I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

It seems to me that it does not have an addon/custom-component for Home Assistant? So if we are at Home Assistant OS it seems we can’t use it in this way, right?

Thanks!

You can use the homebridge addon. Hoobs is the same thing with a fancy GUI added, but homebridge has added there own GUI so not much difference now.

1 Like

What’s the preferred fork these days? GitHub - araines/badnest: A bad Nest integration that uses the web api to work after Works with Nest was shut down. ?

I would switch to the new official integration but I have Protect devices which aren’t supported I think. Although the thermostat is important to me rather than the protects I admit.

It seems deprecated and I can’t find the hombridge addon in the repository. Maybe it was removed some time ago :frowning:

The homebridge addon appeared for me in my notifications as a new device found, without me doing anything? I installed it, and now have a QR code in my notifications for pairing it, and I dont know what to do next? As I am not an apple user (my wife is)

Sorry about that, didn’t realize it was deprecated.
You will have to install the Portainer addon, that will allow you to add any docker container you want.
I found a guide here for homebridge: Tutorial: add Homebridge to Hass.io using Portainer

1 Like

Thanks! I followed that guide and I have everything up and running again :+1:.

Thank you koconut !
I finally ditched the badnest and use the Portainer addon + follow the tutorial thread you quoted. Deployed the docker-compose onzu/homebridge:latest, and added The HomeBridge Nest Cam v7.4.0 plugin. since it uses the new google refreshToken instead of the issueToken, it’s 1000x easier and better. now my Nest Hello camera is finally staying up !

For what reason is the token better? Is it faster? Only downside right now: temperature readings are every half degree (*.5). With Badnest a reading of 22.3 was also possible. Does anyone know if this is also possible with the Homebridge Nest plugin?

Think of refreshToken as a long lived token, set-it-and-forget-it type. Less hassle is always better for me =)

1 Like

I think I’ve missed something… I’ve added the plugin in portainer (thanks @koconut for the link), I’ve added the Nest plugin with the issueToken and the cookie… my Home Assistant detected and added the Homebridge integration… but I don’t see anything of the Nest device.

I’m sure it must be some stupid thing that I don’t see…

Forget about my earlier message, two reboots of the Homebridge fixed the problem… Thanks!

Nope, araines/badnest doesn’t work, at least not with a Nest login.

2021-07-11 17:02:28 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up badnest
2021-07-11 17:02:30 ERROR (SyncWorker_3) [custom_components.badnest.api] Upstream error: 403 Client Error: Forbidden for url: https://home.nest.com/dropcam/api/login
2021-07-11 17:02:30 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component badnest

anyone managed to get smoke detectors to work again?

They work for me without issues, but not via badnest.

HOOBS/Homebridge is the way to go. :wink:

Can you please share some info on how to set it up?

Hi. Do you mind sharing how to setup HOOBS? I created docker using your command but no idea what to do next =)

ok, worked it out =) A bit of a hassle, but at least it works (dont know for how long).
How come it is available on HOOBs but not on HA? Setup for the plugin looks similar to what “bad nest” had when it worked

It does not tell which one is CO and which is another type of detection (fire?)
Interestingly that I have read that Nest protect has all these sensors, yet they are not exposed.
Temperature
Humidity
Motion (120° field of view up to 20 feet)
Ambient light
Accelerometer
Microphone

Could have been a fantastic product for the price if they allowed access to all the data

Look here. It’s way up in the thread.

Should restarting HA be sufficient for badnest to scan for any new thermostats? I am using the old Nest auth (can’t move to Google auth yet due to custom domain email) and I’ve tried to comment/uncomment out Badnest from my config but it still won’t pick up the new thermostat added to the same account…