IKEA Tradfri switch smooth dimming on hold down

Hi folks

I have a Tradfri Switch (Square one with 1/0 buttons) and a Tradfri bulb. I currently have it configured that short presses turn the bulb ON and OFF, and long presses increase/decrease the brightness. This all works, but I don’t like how each long press just increases/decreases the brightness one step. I need to make continual long presses in order to significantly change the brightness.

I’d like to configure the automation instead such that when I long press the light continually increases or decreases in brightness until either I release the button or the max.min is reached. I don’t know how to go about doing this. I’ve read a little bit about script automations, but I’m not sure what the approach would be. If I were to code this I would start an interval timer on long press that increased/decreased the brightness by X % every Y ms. Releasing the button or reaching the limit stops the interval timer. Simple stuff in concept, but I don’t know how to do it in yaml.

Any good guides on how to make script automations like this?

Thanks!

• Jeff

Have a look at the Blueprints section on this forum. Should be one for that device in there.

@sparkydave You are a star! There are indeed a few in there. worked like a charm!

Thanks dude!

No worries mate :+1:

Hi Jclarke,

Found your post here when searching about the same issue. Looks like you found a blueprint that solves the issue of these long presses without smooth dimming. I tried several, but keep having this issue. The bleuprints that I used are included below. Can you tell me which blueprint does the job well for you? Maybe it’s a configuration fault on my side and the following are working well for you.

Thanks!! John

I tried those;

1 Like

Hi @JohnK, have a look at this: Tip: finetune a light dimmer/media player volume with a remote

This is the one I used:

1 Like

@jclarke0000 @Nick4 Thanks for the response and confirming that it’s the correct flow. I experimented a little more and figured something out.

• The problem existed when I was using a group entity for the lights. (trying to dim 8 pieces of gu10 bulbs in that group - by dimming the group-entity)
  • I tried it with dimming individual bulbs. With one Tradfri GU10 bulbs it’s working fine!
  • With a few bulbs it’s still working fine, until I added about 5 of them, then the same problem began.

So unfortunately no solution yet… but maybe this additional information gives someone an idea about what’s the issue? I cannot image that nobody else is having the case to dim about 8 bulbs at the same time with this automation. Thanks!

Btw; maybe good to summarize clear problem; Not dimming completely by holding the button for long time. Need to release several times, and still then it’s not dimming at all on some “ranges of the dimming scale”.

1 Like

Hi, I have the same requirement for smooth dimming behavior, but I’m using Z2M - Is there any blueprint for this?
I found a blueprint for standard behavior, which I can set up also manually, but I’m looking for continous set brightness up/down when holding the buttons…

Hi,
I also use Zigbee2MQTT and looking for smooth dimming on my Tradfri remotes. Did you find a solution?
Cheers

Did you find any solutions for this for us Zigbee2MQTT users, @DLHN and/or @Godmag?

Unfortunately not :frowning:

I found a solution that works well for me – but it‘s not using HA automations.
Instead I installed the AppDaemon add-on and then the ControllerX „app“.
Everything is explained very good here: ControllerX
Then, via the File Editor add on I edited the /config/appdaemon/apps/apps.yaml file and added this for my E1743 IKEA Trådfri button:

IKEA_Dimmer_Stefan:
  module: controllerx
  class: E1743Z2MLightController
  integration: z2m
  controller: sensor.ikea_dimmer_button_stefan_action
  light: IKEA Tradfri am Bett rechts

But you find many examples on the ControllerX Examples page here: Examples - ControllerX

Hope this helps. Check this, too: ControllerX. Bring full functionality to light and media player controllers

1 Like