IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged

Aaannnddd… all my remotes appear to be dead now :frowning:

It was a good 2 days :laughing:

So the Sonoff Wi-Fi Zigbee bridge is rubbish (as most sonoff Zigbee products are) It is the cause of the battery drain issue with Ikea remotes (if you’re just using the motion sensors, you should be ok). If you google around you can find out more.

I changed to a Tubes CC2652P2 about 7 months ago and its awesome.

Except… lol

SYMFONISK Sound Controller, all my other Ikea devices work great, except for this thing. Anyone have any fixes?

That’s wifi, not zigby

What is wi fi?

Is the Symfonisk is a wifi speaker?

Ahh I see, It is yes. But the controller for it is Zigbee

Ive never used the Sonos speakers, so no idea how that works.

But you can use use it with Alexa Media Player and Spotify (or any media player) to control it.

Im using it though ZHA and this blueprint

a hybrid. Worst of both worlds

No no, Its just Zigbee. I made an edit with more info :slight_smile:

my mistake, it’s a zigbee button. I thought you were talking about the speaker and was even more confused than usual.

1 Like

No worries, that’s me most days as well :wink:

1 Like

Did you update the firmware on the Sonoff? I think that is critical to getting this to work.

I can report that my 9 Ikea On/Off buttons (and two Aqara buttons) have been fine for about 7 weeks now.

All have been stable and all are reporting battery life of >= 87% and that has not change in the last 6 weeks.

I can also report that the battery life on my 9 IKEA roller blinds has dramatically improved. With all of the blinds reporting ~93% again after ~7 weeks.

My experience is/was:

1. IKEA hub: End Device Firmware updates long battery life, did NOT report button pushed to HA via integration
  2. Smarthings: No End Device Firmware updates and 2-4 day battery life on the buttons and 5 weeks on a roller blind charge, reported button pushes to HA via integration (charging the roller blinds every month is a PAIN)
  3. HUSBZB with ZHA: No End Device Firmware updates and 2-4 day battery life on the buttons (did not test blinds battery life)
  4. Conbee II with ZHA : Same as HUSBZB
  5. Sonoff 3.0 Zigbee Plus (flashed firmware) with Zigbee2MQTT: End device Firmware updates available (tricky to do) battery life on par with what IKEA’s documentation says we should expect.

In my case these are running in a 6,000 sqft (~550 sqm) house with 9 IKEA zigbee repeaters also talking to the Sonoff (and to each other) All of the buttons and/or blinds are within 4’ (~1m) of a repeater. Interestingly the buttons (and blinds) would pick the repeater that they liked best, often not the one that I had placed in the closest wall socket.

My lowest Link Quality is Button #6 and its repeater. (96/255) which are as about 40’ (12M) from the Sonoff Dongle

The Sonoff fixed this for me… But others are still struggling.

I should note that my AQARA buttons worked fine on every hub that I have (except the IKEA one) and did not have any battery problems so if you need a button that is an option too… Oh also under “curious” the AQARA buttons ignore the IKEA zigbee repeaters (which are within 4’) and instead link directly back to the Dongle which is about 30’ (9M) away through (at least) 3 drywall 2x6 load bearing walls…

YMMV

Don’t think so, I have a HUSBZB-1 and have the IKEA battery draining. No Sonoffs or CC2652P devices of any kind in sight.

1 Like

Any news on this front? My IKEA batteries all die within a week or two. All different kinds of IKEA Zigbee devices (switches, buttons). HUSBZB-1 upgraded to 6.7.8, ZHA, that’s it. There are like 10 issues on 10 different projects, and half of them locked by trigger happy bots, so I have no idea what the problem is.

I just bought a Tradfri switch because my Sengled switch also had this battery drain issue and the battery died in a day just like the Ikea switches. I upgraded the firmware in my HUSBZB-1 to 6.7.10 in hopes that it would fix the issue. I used this script with a little tweaking, and this firmware, and updated the baud rate in Home Assistant. I popped a fresh battery in my Ikea and Sengled switch but unfortunately the Ikea one has already died in a day. My Sengled switch is still going for now but I’m not sure for how much longer, the battery reporting in ZHA doesn’t update.

1 Like

How long is your time until battery devices are considered as unavailable? I’ve set mine to a silly amount of hours, that I don’t haave to push every button one time per day. I have currently no problems with dead batteries with zha and combee2

How did you do that?

Go to settings, Integrations, at zha click configure, set the timeout value there.

1 Like

Thanks mate!

It was the last place I looked :grinning:

What have you found to be the best timeout?

TBH, i just set it to a stupid amount aka the highest number it accepted

I have no issues, but I notice my buttons prefer connecting to the ikea range extender instead of the sonoff coordinator.