fact that it offers distance configuration in addition to sensitivity adjustments. This greatly expands the placement opportunities; especially if your walls are thin :wink:

If you aren’t sure, test it! You have an interior wall you can access both sides of ? I hope you have bathroom!!

1 Like

@duceduc - here is an example of the challenges of the LD1115H.

Here is a screenshot of three sensors in a room with no people, but two fans :crazy_face:

Since the rooms is empty, I expect all sensor to be off. But they don’t start that way because fans…

With the LD2410 and DFRobot I can reduce the distance in order “exclude” the fans from the “search area” (placement strategy). Sadly the LD1115H does not support this to my knowledge. So for the LD1115H all I can do is reduce sensitivity.

For the DFRobot I can then test different sensitivity settings in order to determine what is appropriate (increased sensitivity).

For the LD2410 it provides an SNR report which make the sensitivity adjustments easier (increased sensitivity). The LD2410 is also very narrow so that helps here (to the detriment of other use-cases).

Here we have three sensors and an empty room;

Taking those settings, we test the hardest use-case; sleeping…

As you can see, the DFRobot and LD2410 did well. But there were a couple of false positives w/ the LD1115H. So not quite dialed in yet. Therein lays the challenge. Being able to configure it with enough sensitivity to capture the target use-case while not being so sensitive that is it “always on” because it is configured below the noise floor for the deployment.

3 Likes

I just received my LD1115H sensors, I was thinking of buying another LD2410, they impressed me with their size. I have questions: what code are you using for the LD2410? It probably won’t be the same as for the LD1115H or is it and something needs to be modified in the code?

Here ya go; https://github.com/rain931215/ESPHome-LD2410

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your quick reply, I appreciate it.
In the near future I will start working on the first sensors and see where I get to. :+1:

Interested to hear the results of your testing.

A few tidbit from emails w/ HLK about the LD1115H;

• it does not support distance
  • th3 is “long range” so try setting this value really high
  • th1 is also very sensitive (up to 16M?) so try increasing this value (more movement needed to trigger)
  • mov_sn impacts sensitivity as well. I am working on figuring out if a low value is more sensitive. It seems this way.
  • likewise occ_sn impacts static senstivity and it seems a higher value (up to 16) is less sensitive.

More sleep testing tonight. I’ve ruled out the fans/AC using the following settings since the LD1115H stayed on most of the day. Testing these tonight

The HLK datasheets are very poor so I have been spamming them w/ questions and I am not sure they like that.

5 Likes

Hi, just to verify, is this the same LD2410 you are testing now?

This is from my local marketplace

So technically would you say this works better than LD115H and cheaper?

Btw, could you share your LD115H esp config?
When you mention adjustable distance, if my ceiling fan is around 8ft, i could just lower the detection distance below that to avoid picking up fan movement?

Can’t say better or worse quite yet. Still testing! I’ll summarize and post code when done. There is other code out there to get started.

LD1115H doesn’t have distance setting, only LD2410. Which is pretty coarse, 0.75M, give or take. If you get a 2410, get their USB dev board. Is has 1.27mm to 2.54 header spacing conversion built in.

Thanks, looking forward for that
Just noticed the distance setting in your screenshot, does it work something like this?

Did you mean for this one with the usb dev board?

The LD2410 max distance configurable is 6M, which I haven’t tested. But reducing does works. It is much narrower FOV so it is better at ‘targetted’ applications such as a desk or bed than a room.

I can’t find the dev board again. They didn’t have header cables in stock when I got mine. I’ll keep looking.

I see, so that’s the general difference

I’m trying out the esp config from here

The occupancy keeps changing to clearence eventhough i’m just sitting down so I’m still tuning th1 values

Hi, I’m trying to use your config but I’m getting this error

Yes that’s a good place to start. I didn’t see the need for the difference between movement and occupancy so I cleaned it up to my personal liking.

Since I am testing the LD1115H, LD2410 and DFRobot (Leapmmw) side-by-side I can offer a few insights into the experience so far. I am not done so this is not written in stone… …but the LD1115H is struggling compared to the other two sensors.

I primarily lay the blame on the lack of “distance” configuration but that might just be a cop-out. The key challenge is the particular benchmark that I have in mind. Being able to detect people sleeping while then correctly reporting “no detection” when the room is empty.

The reason this is so challenging is that “sleeping” means, “very small target so high sensitivity needed.” And when a high sensitivity is used, that increases the chance of “false positives” aka - not reporting “no occupancy” when you have left the room.

At this point in the process, the LD1115H has only been able to report “sleeping” with such a “high sensitivity” that when you leave the room, it never reports it and continues to report occupied.

I don’t want to write it off quite yet since the datasheet/manual does not explain all the settings. So it could very well be that I just haven’t landed on the configuration sweet spot.

Found it.

1 Like

What’s the difference between the dev kit and just the radar module itself?

Just received mine, but i just realised my jst connector is 1.5mm instead of 1.25mm.
So probably need to wait another week to get that cable.

So I just found out that the HLK-LD1115H is sensitive to wind. I’ve placed the sensor next to a split AC unit. Whenever the AC is turned on, the motion and occupancy entities stay on indefinitely. When the ac is turned off, sensor is normal again. I thought it was caused by electromagnetic wave or something since the sensor is placed along side of power cables, hose duct, etc. That is not the case. I tested with one of those portable usb fan you carry with outside to cool down. Turn it on along side of the sensor and the state changed to on and stays on until the fan is turned off.

Can someone confirm this?

1 Like

I can confirm that AC units and fans vibrate/move!

These sensors detect objects moving. Not air.

If the air is causing an object to move, that’ll get detected too!

These don’t detect air.

1 Like
vibrate.

Yea, that makes more sense. These things are darn too sensitive. The esp isn’t even resting on any of the pipes. It’s hanging off of the usb cable. I guess the usb cable is giving it some shake.

A solid mount helps. So does reducing detection distance and placing fans, etc beyond that range. But the LD1115 is definitely more challenging to get right.