I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

Hej, yes it’s working just had to refresh my token today

Hey guys! want to know if the integration is working for you today??? mine stop working.

Regards,

Hi - mine has stopped working as well… I have tried pulling new login token,cookie. but still not work.

Any advise on how to proceed? Which fork are you using, @shisva ?

1 Like

Small offtopic but since we have here so many Nest users… If you ever start to loose Wifi/Bluetooth signal from your Nest Thermostat, you better not reset it to defaults because then you end-up with basically bricked device (it works, but there is permanently a Download icon on the screen, you won’t be able to add it back to your account due to TD023 error and Google is not helpful whatsoever - i didn’t know it’s a thing until i bricked one of my own).

At least i bough the version with a stand so it’ll be a good paperweight.

Is there some update for this badnest integration ? The first “official” repo is gone (404) maybe there’s a new fork or something ? After the latest 2021.6 upgrade badnest stops working (disabled with ‘invalid config’ error)

I am really surprised that this (Badnest) integration is still be used. It has no future use this guide and migrate to official supported Nest Integration.

I’m not. That guide requires a google account to access Nest. There are a lot of users who stil have not transfered their Nest account to Google. I haven’t.

Genuinely curious to why not migrate? Is because of Google being so pervasive in our lives you feel like holding off on giving access to your thermostat?

It is quite the process so I can understand the hesitance.

Just out of curiosity, why?

Btw: This should be still able to use the native Nest API.

For me it is because the only Nest device I have is the nest protect and that is not supported by the core integration AFAIK.

Afaik this does not work with Home Assistant Operating System.

This. But also because I cannot be arsed to change it, I’m moving houses in November. And I still had it running because initially Google didn’t even support something like this.

Hold a sec, am I missing something? It’s not supported by the Core integration anyway so it doesn’t matter whether it’s on Nest’s or Google’s platform, right? So why it’s the reason not to migrate? (same goes for why it should be a reason to migrate :laughing: )

Btw: My account is migrated to Google, have three 3rd Gen thermostats, one NestE and since I have also six Protects I use the plugin mentioned above (probably until the official GoogleAPI/Core integration gets the Protects support.

HA OS doesn’t support HomeKit Controller integration? Sure, you are probably unable to install homebridge/HOOBS in the same Host but it doesn’t matter where it runs…

You’re missing the point. You’re absolutely right about everything. But it involves work I do not want to invest.

I did not migrate because of privacy issues and Google in general. Badnest worked fine, it solved a ‘problem’ I had when migrating to Home Assistant from Domoticz. It worked, and it kept working untill this release.

Perhaps a bit of: Don’t fix it if it ain’t broken.

And now… looking for an easy solve without migrating to Google. That said, perhaps it is the only ‘easy’ way at the moment.

1 Like

No pain no gain. Especially true when you realize we are at HA forum… :smiley: and Nest is “the obsolete way”.

Don’t be so naive that Google doesn’t have your informations already just because Nest was once a separate company…

If you don’t use Works with Nest, which is probably the only legitimate reason, there is no point in keeping a thing that will be killed anyway sooner or later.

I thought it is broken now :thinking: But don’t get me wrong, i respect your point of view and privacy concerns.

1 Like

If you want to continue using the BadNest integration just modify the manifest Json and add a version line. I dont have HTTPS setup on my instance or Nabu Casa so the official integration is a no go for me.

“version”: “1.0.0”,

2 Likes

After updating HA core to 2021.06 badnest stopped working. I had it running for my nest protect fire alarms. I am now trying to remove it but I am getting the error “Component error: badnest - Integration ‘badnest’ not found.” every time I try to restart HA. I have uninstalled badnest from hacs, deleted the entities and also removed the entries in configuration.yaml file but nothing seems to work. Can someone please help?

This conversation is refreshing. Thanks! :grinning:

p.s. I’m well aware it would be naive to think Google doesn’t know me. Consider it: I can’t play with it like I want to, so you will not get what you want. Nana nanana. (Spoken in a 3-year-old voice) :joy:

Damnit, that was easy! Thank you!

Did you get all of the Yaml mentions of BadNest? Theres 3 of them for me

badnest:
climate:
  - platform: badnest
sensor:
  - platform: badnest

You might also need to manually remove it from your custom components folder