I am totally noob with zigbee and tuya. And i need advice for smart thermostatic radiator valves

Hello dzegarra, are you still working on the part 3 for this very useful topic? I’ve got my payload structure ready but I am not really sure what to do next. Tried to ask in github but no one seems to be able help currently. Really hope to see part 3 soon =)

Hello

In case anyone is looking to buy a TRV, I recently found and bought the Saswell SEA-802 TRV here for €22.50 here:

I chose this one because it is visually more attractive than many of the valves in this price range. It’s pretty quiet. I haven’t had it long enough to be able to say how good it is at keeping the temperature in the room stable. I can confirm it works with home assistant. This is the zigbee2mqtt page.

Hi,
I wanted to buy the same ones for my Home. Could you update your experience with it?
Thank you!

Hi, sure. I bought it just as the summer season was starting so apart from occasional use it hasn’t been on much, so I can’t yet say how well it heats up and keeps the room at the right temperature.

It was easy to pair and integrate into HA. I use the Zigbee component, but it looks like zigbee2mqtt should work fine too.

I have some older programmable TRVs which have no connectivity. The display on them is hard to read and the UI is complex, especially trying to program them for a 7 day schedule. So for the new purchase, I wanted something that does not look geeky and is easy to change the current setting. This TRV does that, plus it is significantly quieter than the other units.

On the device, the current setpoint temperature is shown on the large LED display so can be read without needing to get close to it, also in the dark. The display is off most of the time - you have to press the control wheel in to turn it on. Turning the control wheel also turns the display on, and adjusts the setpoint up/down. Changes to the setpoint via control wheel are immediately visible in HA, where you can also adjust the setpoint. In addition, the current room temperature is sent to HA with 0.1C accuracy.

It would be nice to be able to see the open/close status of the valve, but that appears to not be sent via Zigbee according to the comments. Also, the battery reported low quite quickly. But that seems to be caused by issues with my Zigbee hub and not the device itself. I am using the Aldi Zigbee hub BTW, which is the rebranded Tuya gateway which can be freed from the cloud here.

Thanks for your quick response. Glad to hear that the led isn’t turned on 24/7. The built in thermometer sends the temperature to ha? Very convenient. I think that the data will be flawed when the radiator is turned on? Anyways I’ll buy some ZigBee thermometers with humidity sensors anyways. Do you know any cheap ones by chance? Cheapest I found are tuya ones for 7€ on AliExpress. Do you use rechargeable batteries for the valves? Because the run on 1.2V that might be the issue.

I didn’t notice a big problem when it was on. There is enough air circulation in the area where the radiator is, for the temperature to not rise significantly above the rest of the room and seem inaccurate. I haven’t tried using an independent thermometer to confirm that, though.

[…] ZigBee thermometers with humidity sensors anyways. Do you know any cheap ones by chance?

No, sorry I initially went with esphome based hardware, until I realised that Zigbee is (should be?) better for battery life. I’d be interested to hear what you end up using though.

Do you use rechargeable batteries for the valves? Because the run on 1.2V that might be the issue.

No I’m fairly sure I didn’t, but I’m not able to get to it to check at the moment.

I had assumed that it was something similar to this sort of problem, because the serial gateway process on the bridge keeps crashing.

Hi guys… Winter is coming :wink:

Which TRV would you chose and why: Siterwell GS361A-H04 or Tuya TS0601_thermostat?
From images I like more the Siterwell. Not sure if those Tuya’s white numbers on white cover are anyhow usable. I’m leaning towards Siterwell but would like to know its cons if any.

So far, I’m going to use them with zigbee2mqtt (Conbee II)

thanks in advance

I use the Tuya TS0601_thermostat (Moes HY368)
You are right, the white numbers on the white cover are not really readable during the day but who cares? It’s really nice and I do everything with the HA interface.

What I don’t like:

• The battery life (about 2/3 months life) is really short.

Otherwise, it works very well …

1 Like

When I change the batteries in mine I don’t have to change anything … maybe the firmware in mine is more up to date. If you are using zigbee2mqtt check for an OTA update :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s ok, I did an OTA update and did a test by changing the battery and it works.
I did not have to go through a new pairing of the TRV.

I am back because the TRV was recognized by zigbee2mqtt but no way to change the values, strange.
After a new pairing everything was back and I can change the values (temp, mode, lock, …)

1 Like

Nobody has experience with Siterwell?

I am trying to have it :slight_smile: just received some from Alibaba.
One is faulty, so having to discuss with the seller.

They look nice, the quality is not excellent (the external plastic is delicate) but I cannot pretend more from a 25$ a piece. They are smoothly recognised from Deconz and Zha, better with this last one I would say and much more stable. I migrated all my ZigBee elements to the Zha integration and for now it feels better for stability. There is a blueprint for trv heating that easily implement a simple control over each valve and when the time will come (end of October) I’ll see how all will effectively work.

Thank you very much

I found yet another one which seems to appear not long ago. Could be interesting: Moes BRT-100-TRV (and its whitelabels)

Comparing features (I’m using zigbe2mqtt compatibility pages) it offers more than mentioned Siterwells and Tuyas inlc weekday scheduler.
At the same time it’s a bit cheaper than those two above.
But most important question is how solid and reliable it is.

Why do you need features about weekly use? You will program as you like with the automation, so probably if you don’t use their app everything in addition will be not used :slight_smile:
I think they are the same product as Siterwell, just the cover is a bit different. So choose the one is more convenient for you

I’m not looking for more features. Obviously it is going to be automated by HA/NR. Just with newly appearing product I’m asking myself is it either better/more technically advanced/reliable or not.

I’ve just got some of these. I’ve got a Pi4 with a Raspbee II and just use HA’s ZHA for zigbee. These paired immediately. HA sees their temperature reading correctly but the set temperature is out by a factor of 10 (eg if the thermostat is set to 21deg, in HA it sees that as 2.1 deg)! I’ve seen this sort of thing written about before. Can anyone help with how I change the configuration so that HA and the TRV use the same set values?

Sorry but I cannot help with that, mine are working quite nicely without trimming the data received.
I bought 5 of that TRV, Siterwell GS361A-H04, and 4 are working nicely, firmware is updated but only the ZigBee part I was able to update, the module part was up to the company to provide and they haven’t done anything to help me. I went through the path of updating the firmware because one of them wasn’t working as the other, in fact, it has an older firmware that doesn’t allow me to add that TRV to a group but for the rest, everything else is working, so nevermind.
I am quite happy with them, they are nice looking and not expensive, 25$ each, with a clear display, perfectly working with ZHA, maybe they are consuming a bit the batteries but it is probably normal for the first round since I played a lot to see if all was working as expected.
If someone finds a way to update the internal module firmware, I’ll be anyway interested in it.
For everyone that will try them, I wish you good luck with your purchase because if you have some problem and need support, the producer is quite absent and only the Tuya support is really good and helpful, but as I said, they can help in update the ZigBee part of the firmware, not the module one.

1 Like

I should have updated my post here that a few weeks ago an HA update (I’m afraid I didn’t notice which) corrected these temperatures and now they’re working perfectly.

1 Like

Great, happy to hear that :slight_smile:

1 Like