I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

For those looking to use this for cameras, I’ve gone through and pulled what looked to be the best(?) parts of the various fixes and pull requests from the various forks and combined them here: https://github.com/mattsch/badnest

It’s working for me, and I’m happy to look at integrating other PR’s as needed but my primary focus was getting something that was workable.

3 Likes

Hey Matt! Can you please help me out!! I have spent a few days trying to get my thermostats working with no luck. I have several Nest Protects, two 3rd Gen thermostats, and one Nest Cam. I can get all the Protects to populate and one of the thermostats. Until I used your github repo my camera was not working but, thanks to you, it is now. I removed the working thermostat from my Nest account to see if it would pull the other one that wasn’t showing but, nothing. I have not added back to working thermostat but I’m pretty sure that one will work without issues if I add it back to my Nest account. I have changed the name and “location” in my Nest account of the thermostat that isn’t working but that did nothing. I have tried removing and re-adding the URL and Cookie a million times. I do not get a OCAK cookie, rather it starts with SID. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Matt, firstly thanks for picking up the mantel with this, really appreciated. Secondly, thanks for making it available in HACS.

I’ve just uninstalled my previous install and installed yours and it worked straight off the bat (I only have a Nest Hello). Only thing I noticed was the stream blink out of existence momentarily after it first came up.

Thanks again for your efforts.

1 Like

Did you ever figure this out? I have two thermostats and can only see one. I have tried everything I could image with no luck.

Sorry Sam, no clue off the top of my head. I don’t have a thermostat (or anything other than the cameras for that matter) so I’m afraid I can’t do much there to help.

Awesome! I did notice that the polling for images seems to be a bit less reliable than with the official nest integration. Not a big shock there I suppose and hopefully Google will hurry up with releasing the proper API so we don’t have to rely on these kludges.

1 Like

Thank you!

I’m in the same boat. My Hello doorbell, home hub, 2 protects, 2 temp sensors, and 1 of 2 thermostats show up without issue, but the last tstat won’t show up for the life of me.

I think I may have figured it out. I think the thermostat is the issue. Check your network info on the tstat and see if you have “msping” and “cloud comm” readings. Check the one that is working, you likely have those readings if it’s working. I cannot confirm that is my issue just yet but Nest is sending out a replacement tstat because of this. I will be able to test in about 10 days or so.

I just set this up on my HA and it’s picking up both of my thermostats and doorbell. On the original Nest API there was an attribute that showed the home/away indicator. I’m not seeing that with BadNest. Is that not available with this integration?

Why can i not find the cookie: "OCAK=… on the developer tool? Have google changes something that is no more work? Where can i really find the text beginning with OCAK?

I just set this up today and it worked perfectly. It’s not necessarily the exact letters “OCAK=” Mine started with “1P_JAR=” Just copy everything after Cookie in the Headers tab, under Request Headers.

Great work, thanks for your efforts on keeping this alive

Does anyone know if it’s possible to override the status of a Nest Protect in Home Assistant maybe using badnest? I’m trying to find a way to change their state to ‘smoke’ so that their alarms go off under a condition of my choosing ie. as part of an automation. I’ve run into the issue that I need a separate heat detector that can trigger my Protects, so I’m trying to find a workaround that could link their alarm states if I manage to find a heat detector that integrates with HA.
On that note, does anyone know of a heat alarm that integrates with HA (not a general smoke alarm, heat only)?

I had to change my google password and immediately my badnest integration stoped working. I looked again for my Issue_topic and Cookie but this last one does not start with “OCAK” anymore. I’ve got a cookie starting with “SID=”. I have copied my new cookie but i does not work, I’ve got the badnest invalid config integration. Anyone with this same problem? Any solution?

I am setting this up today for the first time… and I have the same issue you are experiencing, no more OCAK but I have SID.

But copying everithin after cookie worked for you? 3 days ago @pharpe said that “1P_JAR=” worked for him…

Yes. Worked on the first try. Both thermostats and camera came right up.

Well… I’ve tried to log in several times to home.nest.com and retrieved diferent cookie each time but with no luck. Even reinstalling badnest has no effect. I’m assuming that the problem is the cookie part as the issue_Token is always the same. Any suggestion please?

Anyway to record the cameras?

1 Like