Hubitat Integration

I just installed my Hubitat, but I don’t have any devices on it yet. I can do some testing. I will try and migrate some devices over to it hopefully sooner than later.

It’s working really well so far, really pleased … still in testing but will be releasing another version by this weekend

1 Like

I will be patiently waiting. Unless you need another beta tester? :slight_smile: I’m currently using a bridge solution, Node-Red monitoring the web service event stream then converting to MQTT. It works but I welcome a change.

Just let me know if you need me to start migrating devices over for testing. I’m hoping to migrate from Wink to this platform.

Still hoping to release first version in a couple of days - get delayed slightly by a nasty gremlin in the HE handling of atomicState variables.

This release has more features implemented than I expected but does not yet have HA MQTT discovery protocol implemented for HE > HA discovery. The reverse automatic discovery from HA > HE is implemented using HA Statestream. Device types are initially lights and switches (maybe sensors) but this will be fleshed out later.

If you want to test this ‘alpha’ release then make sure you have PM’d me on the Hubitat community forum (username: kevin) as that’s where I’m sending the communication from.

ch

3 Likes

Hi xAPPO,
If I understand correctly, your project lets Hubitat control HA’s devices…
Will this let HA control Hubitat’s ZWave devices?

Yes… just enable a Hubitat Z-Wave device via MQTT with my app and use that in HA. Initially it only supports onoff and dim/level devices but will be expanded. Soon I will implement HA discovery too so it would then just appear in HA.

1 Like

alpha2 is released…

2 Likes

Is this still in the alpha stages?

Integration via API. The first step, only two Fibaro Z-Wave devices. For installation HACS or https://github.com/JiriKursky/hubitat

I see your note on GitHub about it being very slow? I’ve integrated the Maker API with ISY and HomeSeer and it’s near instant. As it’s a simple HTTP request do you have something blocking in between or network issues (packet loss) in between?

Hello, I am playing with z-wave 7 months and my knowledges are insufficient. I think, delay could be in z-wave communication. It does not matter if I am sending command from Hubitat (HE) or directly from Fibaro server. What seems to me that HE is waiting for ACK from device in dashboard. Fibaro server is not waiting it simply changes the state there and update real state later. What I am struggling is sending command to HE via API. If I am not wrong I am receiving answer with current state that can be during 5-10 second changed. I had to fix in integration. The second issue is that I can not ask too often <3 seconds. In shorter period HE is going down. If I am using motion detector for switching on lights from HA it is too late. And the last, if I have many motion detectors I can not ask each device in async scan interval. The reaction is far from instant. For that I am using “Get All Devices with Full Details” and answer is noticeably of course slower. The last point, I agree, there could be really issue with my LAN also :slight_smile:

A couple points for you… I may take a look at your code if you don’t mind.

1. Only use the Get All Details URL from the Maker API on component start or re-sync operations. This process is slow as it pulls all device info from the hub.

2. Use the hubitat eventsocket (websocket) connection for all device update information. This provide real-time device state on changes

3. When using the Maker API there is no confirmation of command other than a Success 200 response from the HTTP command.

If your device changes are slow whether from Hubitat or Fibaro then it’s likely a device/range issue. Create a virtual switch in Hubitat to use for testing purposes or bring one of the devices closer to the hub or take the hub to the device :slight_smile:

My answers, questions :slight_smile: :

1. Example: I have 5 motion detectors. If am asking them separately, I need 5 questions to each. I can not ask them in one batch - server HE is going down (necessary 3 seconds delay) and I must wait for answer. It will lead that for each sensor I am waiting at least 15 seconds.

2. Websocket - it is solution. However how to implement that on HE? According discussion websocket is existing but not supported. https://community.hubitat.com/t/suggestions-for-output-on-websockets/12369

3. Maker API is sending answer state of device after sending of command not only Succes 200.

Wall switch tested 1 meter from servers and of course only one Z-wave network active etc. :frowning:

You don’t ‘ask’ motion sensors they only report.

Correct it’s not official. Not many things with HASS are :slight_smile: The eventsocket works and is used internally by Hubitat for their own dashboards. It’s not going away but may get some changes/enhancements. To many community use for it to just vanish now without making a lot of customers VERY angry.

And? All you should care about is success/fail when sending a command to Maker API. The “results” are mirrored in the eventsocket output that would be used to update the HASS device state.

Sounds like you have a bad Z-Wave board or bad device to be that close and that slow.

I released next version and interface is working fine for me. I am struggling with Fibaro Button and Danalock in HA. There is no problem in HE with that. Real help with HE websocket is welcome, however I am saturated with manager academic helicopter view from my job :slightly_smiling_face:

Are you still working on this by any chance?

Does anyone have a working method of getting hubitat devices to show up and function inside home assistant?

Yes I have a Hubitat MQTT app in alpha , about to become open beta that publishes Hubitat devices to MQTT. It also advertises them to HA using its MQTT discovery protocol.

It can also do the reverse monitoring HA statestream to auto discover HA devices within HE

2 Likes

@jeubank Anyway you could create your Hubitat Mqtt Bridge as an add-on for Hassio? I am using the prebuilt hassio image so to my knowledge I have no way to add/manage any other docker containers. Better yet would it be better to use Hubitat’s Maker API and make an “official” integration into Home Assistant rather than relaying upon MQTT?