iCloud3 v3 iDevice Tracker - Version 3

@dimadon11
I never received it. Create an issue, zip the file and attach it to the issue description on GitHub. It might not be getting through Google’s filters.

Yep, its there:

@cweakland
Yes. You have highlighted it. That will send the Find My Phone request to the phone if it is using the FamShr as a data source.

Since update to 2024.6 I see several warnings related to iCloud3 in my log file:

2024-06-08 10:00:00.114 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.util.loop] Detected blocking call to open inside the event loop by custom integration 'icloud3' at custom_components/icloud3/support/hacs_ic3.py, line 70: with open(hacs_repository_file, 'r') as f: (offender: /config/custom_components/icloud3/support/hacs_ic3.py, line 70: with open(hacs_repository_file, 'r') as f:), please create a bug report at https://github.com/gcobb321/icloud3_v3/issues
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<frozen runpy>", line 198, in _run_module_as_main
  File "<frozen runpy>", line 88, in _run_code
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 223, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 209, in main
    exit_code = runner.run(runtime_conf)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/runner.py", line 190, in run
    return loop.run_until_complete(setup_and_run_hass(runtime_config))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/asyncio/base_events.py", line 672, in run_until_complete
    self.run_forever()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/asyncio/base_events.py", line 639, in run_forever
    self._run_once()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/asyncio/base_events.py", line 1988, in _run_once
    handle._run()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/asyncio/events.py", line 88, in _run
    self._context.run(self._callback, *self._args)
  File "/config/custom_components/icloud3/support/hacs_ic3.py", line 38, in check_hacs_icloud3_update_available
    hacs_ic3_items  = _get_hacs_ic3_data(hacs_repository_file)
  File "/config/custom_components/icloud3/support/hacs_ic3.py", line 70, in _get_hacs_ic3_data
    with open(hacs_repository_file, 'r') as f:

Anything to worry about?

I’m new to this integration, seems to be wortking great so far, thank you!

Question, for devices/persons with the mobile app installed on their device, in Home Assistant should the device tracker for the mobile app be used for a given erson? or should we just use the icloud3 tracker? Any benefit of both?

@cweakland
Just use the iCloud3 device tracker entity. iCloud3 monitors the mobile app device tracker and uses it’s location data when it is newer than the famshr iCloud location.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help here. your responding is very much appreciated.
to be clear, this isn’t a specific icloud3 app - it’s just the normal iOS Home Assistant app?

Prior to the iCloud3 integration I used to use the HA App + Local iBeacons + Wifi Router detection. Its been a few days now, but iCloud3 seems to be one of the best so far! I have personally seen too many bugs with iBeacons, so I have already decommissioned that. I was thinking about getting rid of the Wifi Router detection (it take 5 minutes to release a client from being “home”), and just use the HA app + iCloud3. Does any one else use just HA app + iCloud3, any issues?

@AlexA
Go to the iPhone App Store App. Search from Hone Assistant . Then download the Home Assistant app and follow the instructions in the Home Assistant Companion App guide.

@cweakland
Yes. Me and a lot of others. I’ve used the NetGear router HA component and it creates a million sensors and it’s slow to trigger updates based on the connection status. So I stopped using it. But you needed to trigger zone enter/exits and the Home Assistant companion app does that. T the Watch is the only problem because it’s complication does not do any locating function. For that, short inzone intervals work and identify zone exits on the next locate time. To help with this, when a device exits a zone and the Watch was nearby that device, an iCloud location update is requested for the Watch to see if it also left the zone.

I did that, now my position is stuck for days at home eventhough I am at work. I don’'t know what happend but for some time this device tracker get worse. It was working quite good previously :frowning:

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try.

@Proche72
Have you looked at the Event Log to see if there are any messages related to tracking your devices.

thanks for the point - I checked and it was not updating my iPhone location, only my apple watch. I have changed the settings fixed_interval back to 0 (from 10) and it is locating me again.

EDIT: it’s back to bad reporting:
10:49 I “fixed” it and I was located at work (TL), 11:37 I was out but not home, now I am at work still but it saying home (doma) :frowning:

Cannot find HA Mask Card. Can you post a link?
Really would like to save prior positions as tracks without using OwnTracks or other programs out side is HA.

@Sawadee
I meant the Home Assistant Map card

Ok thanks.
Trying to understand if I can get tracks on the map.

I’m seeing a similar situation. I have iCloud3 trigger a voice announcement over the SONOS system whenever I or my wife gets within 1/2 mile of the house. It’s been working fine (off and on) for about 3-4 months, but recently I’m starting to get the announcements triggered more than an hour after we have arrived home! (Very disconcerting.)

Version of iCloud3=?
Have you reviewed the Event Log to see how the triggers are being handled and the distances for each request as you approach Home?

I think I understand what you’re asking. You want a line drawn from point A to point B that shows the route an individual used? This would be an awesome feature - I’ll bet it could be done using the geocode location or the waze history but that’s beyond me.