IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged

Is the red light flashing on the remote when you use it?
That’s the built in battery warning

Yes it does. They eat trough my battrries in 48 hours. Red light flashing after a few hours.
I use these cheap ass 2032 batteries from action. 10 for 3 euro’s. Havnt tried with a good brand like duracell or varta yet. 5,50 euro for 2pcs.

I have got 2 years out of mine so far, (motion sensors, remotes and on/off switches). I’ve changed a few of them since I bought them but some are still on the original batteries. I use deconz though. The remotes are asleep most of the time unless their pressed. Zha must be waking them up constantly. I’m not how or where you would change this but there must be a way to keep them awake as they need to be awake for software updates etc.

1 Like

I’m no coder, but i think they should only be awaken when they are pressed. Maybe occasional ping to the hub with battery stats. Updates would be better manually. I also think they drain because ZHA keeps them awake.
Maybe some settings can be tweaked using clusters option in homeassistant.
Anyone know anything about this?

Oddly my switch like that has been really good. I haven’t replaced the batteries in months.

My sounds controller, however, dies in days. I tried the updated cluster settings (to reduce polling) and that didn’t help either.

No idea why these things are burning through their batteries but it’s frustrating.

Man I have Xiaomi Aqara, the round one which can be double/triple/quadruple clicked.
I never changed battery on that device.
Must be, don’t know, two years.
And in three years I never changed batteries on my ZigBee door sensors.

And you all use the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge flashed with TASMOTAZB?

No, but I’m using ZHA, bitronvideo(Amazon) usb key, original firmware. EZSP / bellows, I think it’s the same of sonoff flashes bridge.

I am, same issue. Would love a fix

@samnwman86
Thank you for your answer.
Meanwhile I recognized that the behaviour is much stranger. Your right, if the battery signal is low e.g. 11% the switch flashs red. But the next day the battery level could be 60%. Today it is 47%. Inbetween it was 80%.
I thought about bringing it back to IKEA, but as they are closed I will leave it like it is.

1 Like

Exactly the same for me.
I use 2 of them and the battery keeps changing between 10% and 80% everyday.

I have two of their remotes and they’ve sat at 16% almost since day one… been using them about a year now. I also have two of their plain on/off remotes, they’re around 47% again used for around a year now… those on/off remotes have drained as you’d expect a battery device to

Mine did too drain very fast. But it’s something ot the last weeks. Before I used zigbee2mqtt and i had them up for weeks.
Will try the following on my Sonoff Zigbee hub. And if it wont work get back to the Zigbee stick and try that.

https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Zigbee/

Using ZHA here. Something changed - my original batteries lasted a few months but now every time they are replaced (high quality energizer) they last about 24hrs.

Edit: looks like some people are on it trying to fix:

I just picked up one of the 5 button remotes and set it up 3 days ago, the battery level when first installed reported at 100% and after 24 hours dropped to 85% then this morning showed as 60%

I use a HUSBZB stick and get good battery life from my other non Ikea devices, I have some Aqara door sensors, Smartthings buttons & motion sensor and a Z-Wave motion sensor. I have a test rig setup with a Deconz dongle that I have used in the past to update the firmware on my Ikea plugs and light bulbs. Reading through this post it doesn’t seem like it is a firmware issue but I figured I would see if I could update it anyway.

Will keep an eye on this thread to see if there is any resolution

1 Like

Looking at the linked issue I seem to need to upgrade my EZSP firmware on my ZBBridge but when I uploaded the latest version Tasmota complains that the image is in the wrong format.

Is there a specific technique used to upgrade this firmware? The instructions from here:

Seem to indicate I should just be able to upload the firmware (which, I might add, has this in the release notes):

## EmberZNet NCP UART EZSP firmware signed for Sonoff ZBBridge

- `ncp-uart-sw_6.7.6_115200.ota` - original stable version for EZSP v8 compatible hosts, contains a bug that can cause battery of IKEA and Philips remotes to drain
- `ncp-uart-sw-6.7.8_115200.ota` - NEW: recommended stable version for EZSP v8 compatible hosts.

Hello.

Thank you for the information.
I was able to flash the new firmware based on the instructions from here.

You first need to go to the console and run:
Backlog Weblog 3; so65 1; Module 75

Then flash the firmware

Then run the command:

backlog rule1 on system#boot do TCPStart 8888 endon ; rule1 1 ; template {"NAME":"Sonoff ZHABridge","GPIO":[56,208,0,209,59,58,0,0,0,0,0,0,17],"FLAG":0,"BASE":18} ; module 0

This worked for me and I will now test if the battery issues are solved with the IKEA switch

1 Like

Did you have to repair all your devices? I can’t seem to control my devices once I followed that procedure.

Yes, some of them I had to pair again.

OK, that’s frustrating but at least I don’t have a ton of devices yet.