Hue motion sensor device class opening

Hi folks,

Could someone shed some light on what the device class ‘opening’ might be on my new Hue motion sensor?

friendly_name: Philips Hue Livingroom On/Off
device_class: opening

Take a look at the docs here, there’s also an explanation on how to change the device class. Please be informed that the state the device is showing like “open”, “closed”, etc. is only the state shown in the frontend, the “real” state will always be “on” and “off”, this is important when you do automations for example. You can see the “real” state under Developer Tools -> States

Thanks - I hadn’t seen that page.

What I’m mostly wondering about is what this particular sensor is about. It’s always off, but what is it referring to?

I don’t really understand, do you have multiple sensors for the same motion sensor?

Yep.

Hmm I don’t have this but I’m integrating the bulb through DeCONZ and not through the Hue bridge.In the Hue app you can configure the light to only turn on if the illuminance is below a level, this sensor could be representing this. When it’s on it should be turned on on motion and if it is off it should not be turned on.

I see. This is integrated directly through ZHA, and it’s motion sensor - not a bulb :wink:

Sidequestion: does DeConz require specific hardware to work?

My bad, was a typo :wink:

A ConBee II stick is all you need. You can ditch the Hue hub afterwards. I can highly recommend it, this way you can connect other ZigBee devices from different manufacturers as well, e.g. I also use Xiaomi Door/Window sensors and Ikea bulbs. In addition if you connect through DeCONZ, all events will be pushed to HA meaning instant, whereas with the Hue Bridge HA needs to poll the state at a specified interval which can/will cause delays. All my Hue Dimmer Remotes and Motion sensors report an event instantly.

Cool. I have a Ikea hub at the moment, and a Elelabs zigbee header for RPI.

Thx for the info.

If you buy the ConBee, I recommend getting an USB 2.0 extension cable as well and put the stick on the extension cable to avoid possible interferences.

Thanks for the info on Conbee/Deconz. I’ve gotten one, and damn that thing reports way better than the info I got through ZHA & the Elelabs shield.

1 Like

One question though: which attributes is it supposed to expose in HA for the motion sensor?

I’m seeing dark: True/False, and lux, but appareantely there’s supposed to be some ‘daylight’ parameter too, which I don’t see. Is that anything I need to look for?

Mine exposes a binary sensor for motion, a sensor for temperature, a sensor for illuminance and a sensor for battery level.

In Phoscon is a sensor called “philips daylight” or something like this, this is not related to the motion sensor, this is created automatically in Phoscon and not exposed to HA.

Well, I checked the REST output of phoscon, that one actually reports it all, it’s the integration in HA that doesn’t pick it up. I opened an issue.

Question, do you make your scenes in HA or in phoscon?

Yes, but I think HA doesn’t pick it up intentionally. This is a sensor created in phoscon based on info about latitude and longitude from HA as far as I know. Why do you need this sensor?

Depends on what you mean with scene. I only use Phoscon to add new devices to the ZigBee mesh, I do all the automations etc. in AppDaemon. I avoid creating scenes etc. in Phoscon to avoid overlap with HA automations and due to more complex automations, which are not possible in Phoscon because they involve non-ZigBee entities.

I found it funny that there were 15 comments on this thread,but never an answer to the OP question. haha. Now that’s my question too. Does anyone know what the On/Off sensor is for on the Hue motion sensor. I’m using ZHA integration. not deconz. Not sure if it changes or not, I just added the sensor a bit ago. I was thinking maybe a tamper sensor like some of my zwave devices, but not sure.

In case you still wanted to know, this post here seems to have got to the bottom of it

1 Like