IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged

So I upgraded the firmware on my switches and I also moved the pairing from the controller to a Tradfri light that I added to the Zigbee bridge and, unfortunately, it had no effect.

I see there are clusters we can set for this relating to polling time and so forth. Any one see if that will help? Are these values read only or can we actually set them?

1 Like

And boomā€¦ again ! Iā€™ve changed the battery 2 or 3 weeks go, it just went down from 90% to 45%. :confused:

Im using VARTA batteries now, still operating.

hmmmmmm, same problem.

Its got to be something to do with polling intervalsā€¦

My brain is too sleepy now to really get into this. But Iā€™m going to keep at it as Iā€™ve brought 3 of these switches now.

OK, got my head around it. Story so farā€¦

Setup ikea switch (via Conbee II) 5 days ago, and the battery had gone from full to 16%.
Looked through all the zigbee posts and made a few changes. And now the battery seems to be recovering - its gone UP from 16% to 34% in the last 18 hours or so. So Iā€™m concluding (with fingers crossed) that my zigbee twiddling has had some positive effect and is consuming less power allowing the cell to bounce back a bit.

So this is what I did;
It seems you canā€™t query the polling attributes from these switches, but you can set them. I also have an Fyrtur blind, and that does let you query them, and also its battery lasts forever. So I took the polling attributes from that and applied them to the switchā€¦

In Zigbee Network -> Devices -> ā€œIKEA of Sweden TRADFRI on/off switchā€ -> Manage Clusters
Select PollControl cluster
Set these attributes:

checkin_interval (id: 0x0000) to 13200
fast_poll_timeout (id: 0x0003) to 1
long_poll_interval (id: 0x0001) to 24
short_poll_interval (id: 0x0002) to 4

Can someone else try this and see if it makes any difference???

Thanks,
Amanda

3 Likes

I will. :slight_smile:

Done.
Iā€™ve you values for both ā€œMin rep intervalā€ and ā€œMax rep intervalā€ for all 4 parameters.
Weā€™ll see.

Hi, I tried the above settings as well for one of the IKEA remotes. I think the battery lastest a little longer, about 4 days or so but still not normal :frowning:
I have another remote connected to the SmartThings hub, which I still have for only this testing, and it the the sam type of battery is still goiing strong for at least 2 weeks now. So it must be something with the ZHA setting in Hassio. But really no idea where to look. Anyone any ideas?

Definitely a zha issue, as they last years (literally) in deconz.

1 Like

Same issue with Zigbee2MQTT.

Hmmm, strange. Battery in my ikea switch hasnā€™t really gone down much at all since making the cluster changes - and its still reporting in.

I am going to try the changes and report back. Some info, I think there might be two versions of this switch, at least from case pictures. I think I have original. Picture of firmware version of mine on ZHA below. I found the battery life of this switch poor when I had in on the ikea hub. I think I had to swap batteries twice in a 18 months use. But I put a brand new good brand battery in 8 days ago and added to ZHA and it is down to 3/4 it looks like already, 2nd picture below. Before any cluster attribute changes, the switch seems to ā€˜check inā€™ about once an hour with no use, 3nd picture

I brought 3 ikea switches 4 weeks ago, same firmware as yours.

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 18.18.09

I did look at cluster values that were recommended in this thread, and my values matched the recommended values. And I never changed any of these values in ZHA. I just moved the switch over from the Ikea hub/network to the ZHA hub/network.

Two more days, not a very useful time length, and battery level remains at ā€˜74ā€™.

I will continue to monitor over longer period.

These are nice little switches, I hope literally they do not SUCK :wink:

I bought the IKEA 5 button remote in Dec 20. It showed from the beginning only 20% battery. It was conectet to the tradfri hub. Now it was at 5% and I replaced by a new battery. This shows now only 16% conected via a deConz USB. Both batteries I measuered with 3.0V meaning they are still OK. Seems to be a wrong measurment of the remote or a data handling error. Will check how it behave reaching 0%.

I have issues with the 2 button-switch, but I donā€™t have any issue with the 5-button remote. Iā€™ve bought them together a few months ago.

Iā€™ve got the 5button remote in summer 2020, used the tradfri gateway for about a day and then switched over to a preflashed zigbee sticks and first zigbee2mqtt later switched over to zha. It reports sometimes itā€™s battery it came with is at 16%, but I ignore this until the remote stops working completely, but already bought new cells for it.

Any updates? Iā€™m seeing the same thing.

I have conbee II with ZHA

Man, I have 2 of these:

They last 24 hours.
Any solution?

Mine last 48 hours approx. And I have them hooked up with ZHA integration using a flashed Tasmota Zigbee Bridge. I must say that when I got them hooked up using a CC2531 usb stick and using the zigbee2mqtt integration, they lasted for several weeks. So at first I thought it must be something in the ZHA integration.
On the other hand, my Sonoff buttons are still at 100% after being used intensively for weeks using the ZHA integration trough the Tasmota Zigbee hub.
I seriously donā€™t know where to start looking for a solution.