IKEA Trådfri Gateway [Zigbee]

Update #3: I’m also able to control my Philips Hue lights using the IKEA Gateway and the HASS light component. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Silly question. i am new to Home Assistant. please can you give me an example of the configuration to get this going?

Thanks

The feature hasn’t been released yet. It most likely will be around April 22 though.

I am on the dev branch of home assistant just looking for an example config please

I see. Please have a look here for config:
https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/7074

1 Like

Hey folks - QQ
I saw on this youtube that a steering device (remote control) is needed to operate the system.
Hub + app and bulbs alone is not sufficient.
Is this limitation also in place with HA?

Great read! But why is CoAP being used? If I understand correctly it is used for communicating between app and hub. This doesn’t really require a low overhead protocol like CoAP. Trying to learn here so can anyone explain this a bit more?

I’ve gotten my own starter set yesterday and love it!
I was wondering, cannot seem to find it anywhere, is it possible to “intercept” button presses on the remote? for instance: when i press the lights off button, shut down all the lights in that room (not only the Tradfri lights).
I could off course read the state of the light itself, but that might not be handy at all times (when setting some kind of mood or whatever).

I think you need the streaming part of the API which the Hass community didn’t figure out yet… So possibly in the future…?

I’m going to go and buy some in a few hours, mainly because they have an e14 version and hue doesn’t.

I see that you can control hue lights from the ikea gateway. What’s the best thing to do? Control all bulbs with one gateway (can I use the hue bridge?) or can you/should you run both gateways?

Hue does have e14 now
From a month or so back

1 Like

Hi guys, Im trying to make Ikea TRADFI lights work with 0.43 release (clean installation) but Im not able to. I have a getaway which is discovered in configurator of HA but when I type/paste security code it will not connect and write “unable to connect”. Do anybody have an idea what Im doing wrongly? Thanks!

Hi,

I needed to install also automake and autconf together with the libtool, maybe
sudo apt-get install automake autoconf

can be added to the doucmentation?

Having this exact issue, have tried both with and without the configuration in my configuration.yaml, and get same results either way.

The current integration needs a special version of libcoap. Install instructions are in in the tradfri component documentation. This should have been mentioned in the release announcement (imho). I think the goal is to use a pure python coap library as soon as it is compatible with the tradfri coap+dtls implemtation.

Same problem for me (coap-client built with dtls-support and installed in /usr/local/bin and working from prompt)

I have it working from cli just not within home assistant

I installed everything according to the documentation, but I am getting error messages in the log and the lights do not respond.
> 17-04-22 17:23:48 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.entity] Update for light.stehlampe fails

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 225, in async_update_ha_state
    None, self.update)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/asyncio/futures.py", line 361, in __iter__
    yield self  # This tells Task to wait for completion.
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/asyncio/tasks.py", line 296, in _wakeup
    future.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/asyncio/futures.py", line 274, in result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 55, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/light/tradfri.py", line 130, in update
    self._light.update()
  File "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/deps/pytradfri/device.py", line 85, in update
    self.raw = self.api('get', self.path)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/deps/pytradfri/api.py", line 12, in retry_api
    return api(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/deps/pytradfri/coap_cli.py", line 53, in request
    raise RequestTimeout() from None
pytradfri.error.RequestTimeout

Does the motion sensor work with HA? (The IKEA one)

1 Like

very interested as well