I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

Btw, i have these three thermostats as devices, but i dont have them as entities like climate.bedroom, am i missing something?
i did remove badnest and all entities it had

my HA version is 0.117.6 i dont have any new available in supervisor

its strange, beacuse i get 3 devices and 6 entities (two sensors on each) no climate
and also no hub max, no climate.
wtf

Going up to 0.118 beta opens up so much more of the integration.

Also, I found that I had to go to Entities and remove each Bad Nest entity

It is however a beta so best to backup first. To be in the beta, go to Supervisor - System and enable beta

Oh great, i didnt know that! beta 0.118
now i have 4 entities (3 thermostats, 1 nest hub max) and 10 entities, climate entitites are visible to. wooohoo :sunglasses:

but… 1 thermostat is still not visible that i have in nest app. should i reinstall it in the app maybe?

Because Nest integration in 0.117.x doesn’t support thermostats (climate) yet. Read the release notes…

Should work in 0.118, if i’m not mistaken.

Might be worth a shot doing a reinstall of it all to get the 4th thermostat. I would say remove config, integration, each entity, reboot ha and try it all again.
Also, is that missing thermostat at the same home as the other 3?

James,

You’re the man! Thansk a lot for this manual, works like a charm!

2 Likes

You’re welcome. Im pleased it helped

Ugh - the new official google API has humidity as a ‘read only’ item… so, I may be stuck with badnest to automate humidity settings unless that changes.

James, I have seeing exactly the same thing as ‘denveronly’. I have two thermostats, in the same house, linked to the same account. Can control both in Nest app. Google asks for permission for both when setting up native Nest integration but HA shows up only one of them. I even took the offending thermostat off the account, did a full reset, added it back, removed Nest integration in HA and added it back again. No dice though. HA just doesn’t see it.

Do not know what to try next. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance.

ok, I am on 0.118.2 and the native Integration is working fine however I do not see the remote sensors… any ideas?

Can you give simple instructions to get nest_refresh for configuration? thats the only thing I can’t figure out.

Jim,
I highly recommend using the integration now that it is live and working. The set up is MUCH easier and the updates are in real time versus my approach of e very 20 seconds or so. Plus, you don’t have to setup AppDaemon. I did it as a stop gap measure and to learn, but the development of the integration was quicker than I anticipated.

To answer your question though, nest_refresh is the refresh token that you get from Google once you follow all the step and issue various “cURL” commands. There returned data in the step below yields the refresh token. Again, note the integration is FAR easier to setup.

I changed to the Official Device Access setup… looks like correctly but only the sensors show up in HA, I can’t control the thermostat…

@chilman4081 HA needs to be on 0.118.0 or higher to get the thermostat and cameras

Thank you, you are right.

Hi everyone a newbie here to Home Assistant. I have followed the guidance to link my Nest Thermostat to HA but have hit a brick wall. I seem to be getting the below, has anyone else seen this?

I have registered for Device Access, the device is active on my Google account, I have setup the Google Cloud Platform and create a project so have all my IDs etc. I seem to get the above when I go to link my account. Have I missed something?

I think I had the same when setting up. If you click advanced it then brings up a continue box or similar and you can carry on.

1 Like

Thanks @Tomiam.

Now on the access token. Not sure where I am suppose to paste this command as this doesn’t seem to work in Command Prompt in Windows

Are you following the steps here?

I have done all the above except point 14 was google.co.uk. I am on Get an access token from the below which doesn’t appear to be covered in your post:

https://developers.google.com/nest/device-access/authorize