I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

This has been a common issue that is due to how google is changing the API. Usually gets fixed in a few days. If you check above you can this this issue.

But we are following the new google authorization procedure with token and cookie so I think there must be something else, no?

Hi everyone,

I have using this with my Nest account since it came out. I recently decided to move over to using the Google Auth login and keep getting the error below. I’ve checked the token and cookie multiple times and am not sure how to troubleshoot. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Error during setup of component badnest
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py", line 174, in _async_setup_component
    component.setup, hass, processed_config  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/__init__.py", line 48, in setup
    region,
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/api.py", line 52, in __init__
    self.login()
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/api.py", line 70, in login
    self._login_google(self._issue_token, self._cookie)
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/api.py", line 82, in _login_google
    access_token = r.json()['access_token']
KeyError: 'access_token'
1 Like

Both mine (camera and thermo) still work using the forked version

1 Like

I updated because HACS said update available. I thought this version incorporated the fork code? What version are you using? I re-loaded the 12/17 fork and all works again.

Sorry…I would REALLY love to get this working and I was hoping someone might be able to confirm it worked. I have removed and re added my thermostats and no matter what I do I see no errors and only one shows up. Hoping maybe someone had seen and solved it.

I just updated to 4.04 with the latest HACS and it’s no longer working. Anyone else having a problem?

I get this error:

Platform error climate.badnest - Integration 'badnest' not found.
Platform error sensor.badnest - Integration 'badnest' not found.

I was able to fix it. Seems like after updating the badnest.zip isn’t auto unzipping. I put all the files in the badnest folder and then removed the .zip and the custom_component directory. Home Assistant said it was broken but I just rebooted and now it’s working again. Seems like there is an issue with the deployment

The plugin for my nest gen3 thermostat works.
However, the status always remains IDLE even with the boiler ON.
Why not switch from IDLE to ACTIVE?
Has anyone managed to add it?

Further to the unarchiving issue - a note for those of us that used the work around a few weeks back by direct editing the .JSON with the nest website access token and user id. Make sure to update the HA configuration.yaml with these credentials.

I got caught out!

Is there a way to check if you’re cookie / Token is working okay ?
As more people i can’t get the camera to show op. So i’am not 100 sure if the cookie and token is filled in okay.

Is there a way to make a larger window for the camera when clicked on like it does in the nest web page?

So you’re nest hello cam is working ?

With the forked version yes.

Did you manage to solve it? I have the same issue.

regards,

Ronald

Listen people. If you want your Nest cams or doorbell to work, you need to replace a few files with the ones in the forked version which has been stated here several times. The one in HACS will NOT work with cameras. I could probably share them in a zip file if required.

1 Like

@John_Schutte is the forked version you used the one at https://github.com/vinodmishra/badnest ?

Correct. That’s the pull that works with cameras. I did the update via HACS a few days ago and it broke. I just replaced it with that pull and cameras work again.

I did, it was my mistake. Instructions for the cookie say to click on the last iframe network call but i was using the last iframerpc… Once I realized this I looked for the last network call that had only iframe, which was right above the previous and copied the cookie. Worked right after. Hope that helps.

Just wanted to say Thank You @USA-RedDragon I struggled for months and then I fortunately found this thread.
Now I’m able to use my Nest Thermostat on HA.
I only have one issue: every time I restart HA I need to change the access token, and as far as I understood it expires after 1h. Is it possible to make it last longer?
Cris

I got my thermostat working, just missing my 3 protect… i’m using the “vinodmishra” fork… any solution?