Ikea Tradfri PIR Sensor Experience

well, my ikea sensors works, but sometimes like 1 out of 5 times, i have a timeout/latency of 2 seconds
also firmware and everything is up to data, i now ordered the xiami aqara body sensor, seems that one is far better… wi will see when it arrives from ali :slight_smile:

Yeah the Aqara PIRs are so much better and drain less battery. Also do they react very fast and have an illumination sensor. Only downside is that they have a “blind eye” of 2 minutes which to my knowledge can not be changed. This means that if you want the sensor to work properly you will need an automation and script for it. Otherwise they are the best PIRs for the price.

My ikea pir is crap too. Battery life is horrible (especially considered that they need 2). Nah I have just ditched them for Xiaomi PIRs. Cheaper, way smaller, reacts much faster, hugely better battery life and has an illumination sensor.

I really like Hue motion sensor. You get pir, Lux and temperature reported and the mounting solution is novel and easy to fine tune. The ikea are cheap and slow and poor mounting options. Didn’t like them at all. Haven’t tried out the Xiaomi pir so can’t say anything there.

ah, i think ikea sensors have an blind eye for 1 minut? its changeble though on back side?
i am using this automation for ikea pir, i want to have a minumum of 2 minutes light in the, probably i can use the same for the aqara? and maybe i dont even need the FOR config, since its already 2 minutes as default?
in automation below, its for IKEA PIR? default blind eye is 1 minut, so i extend it with 60 seconds
so i need to remove the 60 seconds, otherwise it will be 3 minutes with the Aqara?

- alias: Motion WC Boven On
  initial_state: 'on'
  trigger:
  - entity_id: binary_sensor.tradfri_motion_sensor2
    platform: state
    to: 'on'
  action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    entity_id: light.wcboven

- alias: Motion WC Boven Off
  initial_state: 'on'
  trigger:
  - entity_id: binary_sensor.tradfri_motion_sensor2
    platform: state
    to: 'off'
    for:
      seconds: 60     
  action:
  - service: light.turn_off
    entity_id: light.wcboven

so, also , even if i want the light to be on like 60 seconds, how do you accomplish this if the timer is 2 minutes on the aqara?

I also recently picked up a couple Osram Smart+ Motion sensors. My local electronics shop had them marked down to just €10 each. They work well with only like 30 seconds “blind eye” time. They also record temperature.

The only downside is the battery seems to have drained fast as it reports even tiny changes in temperature but they seem to have settled now. Didn’t note how full the battery was reporting when I first paired them. They use a CR2 battery.

You can’t as the sensor won’t trigger again in those 2 minutes. So to make the automation you should make it 2 minutes. I have used scripts though.

I will share my automation when I get home.

ok, that sux :slight_smile:

That is exactly what I thought, but men these things work so good (sometimes a bit too good haha). I have ditched my ikea PIRs for these. Unfortunately it is minimum 2 minutes, but honestly in my own situation it seems that those 2 minutes are not sufficiently long enough for the toilet.

I won’t be home any time soon, but you could check out my complete config here:

https://github.com/jimz011/HA

Edit: some automations might look weird as I use Dutch and English mixed sorry about that.

no problem, dutch speaker here also :slight_smile:

Hi all I just got a Conbee II usb stick from Dresden Elektronik and have tried to connect an IKEA Tradfri motion sensor, without success. Am I right that now it should work without the IKEA gateway? The Phoscon app certainly seems like it should, but whatever I do with the motion sensor, the 3 minutes always pass without any new sensor detection. But: it works well with an IKEA Tradfri bulb (without HA or gateway).
Is there a trick or detail that I need to make sure I’m doing to pair/connect the motion sensor to the Phoscon app? Cheers

Try to keep it very close to the conbee stick when pairing

Thanks, but I’ve tried many times now, without success, then got the 5-button round remote control from IKEA, also tried with that one, again non success. I’ve come to think it’s the conbee’s fault. In fact, in the Phoscon app it says:

Vendor dresden elektronik
Product ConBee
Version 2.05.64 / 4/22/2019
Firmware Not connected
The version is up to date.

So, it seems to have a firmware version installed that doesn’t exist yet (?), but at the same time is not connected, and also, it fails when I click on ‘Reset gateway’ (the reset request returns a 503 service not available).
Now I’m wondering… Did I just receive a faulty conbee II stick and should get it replaced? Or does the Phoscon app only support conbee I? Or did I miss anything in the setup, to connect the firmware? whatever that may mean.

Thankful for any directions

Hmm, what kind of hardware are you using? I also had the “not connected” message in the beginnning… I had to use another USB port

Certainly looks like Conbee isn’t being detected by Phoscon. Here’s a screenshot of my Conbee I

The Version is the software version, and the date on the end is in American format, so 22nd April.

Firmware is read from the Conbee itself, which suggests a connection issue.

Can you provide details of the hardware platform you’re using and how you installed the deconz software.

It’s located on /dev/TtyACM0 instead

I’m running hass.io on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+.
I had
{ "device": "/dev/ttyUSB0" }
as the configuration of the Deconz add-on in hassio.
The Deconz was ‘imported’ successfully into hassio, including the virtual sensor.daylight… But maybe that was just the link between Phoscon and hassio, not including the Conbee.

Will try TtyACM0 as soon as I get home. Thought that was used only for the Zigbee Hat.

They changed address for conbee2

They sure did!
Works like a charm now.
Thanks to you all - maybe this should be mentioned somewhere, but yeah I guess I could have tried out all of the options before blaming the hardware :slight_smile:

1 Like