IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged

I wouldn’t mind whatever’s being reported. My issue is the remotes stop working after a day. Eating through an Energizer within 18-24 hours and then remotes don’t work anymore. Don’t know how to fix it. Probably will end up returning the remotes if I still can :pensive:

Hi all - I managed to get a reduction of ~20% over 24 hours using the suggested settings above:

checkin_interval (id: 0x0000) to 13200
fast_poll_timeout (id: 0x0003) to 1
long_poll_interval (id: 0x0001) to 24
short_poll_interval (id: 0x0002) to 4

This is with the remote running the latest firmware (I think) 0x23014631 and the zhaquirks.ikea.fivebtnremotezha.IkeaTradfriRemote quirk.

This is not ideal though as the same settings on another remote rendered it dead in < 24 hours :sleepy:

I am running Tasmota (9.5.0 (zbbridge) SDK 2_7_4_9/2.2.2-dev(38a443e)) on a Sonoff Zigbee Bridge paired to HASS over a socket connection (socket://192.168.0.108:8888).

Am I missing something simple?

I think this issue has many sides. It’s hard to find a pattern. Some versions, some Zigbee hardware and both ZHA and Zigbee2mqtt seems to be having the issue. As you’ve said, change of polling intervals have worked for one remote not the other. So we don’t know what’s wrong where! Not very encouraging!

I agree. For me the pattern seems to be the stability of your zigbee routing. If your zigbee mesh is stable and these buttons can always find the same path back to your hub then they work fine. The second that you have a power outage, add a new repeating device or make some other change to your zigbee mesh the ikea buttons repetitively ping the hub until they are dead.

About a week ago IKEA announced a new level of Firmware for these buttons. I have upgraded mine, but have been too busy to test them.

One thing that everyone agrees, the permanent fix for these buttons requires a firmware fix from IKEA.

EDIT… on the Smartthings form someone there did the firmware update and tested the buttons… The Battery drain problem still exists.

This seems to have extended the battery life from about 1 day to about 4 days for me. It helps but still doesn’t make the device usable.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for alternatives? I use mine for a CCW light (tunable white) where the main button is on/off, up/down for brightness, and left/right for white balance. So far I haven’t found any alternatives.

I have replaced a few of my IKEA buttons with Aqara buttons. The Aqara buttons are a pain to pair. But once hooked up they are quite reliable and so far I have over two months on my Aqara buttons which is about 30 times longer than the IKEA buttons. The Aqara buttons are almost exactly the same size as the IKEA buttons.

I had the same issues with the Sonoff zigbee hub and the Nortek dongle, so I changed to Aqara buttons and the Opple 6 button smart switches (each button provides 5 triggers, for a total of 30 triggers per switch. 2 and 4 button options are also available).

Then I changed to Conbee II and funnily the 2 Tradfri switches which I since re-activated have been working without the same noticeable battery drain…

I’m also running a Conbee 2 and my Tradfri buttons have been going for months despite reporting low battery. I think the issue is in the Zigbee radios that some people are using.

For what its worth I tried both a Conbee II and a HUSBZB with their associated “standard” integrations with HA and both were draining IKEA Buttons in 2-4 days. This is all about the Zigbee mesh network in you house. If it is rock stable then the IKEA buttons will work fine. The second your Hub rebuilds/changes/modifies the mesh (something that we can’t control) then the buttons will be dead in a few days.

The other thing I did was move all my zigbee bulbs onto a separate coordinator as I found instability where everything including the bulbs were in the same mesh. I believe the bulbs act as repeaters but did a poor job at that. In any case, maybe the Tradfri buttons are now working because there is overall better stability. No idea, really.

For what it is worth, mine is still running strong on the battery I installed before the summer… Im running the IKEA button on a Sonoff ZHA Bridge running Tasmota (latest version)…

I had the battery issue up to 2021.4 when they released this bug fix:

• Implement Ignore list for poll control configuration on Ikea devices (@Adminiuga - #48667 )

Clearly that is not the case for everybody.

Hi fellow sufferers. ;-(

I have an Odroid N2+ and TI CC2652R coordinator f/w 20210120 with 50 Zigbee devices, including 6 of the Ikea Tradfri On/Off remotes that were working fine and not eating batteries for some time (many months) when I first got them as part of the remote / lamp combos when I started with HA (on a RPi) a good while ago.

Because the ON/Off remotes were working so well (they just paired quickly / predictably and just ‘worked’) I also bought the round multifunction remote and the Shortcut button. Both of those seemed to eat batteries and then so started some of the On/Off remotes?

The two On/Off remotes that still seem to be working an not eating their batteries are firmware: 0x23079631 (if that reads right).

The SonOff PIRs, temperature and humidity sensors and SOS buttons seem to last for ages on the same battery (many many months).

The Lidl, Ikea and Philips lamps and Lidl / TP-Link switched sockets and a few ESP WiFi devices also seem pretty reliable.

I have just got a couple of SonOff door sensors and the one I have setup is still showing 100% battery after a couple of weeks.

I am tempted to go to Ikea and buy another couple of the On/Off switches just to see if it’s an age related thing?

I will also make a dummy CR2032 cell and power a remote from my bench PSU so I can see what sort of current they are drawing and if they carry on working when they have an inexhaustible supply?

