Howto create battery alert without creating a template for every device

Downgrade from which version? I’m running 0.88.2 without a problem.

From 0.88.2

Plus tons of Automation Errors.

Apologies for late feedback. This issue is not related to your pack. This issue is a core HA issue.

I see the same error here on 0.89.1
It’s repeated once a minute.
It’s currently the entry that is put in the home-assistant.log in the config folder.

How can I tell if it’s working at all? I can see the battery icon at the top, and a card on the overview, but that’s it.

Hmm, I’ve followed the instructions in the latest release.
I’ve activated the internal MQTT.
But I just see the error in the logfile, where do I find out if it’s working.

2019-03-12 18:00:00 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.condition] Error during template condition: UndefinedError: 'None' has no attribute 'attributes'
2019-03-12 18:00:00 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation] Error while executing automation automation.update_battery_status_group_members. Invalid data for call_service at pos 1: Entity ID  is an invalid entity id for dictionary value @ data['entities']
2019-03-12 18:01:00 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation] Error while executing automation automation.update_battery_status_group_members. Invalid data for call_service at pos 1: Entity ID  is an invalid entity id for dictionary value @ data['entities']

Although it works, the browser performance becomes very poor when Battery Alert group is shown. Browser memory usage keeps increasing. I tried both Chrome and Firefox.

Hi everyone, I’m using latest 89.2, trying to setup this package.

I’m getting this error when I try to CHECK SETTINGS in Configuration->General

Configuration invalid
Invalid config for [automation]: required key not provided @ data['action']. Got None
required key not provided @ data['trigger']. Got None. (See ?, line ?).
Please check the docs at https://home-assistant.io/components/automation/

As it is now, it seems to fail for me. I verified that my config works without it.
I also made sure to follow all steps 1 through 5 in the battery_alert.yaml setup

Has anyone else experienced issues?

I am seeing something odd on my battery alert, there’s an item which is listed 3 times on the list but I can’t see the item listed on MQTT at all.
Where that is coming from?

@NotoriousBDG - Thanks for investing your time developing this. I installed it yesterday on my RPi hassio 0.89.2 instance as I have a number of battery based sensors I want to keep an eye on. However I am seeing some strange results…

The yale lock sensor is the only one reporting correcty however, the heating battery (a thermostat) should read 80% as can be seen here;

The Entrance, Kitchen, Patio are all contact sensors and should report in the same format battery level (100%);

And the Landing motion sensor (also 100%);

I’m fairly new to HA and hoping there is something obvious / dumb that I’ve missed. Please advise.

I seem to have a problem with IKEA controllers.
They are shown as sensors, and do present a battery_level in the states, so I’m not sur why it’s not being picked up?

IKEA would really be nice to have - and since it does list battery_level probably just needs some tweaking… Couldn’t manage it myself too…

1 Like

I actually see the switch twice, both as a sensor and as a switch

Only the IKEA switches are shown like this, twice, one as a sensor, and once as a switch.
The dampers are shown only as sensors.

Using the raw link on github to copy/paste from may help.

Can you post a screenshot of the entities from the states page? The attributes should help identify if they are created from the package and where the came from.

It’s likely because the battery_level attribute has a “%”, when it should just be a number without a unit. What component is creating those entities?

That’s because the Ikea component is creating battery sensors without setting device_class and creating a redundant battery_level attribute. The ideal fix is to get the Ikea component updated to set the device_class correctly.

Like I said above, the ideal fix would be to the Ikea component itself.

Hi NotoriousBDG, sure things, here it is:

Hi @NotoriousBDG, In my case, they are generated from the Hive component and are either battery levels for Window/Door sensors or the heating thermostat.

Those aren’t coming from this package. Since the magic cube is a zigbee device, it’s likely created by whichever component that manages that device.

I think the issue is due to these lines pyhiveapi/pyhiveapi/pyhiveapi.py at 3e849fcde43683b495c0cdcdd20189b16cbf27d5 · Rendili/pyhiveapi · GitHub and pyhiveapi/pyhiveapi/pyhiveapi.py at 3e849fcde43683b495c0cdcdd20189b16cbf27d5 · Rendili/pyhiveapi · GitHub. The % needs to be removed.

1 Like

And you are absolutely right, sir, that was it, thanks!

Thanks @NotoriousBDG. You will have to forgive my ignorance as it is not clear to me where or how do I make this change. I’m running hassio and I tried copying and updating the pyhiveapi.py script in my the custom_components folder, but this does not seem to have worked.

Thankyou very much for the great feedback @NotoriousBDG! It makes perfect sense to correct this the right way. I just went through my configs, I don’t import the IKEA anywhere, so maybe they were auto discovered??? Where do I make an enhancement request to fix this?

A whole other matter, I see in the 0.92 update notes:

MQTT - Pass Message object to MQTT message callbacks instead of topic , message and qos . Users of custom components please take note, these values are now available on the passed in message object: msg.topic , msg.message , msg.qos . The old method will continue to work for now but will print warnings.

Will this affect the battery warning in future versions?

Sorry, I’m not sure how to do that with hassio. Maybe you can open an issue on that github repo?

I’d recommend opening an issue on the Home Assistant github repo.

That looks like it’s an internal thing for Home Assistant. I don’t believe that will affect the package.