iCloud3 v3 iDevice Tracker - Version 3

@gcobb321 thanks - fingers crossed
additional info: I deactivated the iCloud3 integration over night because iPad was ringing all the time and activated it this morning. Since the last 12 hours problem is calm again.

@bastero
Hi Juan, I looking at it now. I did se that it was getting set as Stationary when in a StatZone and when it was Away and moving and it had not moved since the last poll. An example of what that would do is, if you were on a short interval (15-secs, 30-secs) and stopped at a traffic light It would set the direction as Stationary when the last direction was Towards or AwayFrom. I’m going to change it to use the last direction when not in a zone and have not moved to see what that does.

Thanks Gary, I’ll give it a go to see if it responds as before, when you have it ready.
Cheers

Hey Gary @gcobb321

I just wanted to say congrats on this amazing project. I have been wanting to be able to access location data from my iphone and the family in a way just like this. Brilliant.

I have installed the latest v3 prerelease read through the docs and have it working well with my iPhone together with the HA companion app.

I am having trouble (i think it is operator = me error) but I went for a drive today and when I left home i expected the tracking to be quite frequent every 2 mins or so (depending on impact on battery) when I am away from home and travelling in a car but it was more like 40-50 mins so I am doing something wrong.

There are so many settings and I have tried changing them.

I was hoping you could give me some tips and tricks to try.

This is probably nonsense - but has anyone else noticed a correlation between tracked individuals entering/leaving the house and Home Assistant freezing?

Trying to figure out what might be causing my freezes and they definitely seem to coincide. Been an issue since February time I think.

@daneboom @bastero

Here is a preliminary copy of v3.0.1.

It includes changes to sensor & device tracker updates that will prevent freezing HA on and update and changes in the way the direction of travel is handled. See the ChangeLog.txt for a complete list of changes.

Unzip it to the icloud3 directory and restart HA.
icloud3_v3.0.1.zip

1 Like

Thanks @gcobb321 I’ll test and report if I see anything unusual. Really appreciate your support throughout the years!!

oh, wow, had no idea icloud3 could be the cause of the freezing, I’d just begun to notice a pattern with someone coming home and HA going unresponsive then restarting. Thanks, will try.

Now running v3.0.17 - if this fixes my freezes I’ll be sooooo happy

I am using version 3.0.17 - rc10.4. No previous installs. HA is asking me to upgrade to v 2.4.7 and I have been ignoring this.

Is there a new / stable version 3 now available?

one more question please. my phone with icloud3 tracker seems to be quite delayed to detect leaving the home zone. Compared to the HA app on the same phone. Can this be adjusted?

INZONE Interval is what you want - i think it defaults to two hours…so when you are in a labeled zone, there is a 2 hour delay. I dropped mine down to 15min

Thanks @demockery - I have the inzone tracking working quite well now.

My biggest problem is with using the icloud GPS data to calculate distance/speed - I need to get this working somehow. Yesterday I was driving at 2200 km/h at one point. haha.

Interestingly the HA companion app works quite well for estimating speed but it is not updating enough.

I’m still hopeful that I will get this all working. Everything else is now in place. Just need quality data that is frequent and has correct fix time data with the GPS coordinates.

@jata
Check the MobileApp device assigned to the iCloud3 device. The MobileApp will trigger zone enter/exit triggers that are picked up by iCloud3 within 5-secs of when they happen.

Unless it is a Watch that does not have the Mobile App. When another device leaves the zone, it notifies the Watch and other devices without the Mobile App to do a locate that would take it out of the zone.

Another thing you can do is create an automation with a trigger using another way of leaving Home. An example is when it disconnects from your Home network. Then run the icloud3 Update service call with a locate command for the Watch. See the Service Call chapter in the iCloud3 Docs about this.

I was actually wondering if this was possible! There is so much good stuff packed into this integration…it’s a little overwhelming at times. Lol.

@daneboom @bastero

Here is the latest v3.0.1b4

Unzip into the icloud3 directory and restart HA.
icloud3_v3.0.1b4.zip

Change Log : v3.0.1 - 3/15/2024

1. UPDATE SENSOR & DEVICE TRACKER ENTITIES (Improvement) - Changed the method of updating these items at the request of @balloob (Paulus Schousten, HA Founder) to prevent a potential Home Assistant lockup when doing an update.
  2. LOG FILE (Improvement) - Changed the method of updating the iCloud3 log files. Also changed some of the record formatting to improve readability.
  3. WAZE & CALC DISTANCE SENSORS (Fixed) - They were not being created.
  4. UPDATE DEVICES CONFIGURE SCREEN (Fixed) - The Picture parameter was listing every image file in the all of the www/ sub-directories. A filter was added to limit the search to specific directories. The filter is defined on the Tracking and Other Parameters screen. Only the first 25 image files in a directory will be displayed to prevent overloading the HA dropdown list handler.
  5. FIXED INTERVAL (Improvement) - The lowest interval was reduced from 5-minutes to 3-minutes.
  6. DIRECTION OF TRAVEL (Improvement) - Changed the way this is being updated. If the distance from Home is more than 400m/250mi, it will be set to FarAway.
  7. STATIONARY ZONE (Fixed) - The second device to enter an existing Stationary Zone was not saving the Stationary Zone info correctly.
3 Likes

Can iCloud3 be configured to include devices being tracked in the count for zone.home or is there an equivalent entity that iCloud3 offers with the current count of devices in the home zone?

@vaniello
The “count for zone.home” done best HA by looking at the lat/long of the device and seeing it that location is in the zone when the device Location is updated.

The zone results count on the Event Log when a device is located includes the number of devices in the different zones. iCloud3 does not include that number in any device o or sensor attributes.

The re is an option on the Configure Settings > Page 2 > Format Parameters screen what lets you select how the device tracker state is set - HA by the location or iCloud3 by the zone name. Try the different options and see if another one works better for you.

Is HA using the entries in the event log from a specific sensor in iCloud3? I had disabled a bunch of sensors because there was too much noise in my HA log so I probably need to reenable a sensor if that is what HA is looking for in the event log.

@vaniello
The count in zone.home (or another zone) is strictly HA and has nothing to do with iCloud3. It is figuring out the number of devices in a zone all by itself with info in the device_tracker state fields that are set to that zone. All miscounts are from HA.

Trying icloud3 tracker for the first time. Figured out how to not create statzon# entities. Now, I just need to figure out how to remove statzon1. Anyone knows???

2024-03-24_15-04-04