IKEA Vindriktning Air Quality Sensor

7 Likes

You got the same idea as me about the pir. I was thinking to add motion sensor, but decided not to because where the device will sit has a motion sensor already. I wanted to add a photosensitive sensor, but the esp only has one A0 pin available. It’s reserved for the MQ-9 (on its way).

I would like to announce an

IKEA HA contest!

Who manages to squeeze the most sensors into this box WINs meet balls lunch.

4 Likes

@fabiosoft i did the extend mod but the Orange led is not bright. PWM is working tough.

do u have an idea what it could be?

do i need to cut the line thats going trough the R of R14?

So, this is the Zigbee enabled table like air purifier.

I was thinking about this model.

PS: already hacked on this forum :wink:

@Vendo232 ow is motion detection?
Some noise interference due to wi-fi or PM sensor?

Hi. I just finished my setup. All parts and settings are same, but my carbon monoxide readings are different than yours. Would you know why?
2021-12-13_20-23-36

substitutions:
  name: ikea-pm25
  platform: ESP8266
  board: d1_mini

esphome:
  name: $name
  platform: $platform
  board: $board

wifi:
  ssid: !secret ssid_1
  password: !secret ssid_pass
  fast_connect : true
  power_save_mode: none
  manual_ip:
    static_ip: 192.168.1.97
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.1.1

captive_portal:

logger:

api:
  password: !secret ota_pass
ota:
  password: !secret ota_pass

uart:
  - id: uart_1
    rx_pin: D2
    baud_rate: 9600

- id: uart_2
    rx_pin: D3
    tx_pin: D4
    baud_rate: 9600

# Sensors
sensor:
  - platform: pm1006
    pm_2_5:
      name: $name
    uart_id: uart_1

- platform: mhz19
    co2:
      name: "Carbon Dioxide"
    temperature:
      name: "$name Temperature"
    update_interval: 120s
    automatic_baseline_calibration: false
    uart_id: uart_2

- platform: adc
    pin: A0
    name: "Carbon Monoxide"
    update_interval: 60s
    filters:
        - lambda: return (x * 1024/5); 
    unit_of_measurement: "ppm"
    icon: 'mdi:fire'

- platform: wifi_signal
    name: $name wifi signal
    ```
1 Like

no interference

1 Like

doest the bme680 have a temp sensor for its own offset but suffers from the fact that the gas sensor has to heat up to be able to measure so you its important to use another temp sensor value for the offset

but youre comparing a 30+euro sensor with a 2euro sensor so not really surprising.

look at these comparisons for cheap vs not-cheap

have a look at this video from the guy witha swiss accent

Yes, I know. I think the sensor is fine and works in a meaningful way when you look at the LED colors. They correlate pretty well to low/intermediate/high particle levels. However I just thought that those ug/m3 values were too inaccurate. I wouldn’t use a temperature sensor either if it said it was 120 degrees Celsius indoor when an appropriate sensor says it is 25 degrees. Re building the sensor was fun though.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here, but I use the bme680_bsec library in ESPHome. This library features a Temp offset option, which I have set tot 1. Since this setup is not meant to be enormous scientific, I’m fine if it’s not all that accurate. besides, as soon as you have more than one tempsensor in your house, your never gonna be sure which one is correct and which one is off anyway :wink:

1 Like

Hello @ledhed ,

I think the cards look neat. Question, is it possible to do something similar, without the custom cards? I am looking for something basic, like definying a template sensor in esphome which output is showing a red, yellow or green status icon in a lovelace card, based on the same calculations of the PM2.5 value. Basically emulating the three colors in HA just like as currently is on the device (without actually doing @fabiosoft 's complete PCB mod).

do you mean without touch or open the device and its original pcb?

I have already added a Wemos D1 with esphome, and I can get the PM2.5 readings. I just didn’t wire the LED pcb panel to the D1. Basically I only did the “basic” mod, not the “pro” one :).

The aim is to check the readings of the sensor from HA (which is working) and to just define a text sensor that converts these values and displays good/green, yellow/so-so, red/bad.

ok! so you made the most of the part… i think you can easily using some custom card.

I found a couple of examples:

easy gauge card:

or more customizable mod…

That looks good, and it is already part of HA. I’ll check it out, thank you!

Yesterday I was configuring the MQ-9 sensor using a candle. The sensor is enclosed with the Ikea pm25 senor during the test. It jumped to the max of 1,000. A few hours later it jumped down to about 400. A few more hours it jumped to 0 and now at 6. The sensor has never went to 0 since purchase. It always floats around 60 - 200. Hope I didn’t ruined it.

let it “cool down” end see what happens…

PS: is this grafana?