As an aside HA itself has gone a bit wonky of late, not allowing me to create a new Automation (just flashes up then drops back to the automations list) and it all feeling a sluggish. ;-(

Over on the Samsung Smartthings forum, several have done this and yes they continue to work if they have an inexhaustible supply. Again, with the ST guys the latest theory on these devices all point to the Zigbee network mesh… a stable mesh means no issues… a changing mesh and these buttons refuse to switch to low power polling.

This is more than buttons… this issue impacts ALL battery powered IKEA devices… Blinds, Sensors and Buttons. When I had repeaters as part of my Zigbee mesh my IKEA blinds would also burn through batteries and would last about 3 weeks before their battery was dead (normal life is six months on a charge) … Once I removed all of the repeaters (and all zigbee devices that could act as a repeater) and relinked the blinds directly to my hub they have been working perfectly without the accelerated battery drain.

I have replaced most of my IKEA buttons with Aqara buttons and while they are a pain to pair they work great and have no battery issues (so far)

As for newer versus older buttons… IKEA released a firmware patch to their buttons about 2 weeks ago… It has not resolved the problem

And no surprise if you use these buttons as part of a zigbee network based on an IKEA hub then they work with no issues.

No surprise there, as in the IKEA philosophy you have to bind them directly to a (group of) bulb(s) or power plug(s)

Thanks very much for the reply and further insight on the issue.

Because my HA (Zigbee) system is fairly large and of a mix of makes and models of components, it’s difficult for me to pin down what happened when, especially when a seemingly random sub-set of the components starts acting strange. It’s not so bad of something stops working because you can generally go though basic steps to sort it out but this battery consumption issue isn’t one.

I bought 15 pounds worth of 4 x 4 Duracell CR2032 cells, not knowing what sort of life might be left in my general spare battery stock but have nearly killed all of them over about 5 and 3 different model Ikea remotes (the On/Off rocker, the small shortcut and the bigger multifunction remote). Ignoring the cost, it’s not good from a general ‘partly doing all this for the environment’ thing. ;-(

I have a SonOff single button (3 function) ZigBee push-button (SNZB-01) that provides manual-remote control of my modified Swish electric curtains (via an ESP32 and a 4 way relay board) that apart from last night where it appeared dead (ok this morning), has been bulletproof and is still sitting with the battery at 100%. Similar with a SOS button I currently have just toggling a desk lamp via an Lidl mains switched socket, once I got it working it’s ‘just worked’.

But I think I share the frustration mentioned by many here that it’s shame these Ikea devices aren’t currently completely predictable (I currently have two of the Ikea On/Off switches still showing 100% battery after several months that are all part of the same ZigBee mesh) because they are quite good, seem fairly well made and are a good price (especially when bought with a lamp).

I have paired one of the battery eating Ikea remotes directly with our Ikea bedroom light as it doesn’t need to be automated as such and we really enjoy the portable remote function. It’s been only a couple of days so far but I feel (and from what you have said) that the chances are it will probably be fine?

When I look at the visualisation of my network, most of the connections make sense so I assume it does have the ability to re-build / design / optimise the connections between repeaters and end devices automagically? eg, Is there any point pairing remote devices via the nearest repeater versus the coordinator as it will re-set the connection in any case?

Back to the Ikea On/Off switches … the real frustration is neither I nor the switches themselves realised there was a battery problem for quite a few months … and some switches still dont (for me and others I read here)? ;-(

Running Zigbee2MQTT version 1.22.0 zStack3x0 coordinator
20210319 - CC2652P) ,and using a E1743 (TRADFRI on/off switch
) , firmware :2.2.010 .
Home Assistant OS 6.6, supervisor-2021.10.8, Home Assistant 2021.11.3, core-2021.11.3,
This battery opperated switch runs on a CR battery and it was running fine for months. But after i started to play around with the option : ikea_ota_use_test_url: true i need because some other switches stoped reporting and needed a “beta” firmware to solve that . This switch won’t upgrade to the firmware version 2.3.079 which was running on some other (exactely te same) E1743 's .
I also tried the Z2M edge version for this, without any succes.

But nowadays i need to replace the CR battery every 2 days, thats a lot faster then the other 1743’s , and a lot faster then before ( normaly need to replace this every 1/2 year) ,

So are there still more people with this issue ? Or maybe /even better how tho solve this

Hi all - I have noticed something odd on my end - all my IKEA remotes are running the 0x23080631 firmware (still has the battery issue), however I am not seeing events triggered for the step right \ left buttons when I press them - normally they come through as an zha_event similar to this:

device_id: xxx
command: press
args:

Has anyone noticed this, or is it just me - also my previous settings mentioned above are a bit hit and miss - one remote is holding charge 100% fine now - the others are still dying within a day or 2 :frowning:

If you search, there is another thread where this has been reported by a few others.

1 Like

That’s a know issue at the moment a lot of people experience this ! There’s a way to flash some older firmware . I’ve done this today but because of the battery issue I can’t check it now (running out of CR2023 batteries).
For me the battery issue is by far more irritating :wink:

I though I just plugin the IKEA repeater (I got with the blinds), directly next to the switch. I thought thats It … but again. After inserting a new battery it was on 87%. I’ve never used it, after 5 days it drained directtly from 87 %to 11% and it was death. Previously I upgraded to the latest version… Now I wasted enough batteries, Im using now google assistant or my phone… :pensive: