Ikea Tradfri: Transition and Moods

I was wondering if there has been any interest in integrating the moods from Ikea’s gateway into Home Assistant, possibly as scenes?

The reason I ask is because the behavior of the bulbs when controlled by Ikea’s app or remote is significantly different from how the bulbs behave when controlled through Home Assistant.

Home Assistant cannot change color temperature on groups of Tradfri bulbs, whether they are grouped within HASS or the group was imported from the gateway. In order to set a scene where the bulbs change brightness and color temp you must address each bulb separately. This has two big drawbacks, first is the lag from addressing each bulb separately, the second is that Tradfri bulbs do not support the transition function in HASS. If you tell a Tradfri bulb “I want these settings,” it sets the bulb to those settings instantly. This goes for on and off as well as brightness and color temp.

The way the Tradfri app circumvents this is with moods. Moods in the Tradfri app are essentially scenes that are saved in the gateway. Calling moods instead of designing scenes on HASS allows the lights to transition smoothly and in unison. Any Tradfri app that gets paired with the gateway loads the moods that are saved on it and can use them. The benefit of this is that moods can be activated via coap and the gateway just like the other settings.

I noticed that pytradfri has the ability to take inventory of these moods and activate them upon request. I was hoping that just as HASS currently has the ability to import groups from the Tradfri gateway, we could add the functionality to import moods from the gateway as scenes. Just as the group import can be disabled for users who desire it, the mood import could be disabled in configuration.

I’m interested in how you have your bulbs set up? Mine are:

• registered directly to ikea gateway without any dimmer or switch from Ikea
  • configured in a view and grouped (Master BR, Bedside Lamps)

When I turn them on via the group, there is a very very quick transition
When I turn then off via the group, there is a nice gradual transition
I can set the brightness via HASS App and Alexa integration - “Turn on bedside lamps” “Set bedside lamp to 100”
I can only adjust warmth via the app

Also of these apply for both individual bulbs as well as my grouped bulbs.

My issue is that for my basic automation, I cannot a nice transition from off to 20% brightness for a “daytime” lamp.

Is this what you are seeing? Or are you experiencing something different?

Well hello Pete. I believe we just had an exchange about your setup on reddit.

I have my bulbs (4) paired with an Ikea remote and then with the hub. But the issue isn’t caused by any particular setup. It’s a limitation of the way Ikea’s software works. Calling a specific setting on a bulb or group through coap, like brightness or color temp, causes the bulb to change without any transition.

The only time a Tradfri bulb will transition in normal operation is and ON/OFF command called with any device, or requesting a “mood” on the Ikea app or through coap.

yeah, i’m pretty happy with how they work, but allowing for some smoothing would be awesome. I see what you mean with the snap change instead of the gradual you get when you turn them on/off from HASS

I can’t help with transitions, but HASS can adjust my IKEA light colour temperature in a group. It’s a HASS group though, not the premade one.

But the problem is that it’s addressing each bulb separately and there is a lag from bulb to bulb as a consequence of that. You also give up any smooth transition when you address the bulbs that way.

Hi,

My first post to the forum! :slight_smile:

I could not agree more with roofuskit. The current implementation of Tradfri is incomplete when it comes to smooth operation of lamp groups and especially lacks the functionality to change the color temp for a group of bulbs.

I have 8 GU10 bulbs in a single physical lamp frame. With the current implementation I cannot change the color temp via the IKEA bridge defined lamp group at all using Home Assistant.

Would be really nice to have this functionality implemented. There must be others waiting as well.

Please consider this.

BR,
Mikko

2 Likes

Hey there,
I recently started with Home Assistant and added some Tradfri Bulbs to my home. I would very much appreciate it if someone could add moods to the Tradfri component of HA. :grinning:

Howdy

The GU10’s I have don’t support color temp…indeed I don’t think any do!

Hass can change the color of a group (I do so regularly) so long as the bulbs support that feature…

Hi,

GU10s do indeed have color temp. At least here in Finland all Trådfri GU10s do (you can’t have them without). You can adjust the temp for individual bulbs via Home Assistant, but not for groups configured in the IKEA app visible in Home Assistant.

The implementation is incomplete, as said before.

BR,
Mikko

1 Like

All the GU10’s in Scotland don’t support Color temp :confused:

2 stores so far…

Then again IKEA hasn’t fully released the current batch (according to in store colleagues)

That’s fair enough - if you make a group in HASS - you can control Color temp of a group that way

Just found out that transition don’t work :frowning: I have spent an hour or two tinkering with an automation that will gradually turn on my bedside lamp 5 minutes before my alarm goes off. Too bad it’s not gonna work. Hopefully the support will come in the future!

There is no nice transition between the mooood lightning but it works :smiley:
script.yaml

'focus':
   alias: Focus
   sequence:
   - data:
       brightness: '254'
       color_temp: '249'
       entity_id: light.livingroom
     service: light.turn_on
 'everyday':
   alias: Everyday
   sequence:
   - data:
       brightness: '203'
       color_temp: '370'
 'relax':
   alias: Relax
   sequence:
   - data:
       brightness: '25'
       color_temp: '458'

or

focus:
  alias: Focus
  sequence:
  - data:
      brightness: '254'
      rgb_color:
      - '245'
      - '250'
      - '246'
everyday:
  alias: Everyday
  sequence:
  - data:
      brightness: '203'
      rgb_color:
      - '241'
      - '224'
      - '181'
relax:
  alias: Relax
  sequence:
  - data:
      brightness: '25'
      rgb_color:

worst markdown editor ever

I just wanted to throw this out there, but with 0.55 it looks like transition works on the Tradfri Bulbs. I was just playing with my Office light and got it to go from 100% to 0% brightness over 10 seconds.

Edit - Transitions are working but you have to multiply the transition by 10 (e.g. if you want a 1 minute transition then it would be transition: 600)

1 Like

do you set this up in various scripts, if you do mind sharing some of them :smiley:

you can look at the package I am working on for my alarm clock. Should work OK. https://github.com/mconway/homeassistant-config/blob/master/packages/alarm_clock.yaml

So, from what I saw on this topic, is it true that now, the transitions are working with IKEA Trådfri?
I’m trying to decide on buying IKEA Trådfri or Philips Hue, and this feature it’s important to me.

Transitions are working fine now with correct transition time in seconds.But there is one thing that annoys me with the ikea bulbs.
You cant transition them down to 0 %. They dim down to 10 % and then switch off.
This is propably a hardware problem of the ikea bulbs. They simply have no dimming setting in that area because you cant reach further dimming with the ikea remote, too.
If they use PWM dimming in their hardware this should be solveable with an update in the future if ikea will take notice of the problem.
My solution:
I have a decoration light with a 400 lm bulb. This has the same dimming problem but the lowest level of dimming is dark enough for me. The ceiling lamp is a 1000 lm one that switches on when the 400 lm one reaches its brightest state and vice versa.

Has there been any progress in setting color temp on light groups? I’m trying to script a set of bulbs in one light fixture and the only way I’ve managed to change the color temp of the bulbs is to address them one by one.

Also, transitions only seem to work on brightness and not color temp.

+1

Is there any update about color temperature and tradfri groups?

1 Like