I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

So I am currently using the vinodmishra fork to get my Nest Hello working, however, when I upload the forked api.py my thermostat starts throwing the error below.

Tue Feb 11 2020 16:29:49 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time)
Error while setting up badnest platform for climate
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py”, line 159, in _async_setup_platform
await asyncio.wait_for(asyncio.shield(task), SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py”, line 442, in wait_for
return fut.result()
File “/config/custom_components/badnest/climate.py”, line 76, in async_setup_platform
thermostats.append(NestClimate(thermostat, api))
File “/config/custom_components/badnest/climate.py”, line 117, in init
if self.device.device_data[device_id][‘target_humidity_enabled’]:
KeyError: ‘target_humidity_enabled’

If I replace the api.py with the merged version my thermostat works though my cameras disappear, any suggestions???

Howdy Y’all,

Super new to home automation, just started using HA last Saturday (3 days). I apologize if this is in bad form or outside of compliance with any community guidelines I haven’t familiarized myself with yet but this seems to work like a comment threat with people just throwing their problems up under the OP.

I had installed badnest via HACS and setup configuration.yaml as per the instructions for no Google Auth. I found that in this configuration I was only able to find my Nest temperature sensor, not the actual thermostat, camera, or protect sensors. Came down here and saw note of a forked version to use to get the camera to work, and I believe another post was alluding to the fork being required for the thermostat now too.

I’ve put the fork repo in, even deleted the original, but it still states USA-RedDragon as the author. I figure this is because he is the original author of this forked version and move forward. I uninstalled the original and I installed the new one from the forked repo I input, assuming no need to change config.yaml. Restarted and now I’m greeted with this error:

Invalid config

The following integrations and platforms could not be set up:

• badnest
  • badnest.climate
  • badnest.sensor
  • badnest.camera

Please check your config.

I assume the problem is that the access_token changed and go and check and see that there is a new one and throw it into my config. I reinstall badnest (to get the option to restart, is there a better way?) but I still get the error. I tried again in case I screwed the pooch pasting the access_token in somehow but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Anyone have any suggestions off the top of their heads on what I may be missing here?

Thanks in advance,

edit: Looks like you can have both repos in HACS, when I switch back to the original I get the temperature sensor back. Found restart in the UI. Am I understanding github wrong, when I look at contributors I see vindomishra as a contributor on the original project and it has a most recent commit date of 8 days as opposed to 2 months on his own github project. Which one am I supposed to be using? Neither works as of now for more than the Temp sensor.

You need to use the Google Auth method now. Nest changed some config in their API locking out the badnest.

I did this last night, was getting the exact same issue as you, moved to Google Auth and bingo bango, works.

Thanks to Red Dragan et al who have worked on and created this.

thnx it’s working here also using the fork.
The only question o’ve got at the moment, the resolution is not that high (as my other Unifi HD cam’s) .
Is there a way to get higher resolution ?

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve reconfigured using the Google login as suggested. I now see my Nest Protect Smoke Detector! Unfortunately I added that to the network yesterday. It shows that there are other integrations that can be seen with my account but still doesn’t want to give me the camera, thermostat, or door sensors.

edit: For giggles I just enabled both badnest integrations in HACS to see what would happen and I now have the camera added but still no thermostat or door sensors.

Badnest just stopped loading for me. Has been working for months. Getting error

The following integrations and platforms could not be set up:

badnest
badnest.climate
badnest.sensor
badnest.camera
Check your configuration

Have you tried to “reload” the cookie and token.

What do you mean by reload?

I created a new issue token and cookie. I had the same problem but recreating both solved it …

As @ronniebee mentioned above by “reload” i’ve meant to get a new token/cookie.

That fixed it. Thanks.

Some strange behavior over here : when de hassio installation is just rebooted the Nest cam works for a few minutes. After this “few minutes” the cam stops working. If i reboot the hassio installation again , the cam is working again for a few minutes :tired_face:
Are there more badnest users with the same issue ?

Hi! I am using badnest with the fork that enables the camera. I have it all working with the thermostat and cam, but the camera quality is pretty poor. Does anyone know how to improve it beyond the default?

I guess the bigger issue is that it is very delayed and low framerate. Does anyone know how to tweak the config to improve picture quality for framerate? Ideally it would match what the Nest app already does. Thanks!

What files do you take from the other GitHub? Just camera. Py,?

Just using the whole fork itself:

I have to report the same here, the fork “works” but only for a few minutes, then you’re back to a non-working feed, with no visible errors in the log.

Anyone found a solution to this?

I for the life of me can not get my second thermostat to show up. My nest learning thermostat shows up fine but my nest e does not. I have seen many people in this thread that have multiple thermostats get theirs to work. Any tricks to this?

badnest:
  issue_token: "big long thing home.nest.com"
  cookie: "OCAK=long token string"
  region: us

climate:
  - platform: badnest
    scan_interval: 10

Nest E isn’t supported by this integration, if i’m not mistaken.

Thanks for this excellent bad nest! It is so excellent and works so fine I would suggest Google to hire you as an developer. :smiley:

Just like a few people above, worked great for awhile but my 2nd thermostat went randomly unavailable and I haven’t been able to figure out why, nothing in the logs from what I can tell. Other items working just fine (3 Nest Protects, 1 other Thermostat and even the Nest Sensor that is tied to the not working thermostat)