IKEA Smart Lighting (Zigbee)

@anon35356645, I use the lightify component, yes, but don’t have any Tradfri sensor; only the E27 and GU10, both white with changeable color temperature.

Ok, in case you buy/try the sensor let me know if it works with the lightyfy gateway

1 Like

anyone has tried the remote controls? especially the dimmers look very nice and simple. also the price point is good. so they could replace my light switches If I could pair them with my hue system

2 Likes

I just made the same service call and there’s the temp slider! Thanks!

My lightify app has always shown the tradfri bulb as “not paired correctly”, even though it works for On/Off/Dim. Is that something you got on yours too?

All of a sudden, the wait is over. The Ikea gateway will be integrated in hass very soon!

1 Like

Ooops posted in wrong tradfri thread.

Maybe the other thread should be closed as a dup?

1 Like

As I have understood it you need a remote to include the light to the gateway.

Thanks.
That is a bit weird, and also odd that the gateway page for ikea does not mention it: (from UK site)

Good to know

Can only be used with IKEA Smart lighting products.
We continuously update the TRÅDFRI app with more functions and possibilities.
You need the TRÅDFRI gateway to use the TRÅDFRI app. Download the app for free via Google Play or App Store, depending on which mobile device you have.
TRÅDFRI app works with Android (at least KitKat 4.4 or Lollipop 5.0) and iOS (at least iOS 8).
To use the gateway you need an internet connection.
Use the included ethernet cable to connect the gateway to your internet.
Hidden cable management for ethernet and power cables.
Designer

IKEA of Sweden

Aha maybe its what this cryptic page in the gw manual means?

:joy: I agree - that is not very straight forward information about that, but I would guess yes.

There are a couple of things that I really want to know about. It’s all about the HA integration that rolls out in a couple of days, but maybe someone here already has some answers?

1. When using the Tradfri gateway, are you still able to control Philips Hue Color lights? I suppose it works because the gateway is Zigbee compliant, but IKEA doesn’t sell any color bulbs so far so just checking.
  2. Does the Tradfri gateway support stuff like scenes and rooms like Hue does (meaning not the HA scenes, but Hue scenes)?
  3. Can the Tradfri Remote be used for a specific subset of lights, like one room and not the other? And can you use multiple remotes in a house?
  4. And for me the biggest question: does the Tradfri gateway support local push for non-Tradfri (Hue, Lightify, other) bulbs? I have ideas for a couple of automations that rely on getting direct state information from the lights and have been frustrated that Hue doesn’t support this so far and I really really hope this will work with Tradfri. Again, Zigbee compliant so I expect it to work, but you never know with Philips.

Thanks a lot for any answers!

And in reply to @teachingbirds and @hijinx: I bought a set this morning, but didn’t by the remote. The app requires you pair a remote, dimmer button or motion sensor first before you can add lights. So yeah, you really need one of these devices.

Picked up a button this morning but won’t be able to set it up until tonight. But another question popped up:

1. Will we be able to pick up “button pushed” signals through local push also? Because in that case we could use these buttons for all kinds of cases as a general purpose input button for HA.

It would be awesome to push just one button and control all the smart and dumb bulbs together (dumb ones being hooked up with Sonoffs for instance)!

2 Likes

Also to dim and change col temp.
Do we know, does the switch support double click and push/hold/release? (i.e. like the Xiaomi does).

Does this system allow for two way communication and commands? i.e. the hub can update HASS with status and HASS can turn lights on/off/dim?

@silvrr Yes it does, if I understand the blog post correctly. Check the part on “Local Push”, as well as the link to the other blog post in that paragraph. To me this is a major advantage over Hue, that doesn’t push state updates to HA. This is all because of a different approach to Zigbee (Hue uses the more general purpose ZHA vs IKEA using the more light specific ZLL standard).

I think it’s the other way around. Hue is based on zll and ikea zha. And the local push thing is purely design decision from manufacturer

we could use tradfri accessories for lots of stuff

Has anyone tried to pair Xiaomi (or any other) zigbee sensors with the IKEA hub?

According to this thread on the SmartThings forum, the Xiaomi lights use their own proprietary protocol over Zigbee rather than ZLL or ZHA, so interop with them isn’t likely to happen.

Has anyone tried pairing the Tradfri bulbs with Xiaomi’s Gateway?