I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

Damnit, that was easy! Thank you!

Did you get all of the Yaml mentions of BadNest? Theres 3 of them for me

badnest:
climate:
  - platform: badnest
sensor:
  - platform: badnest

You might also need to manually remove it from your custom components folder

I just checked again I still had the token and url still in the configuration.yaml file. It is now completely removed and I can restart ha.

I’ve tested adding the version but it seems it is not working neither. It is working for some of you? I thought it stop working for everybody.

Is it failing to setup or is there another issue? You might just need to refresh your login token.

Oh so the missing “version” line is what caused your issue. Ok then, knowing that I wouldn’t “forcing” you to migrate or change setup. :laughing:

I haven’t realized that badnest is old enough and not maintained to be one of those with compatibility issue without the string.

1 Like

It is working for me! Which error are you getting?

You’re missing the , behind “1.0.0”

@thunder2k @Jasper8472 it does not give too much information of the error.

• First the integration was not found. I suppose the problem of the version.
  • I tested others forks, that have the version included, and now the integration is found, but it does not start. HA tries during 5 minutes to start it, but is not able to do it. Not too much info in the log:
2021-06-04 13:04:54 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Waiting on integrations to complete setup: badnest
2021-06-04 13:05:54 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Waiting on integrations to complete setup: badnest
2021-06-04 13:06:54 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Waiting on integrations to complete setup: badnest
2021-06-04 13:07:55 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Waiting on integrations to complete setup: badnest
2021-06-04 13:08:42 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of badnest is taking longer than 300 seconds. Startup will proceed without waiting any longer
2021-06-04 13:08:42 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform badnest.climate: Unable to set up component.
  • I tried to change the credentials too without luck…

Some of you are using a fork with the version included or are you using the original/some fork and have you changed the version manually in the file?

I’m using the original version and I’ve manually added the version. One thing to notice, if you copy it from here, make sure you change the curly quotes with the straight ones.

Finally I fixed my problem… it seems I selected the wrong fork. I was using this:

and it was not working. Now I’m using this:

and it works perfectly. Yes, I know the name of the first repo was a sign…

Knowing that yours was working, was clear that something was wrong in my side…

hmmm - I seem stuck getting the bad nest working again. Things I have tried:

• updated fork to araines/badnest
  • pulled new cookies and token

I don’t see anything in my logs…

➜ config git:(master) ✗ more home-assistant.log|grep bad
2021-06-07 11:14:30 WARNING (SyncWorker_6) [homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration badnest which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant

for me, the fact that the official nest integration does not allow me to ‘write’ (is read only) the humidity value I require is a deal breaker.

my main goal for this integration is to automate my humidity setting in the winter.

I can confirm that GitHub - araines/badnest: A bad Nest integration that uses the web api to work after Works with Nest was shut down. works as before with nest protect and ha core 2021.6

Excellent and yes it works with the Badnest / araines fork, i was about to bite the bullet and sign up for the google nest account, but will no longer have to for the time being, hopefully this will keep me going for a bit longer for now.

It does not work for me. Updated the custom components badnest folder in the config (www) folder and pulled new token and cookie but it does not work. I also tried with the user_id and access_token but no luck. I am using the google account acess.

Thermostat hasn’t worked for about a year. My remote temperature sensors (and protects) work fine. Using Araines branch and google login.

Screenshot1

Screenshot2

I strange. I’m using the Araines fork. All works. But after some hours it complains about login not valid. I do the login again and change the config with the new values. It work but only some hours.

Someone knows why my login goes invalid after some hours?

It happen to me also, using araines fork, all working well until couple hours later. If I restart HA it will work again until couple hours later. I tried going through the issue_token and cookie setup procedure, again it will last for couple hours.