I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

Based on my last update I had 2 working 3rd gen thermostats integrated and working fine but when I added an new Nest E it never showed up (neither using the Nest dev account integration nor using badnest) so I returned it back.

Luckily due to Earth day our Electricity supplier was providing discounts as well as credits so I went and added $30 dollars and bought a 3rd gen. After adding it to my existing Nest account and seeing it on the app etc, I still couldn’t see it on HA. I tried using the Nest dev integration I already have as well as badnest. Finally gave up so I tried to compare params on the working ones as well as the new one (they’re supposed to be the same h/w except the 2 are there from almost 3 years now). What i did notice was that this new one was having it’s device as Nest Learning 3rd gen… while the older 2 had number 5.4 for face, 3.4 for shell although the software was similar version on both (actually the new one had older s/w from factory).
I have worked/work on embedded devices and so thought if the s/w and h/w is similar then only thing that could be diff is some backend config or f/w and I went back to the device and looked up configs. There under Reset option I found an option call WWN (Works with Nest) and some explanation that if you reset the device in this WWN mode you need to add it back etc) - so after doing it the device restarted but didn’t connect to my app - was showing offline from the app as well as from the network. It asked me to add the WiFi details and pair the device again using the key based approach (not QR code - so seems it flashed an older f/w or some image) and after going thru the process I was able to see it on the app/Nest portal and then I tried to send curl command to try and see if the dev API would return 3 thermostat details v/s 2 and yes!! this was it.

I restarted HA and I am able to see all 3 thermostats using the default/legacy Nest integration. I went ahead and tried to also config the badnest component and there too I see all 3 thermostats in my entity list…

so it seems to work fine now…

Do you by any chance have one new (recently purchased 3rd gen - the one that doesn’t show up v/s a somewhat older one that works - because if so then it seems Google is shipping out newer ones with some f/w image or factory configs that doesn’t support WWN or the API that badnest uses). You may want to give it a shot and see if it helps you find both your themostats in HA via badnest… this setting is hidden inside the Reset options on the thermostat…

3 Likes

I had given up on badnset completely - nothing worked to discover my thermostats. This right here fixed it. Thank Sir!!!

Hallelujah! Thank you! 3 months monitoring of every answer on this topic is finished! Wow, so incredible!

fyi, my cookie starts from “SMSV=”

Badnest broke for me. I used to have an issue_token that started with OCAK, but when I follow the setup steps now I see SID instead. I copied everything after cookie which now with SID= and Badnest works (at least for now). It failed a few days later and I repeated the process with the new SID= and it’s currently working, but I worry it will fail in a few days again.

Wow, I’ve got a Gen3 wich I can’t see using de normal badnest configuraiton. A dummy tutorial of the whole process would be really helpfull. :yum:

The documentation on getting the token/userid (for Nest account) and cookie (for google account) is very clear on the badnest github page. Make sure you follow it as close as possible. Most of the folks have followed it and has worked. Except for the above issue I have tried to highlight and provide some insight on above related to WWN config on newer thermostats.
Is your badnest config correct and you see no errors/all logs on HA startup are clean? if so your badnest custom component should be good - I think?? Also have you tried to reset your thermostat as I mentioned above to legacy WWN mode? Please follow the reset procedure - seems to have worked for more folks now and that should help… You will have to physically reset it from the device itself not from the app/portal…
Also not sure if this works from google login/account as I still have my Nest account and dev WWN access (haven’t migrated yet and don’t intend to until Google moves to some open API for WWGH - Works with Google Home - I wish!!).

How did you get it to work? I cannot get it to work

This is what I have on the config:
badnest:

issue_token: “https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/iframerpc?action=issueToken&respons....home.nest.com

cookie: “SID=wgcTWKZ…”

region: us

climate:

• platform: badnest

scan_interval: 10

sensor:

• platform: badnest

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you for providing this workaround! I have my protect and thermostat working well in HA, however I cannot for the life of me get my doorbell and two outdoor cameras to work. Here’s my config:

# Bad Nest
badnest:
  issue_token: https://accounts.google.com/o/oautblahblahblahblahhome.nest.com
  cookie: OCAK=blahblahblah
  region: us

climate:
  - platform: badnest
    scan_interval: 10

camera:

sensor:

Is there anything above that is incorrect or are there any additional steps to enable cameras?

Are you using the forked version or the original from the first post?

I believe the one from the first post. I’m a bit of a novice at this. How do I install the forked version?

Do you use HACS?

Yes i use HACS

If you add this as a custom repository https://github.com/mattsch/badnest then install in HACS it is the forked version.

Just installed that forked version and I am getting the same results: Thermostat and Protect works but still am not seeing the cameras.

I too am having this issue. I’ve tried a few different forks of the code and all of them seem to struggle with this. Were you able to figure it out?

Nope. Tried two forks as well as the original and my doorbell and outdoor cameras so not appear in the integrations page. Only smoke detector and thermostat does.

My cookie is starting with “ANID=…”

Just wanted to say thank you, got this working with my thermostat!

The installation directions, need to change. Something changed on the cookie. It mine and others above no longer starts with OCAK. Mine started with SMSV. Does anyone know how long the cookie stays value for? I just needed to change mine again this morning.

Mines never changed yet. If you log out, rather than just shutting the tab as per the guidance, it’ll kill the cookie.