I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

First off thank you for making this. IT is awesome!

I’m a total Newbee that barely survives by cutting and pasting code I find to get done what I’m trying to do.

I need help, I’m trying to create an action that every time a physical button is pressed it moves my Nest Thermostat set point UP by 1 degree.

I already have the physical button being properly read by HASSIO, I just don’t know how to do the action side of making the NEST move up 1 degree.

Any help would be great.

Thanks for developing this great tool.

I just spent several hours trouble shooting it as I just couldn’t get it to work after installing and adding the lines in the config file. The integration was running but I couldn’t get it to do anything. I finally worked out what the issue was - two step authentication with the Nest account. Each time HA was restarted it was sending me a passcode to my phone instead of allowing the integration to run. Just thought I’d add this in case anyone else has this issue. I logged on to the Nest website and disabled the 2 step process and voila.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to add a control for hot water to this? My Nest Thermostat controls heating, but has a separate control for hot water and hot water boost. Would be great if this could be added in.

1 Like

Same here. My 3 protects have been picked up but alas also showing as 0 for each item. My protects are hard-wired so i can understand the lack on that. Looking at the py code I can see its just calling the current value so I’m not sure where to look for values. Having said that looking on the nest website it doesn’t seem to report current levels anyway so it might just be the way it works, anyone else seeing a value ?

Thanks for creating the integration @USA-RedDragon awesome job btw.

I’ve “tested” it (:laughing:) few days ago and “Heads-up” notification changes the “0” of the smoke_status to “2” so it works, it just doesn’t report userfriendly status.

1 Like

Thanks very much, if that sounds like normal then ill run some tests. Cheers @Nath

Does ‘badnest’ have the capability to write to humidity % setting?

I have the cameras setup correctly and I can see the feeds from each of my three cameras correctly. Is it possible to turn the cameras on/off? Google/Nest home/away sensing is TERRIBLE compared to my HA setup so I’d love to be able to turn the cameras on or off from HA.

Is this what you mean?
attributes

graph

Great job :slight_smile: . Unfortunately i’ve got some issues logging in. Tried 2FA as user/password. Got different errors but same result.

With 2FA

2019-11-26 19:49:08 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for badnest which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.
2019-11-26 19:49:16 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component badnest
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py", line 176, in _async_setup_component
    component.setup, hass, processed_config  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/__init__.py", line 49, in setup
    region,
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/api.py", line 54, in __init__
    self.login()
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/api.py", line 72, in login
    self._login_google(self._issue_token, self._cookie)
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/api.py", line 93, in _login_google
    access_token = r.json()['access_token']
KeyError: 'access_token'

username/password:

2019-11-26 22:35:30 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component badnest
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py", line 176, in _async_setup_component
    component.setup, hass, processed_config  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/__init__.py", line 49, in setup
    region,
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/api.py", line 54, in __init__
    self.login()
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/api.py", line 74, in login
    self._login_nest(self._email, self._password)
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/api.py", line 81, in _login_nest
    self._user_id = r.json()["userid"]
KeyError: 'userid'

Is this from teh Badnest set up?

answered my own question.

however from a noob, here is a question:

• how to tap into those filter attributes and use in a lovelace card?

I’m a noob to so this may not be the correct way, however I created a template sensor

- platform: template
    sensors:
      hallway_thermometer_humidity:
        friendly_name: "Hallway Humidity"
        unit_of_measurement: '%'
        value_template: "{{ state_attr('climate.09aa01ac271700xw', 'current_humidity') | round(0) }}"
        device_class: "humidity"

Yep I had a play too and this is working for me to display this graph using the temp sensor:

- platform: template
    sensors:
      indoor_temp:
        friendly_name: "Indoor Temperature"
        unit_of_measurement: 'degrees'
        value_template: "{{ state_attr('climate.living_room_thermostat', 'current_temperature') }}"

:+1: Great job

When I click on ‘install’ icon in HACS for badnest (after adding the correct repository), I see a spinning icon, then nothing… I don’t seem to be able to install… any ideas?

And your logs say?

2019-11-28 07:57:18 ERROR (MainThread) [hacs.repository.integration.USA-RedDragon.badnest] Download was not complete.

Question: I manually downloaded all of the files from the repository … is there a way to then install from the local files in hacs?

for some reason, i am not able to download inside of hacs…

I tried downloading “sudo wget…” all of the files into …/hacs/custom_components/hacs/badnest/… but it is not loading.

please advise - thanks!

I just set my one up this morning without any issues at all,
Using Sign in with Google.
Thanks Heaps. If you have one of those buy me a coffee links post it coz I owe you at least one!

Does anyone have this working with a UK/EU Nest E? I’ve got a 3rd gen that still works in the ‘old’ way, but would definitely jump ship if I could have both the 3rd gen and the E working via HA. :slight_smile: