IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged

I had no problems with nortek and I have over 100 devices. Once I switched to the new sonoff zigbee 3.0 dongle I now have issues with my 5 button and a few dimmers not all but a few draining rapidly.

Hello.

Thatā€™s not good news :frowning:
I also bought a sonoff zigbee 3.0 dongle hoping this will fix the battery issues with the ikea buttons. When it arrives I will give it a test and share the results.

Same here - currently in transit (would be a nice xmas gift if it arrives :slight_smile: )

For the time being I am just ignoring the remotes until I have the hub - donā€™t want to keep buying batteries

I am saying that I actually started having issues after having 0 issues with nortek once I started using the sonoff.

So Iā€™m going to ask a naive question here because Iā€™ve been running very well with a sonoff zigbee bridge running tasmota and HA. However I had the battery drain problem with ikea remotes. People seem to rave about the range and capacity of the cc26xx based zigbee 3.0 adapters hence the reason I got the sonoff adapters. However Iā€™ve already tried it with zigbee2mqtt and many issues properly pairing with my devices that worked fine in ZHA. So I always thought a chipset was a chipset and this adapter should perform just like any other adapter with this chipset. I guess thatā€™s not the case? I hope others have luck with it.

This is so frustrating. I bought several of the Symfonisk remotes to control my Sonos speakers. Initially I set them up with the IKEA gateway and I never had any issues with battery life. Say 2 years and still OK. The problem is that the ikea gateway has insanely bad latency. Like 10-45 seconds before the Sonos reacts.

So this week I moved them over to CC2531 and ZHA (no problems with any of my Aqara sensors). Instantly the latency issue is gone and Sonos reacts as fast as any other input method. Yay! But less than one day later the batteries are dead. Put in brand new Duracell cells, again dead in one day.

I just purchased a Sonoff CC2652 coordinator stick in the hopes that it would solve the problem but itā€™s obvious from this thread that it will have been in vain.

Seems like itā€™s time to set these devices aside for now. Can anyone recommend a similar device like Symfonisk Remote that has rotary input and a click for play/stop?

Hi there. Just a note on ikea and sound remotes. I have that setup with the ikea hub and sumfonisk remotes. Works great. Maybe 1/2 second delay between pushing button and Sonos reaction. You might have interference with wifi perhaps? I made sure i have ikea hub different than my wifi and my zha sonoff hub.

Thank you for the feedback on your Symfonisk remotes. Do you know what Zigbee channel they utilize? I donā€™t see any options to change it in the IKEA app.

I have a Smartlight.me CC2652P based coordinator and have the Tradfri On/Off dimmer, shortcut button, and motion sensor all connected via zigbee2mqtt.

The On/Off button is still at 100% after several days, the motion sensor has sat at 74% for a couple of weeks, and the shortcut button is holding at 87% after several days.

If I connect the shortcut button to my Hubitat hub, it will be dead within 2 days.

I just added the 5 button remote today, and itā€™s currently getting an OTA update.

Did you use the button during that time? I think when it is used it drains significantly faster.

Yes, spent several hours using it last night, trying out various automation ideas on it.

Same problem here. My IKEA E1743 remote also only lasts 24h and the battery is then discharged to 2.2V and stops working. I use Zigbee2MQTT and a Silvercrest (LIDL) Gateway with the EZSP Protocol.

1 Like

Sigh. Iā€™ve got a 5 button remote and on/off switch, both of them last for less than 48 hours. Iā€™ve updated the firmware and used a brand battery, which makes no difference. Iā€™m using Sonoff Zigbee USB3.0 dongle plus and ZHA.

I put a brand new battery in mine, it reported 16% and was dead the next day :confused:

Adding a data point to this problem. Over the Christmas I decided to try and update the firmware on my blindsā€¦ I pull the IKEA Hub out of storage and plug it inā€¦ Unfortunately (Fortunately) I got busy with the Holidays and I never got around to the updateā€¦ But just adding that Hub to my Zigbee network meant that all 7 blinds were reporting low bat the next day and two days after that 4 had dead batteries.

IKEA needs to fix how their
Zigbee plays with others.

I got my sonoff zigbee 3.0 USB dongle 1 month ago, on the 28 of November.
I use the ZHA integration and I had to repair all my 14 devices.
So far the IKEA on/off switch is working fine and the battery is at 62%.
With the sonoff ZBBridge I had before the battery of the IKEA switch lasted 3 days max.

So it seems that for me this new coordinator fixed the issue :slight_smile:

I am eagerly awaiting mine to arrive as I think (well blind hope) that this will solve my issue, just want the nightmare to be over :slight_smile:

Hi, did you receive the Sonoff zigbee 3.0 yet? Any feedback if it indeed solves the battery issue?

Not yet :frowning: - it has been in transit for 30+ days

Hi there,

Iā€™m new to Zigbee with HA, using it since a week. (HA much longer)
But Iā€™m using the Sonoff 3.0 Plus Stick and a Tradfri 1810.
3 Batteries in the last 3 daysā€¦

Now I at least know whyā€¦ :frowning:

2 Likes