I am stuck on the first boot - can't connect via browser

How do you install it? I thought, that you put the image, from the installation instructions on an sd card, which installs an OS + hass.io. But now that I already have an OS, what is the way to do it? Or do I need the same SD image, which means I basically need 2 SD cards?

I don’t understand why people don’t see this.

You do not need 2 SD cards. If you already have an up to date Raspian on your card that is the first major step.
The remaining instructions are a little scattered. I will post when I get home.

The Linux options, as written work on a PC but not a Raspberry Pi that is why I said the instructions are scattered. Some are in a README on Github.

OK, home now. Assuming you have Raspbian installed,

sudo -i

apt-get install software-properties-common

apt-get update -y

apt-get install -y apparmor-utils apt-transport-https avahi-daemon ca-certificates curl dbus jq network-manager socat

curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -s -- -m raspberrypi3

The additional instructions came from this page. The key is the machine architecture for the Pi on the last command.

2 Likes

A pi is running Linux. They’re the same instructions.

By default, the script will grab the architecture of the current running OS.

The OS os the sam ebut the developers call it a special platform. Please read my links before making yourself look foolish.
You get an error just following your link for Linux. I know that from experience.

I’ve read the page a hundred times.

Others have done it just fine…

By the way, if you’d bother to follow links yourself, you’d see the GitHub page is linked from my link…

The only place I see the hassio-build Github page mentioned is in the command URL. The hassio repo is a separate repo. I see no mention to that additional information in the README on the installer page of the build repo.

It’s literally a link in the section of the installation instructions I linked to. Not sure how you can miss the link.

Nope. I linked to the instructions. The link inside those instructions literally take you right to the repo with that information.

OK, that is weird. Thaanks for the correction. Ii was not obvious to me after looking at the whole page, though.
I assumed that link was just an anchor to the Linux in instructions further down the page.

Yay for consistency!

The first thing the script does is check the architecture.

ARCH=$(uname -m)

"arm" | "armv7l" | "armv6l")
        if [ -z $MACHINE ]; then
            echo "[ERROR] Please set machine for $ARCH"
            exit 1
        fi
        HOMEASSISTANT_DOCKER="$DOCKER_REPO/$MACHINE-homeassistant"
        HASSIO_DOCKER="$DOCKER_REPO/armhf-hassio-supervisor"
    ;;

So the installation tells you when it needs the machine type. So it needs the machine type but the script actually tells you it needs it.

If someone has basic reading skills, it’s pretty damn clear.

except the error for the Pi is to choose armv7 That does not appear to be an option in the documentation.

You should try to disable the DHCP server on your router and set a static IP to your RPI. Then re-enable DHCP when finished

1 Like

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? Having same issue with a fresh install. Getting that same “no ethernet” message and mine keeps trying to install via IPV6.

Thanks,

@fletch101e
I didn’t, I tried several things, reflashed the SD card a bunch of times, tried with wifi, called the cable company, but always had basically the same problem. After reading on reddid, that other people experience the same problem with the Pi 3b and after realizing, that I am not even using the recommended 32bit Pi version but the 64bit one, I decided to go the other route of installation, by installing the OS first, then hass.io via command line. This worked with very little problems.

2 Likes

OK thank you…I did not even know you could do it that way.

The first time I installed hassio on the 3b , it worked just fine! Not sure what is changed…I even installed an older install from Dec (that worked then) and got the same thing.

I thought maybe the pi itself was damaged.so the last thing I did last night was to install Raspbian on it and it did get a network connection just fine so it’s something else.
Let me keep trying and I will do it your way if nothing else works.

Thanks.

FWIW, I bought a new PI today and it has the EXACT same issue.

But I did some reading and one of the replies was that IPV6 from other devices in your house confuses the installer.

I never intentionally use IPV6 and normally disable it…but both my synology’s have a quickconnect service that uses it and it was accidentally enabled but not used. Disabled and no more IPV6 nonsense!!

Hope this helps someone else with this annoying issue.

1 Like

Ohh this was close - I have the exact same problem and I have also a Synology NAS but IPV6 is disabled - hmm. what can it then be???

Having the exact same problem but I’m using this img-file - but what you suggest is skipping HassOS and go for Home Assistant (hass.io) installed on Rasbian???: