Ikea Zigbee Signal Repeater

I think you should be able to… there are some details here:
http://ptvo.info/cc2531-based-router-firmware-136/

That’s the thing I think you have to have a CC2530 as the original coordinator. I am not sure it will work with the HUSBZB-1

One of these days I will get around to putting it together lol

I have several CC devices as routers with the HUSBZB1 as the coordinator. Works great.

So I might finally try and get around to putting my CC2531 together. How do I go about adding it to my Home Assistant as a repeater for my HUSBZB-1?

Is it simply a case of adding a new zigbee device through the ZHA panel?

I would assume it is, yes.

Guys,

I can share my experience if you like… after reading this and many other threads here and in other forums (because I then got afraid it wouldn’t be as easy), I thought it would be best to not mix up brands. I use ZHA integration with a ConbeeII connected to the Raspi running HA directly (no deCONZ plug-in or matt2bla) and Aqara only devices up to now, door and motion sensors and buttons, all battery driven, so not repeating. Thus, I’ve chosen the Xiaomi/Aqara plug to have a try. Plugged it after integration, pressed the button one or two times on the door sensor out of range before -bam- it showed up again and never lost connection again since then.

Found also an article here: https://community.aqara.com/posts/10

I don’t see any need for other devices Up to now, so maybe I never have to Test if it works with IKEA or other brands, too.

PS, just to add as I also read doubts about that: the plug repeats anyway if it switched on or off

Br, Jo

1 Like

I am a little confuse. I have the CC2531 usb and the ikea repeater. When I added the repeater to CC2531, any devices that are near the repeater will get it’s from it. I have bought another ikea motion sensor. What is the correct way of adding to the network if this motion sensor will rely on the repeater for signal? Do I pair it with the repeater or the coordinator?

I have paired it to the coordinator and now the network map is showing it is getting the connection from the coordinator which is too far.

Yes, I just paired everything with the CC2531. When I want to then relocate it, I then power it off, move it to its final position and power it on. Then it connects to the repeater.

I then power it off,

Power what off? I have tried a restart of HA and unplugged the repeater. Still the new motion sensor is sticking to the coordinator.

I just removed the batteries from the motion sensor. Waited a few seconds before connecting back in. Still connecting to the coordinator.

Update: I shutdown / start zigbee2mqtt add-on again and this time it worked. New sensor is using repeater for signal.

The Zigbee device; leave HA, and the repeaters as they are.

The client devices I have, seem to choose their router at start up. If I let one of them join the CC2531, and then place it somewhere else where the signal strength is weak, it will not change to the stronger router (repeater).

If I power it off, and then turn it back on where its going to be situated, then it seems to choose the best signal strength router and connect to that.

Most Zigbee devices switch automatically to the best router when their current router is not reachable anymore. Actually I think this is the correct implementation of Zigbee protocol.

But some devices, for intances the well known Xiaomi Aqara devices, do not follow this rule.

That’s why I don’t buy anymore Aqara devices and I’m currently tryings many other options from many brands (Philips, IKEA, Konke, Samsung, Sonoff, Terncy, BlitzWolf).

1 Like

Arg. So I thought I fix it. The new motion is choosing the repeater. However, one of my ikea remote was using the repeater now uses the coordinator which is out of range. Problem started when I added this motion sensor. I have total of 10 zigbee devices using the CC2531.

I linked the repeater using Zigbee2mqtt, now I’m not sure how to link my other zigbeeDevice how does it works? can someone help me? I want to link a “window sensor” to the repeater but I don’t know how
I got to this screen but no idea, any help? Thanks
The device in this screen is the “window sensor” the “Destination” is the Repeater, Not sure which destination EP should I choose, no matter what I choose I can’t see linked in the map

Binding with a repeater ? Binding does not work that way. Binding is for e.g. a dimmer you want to connect directly to a light, so it works too when your coordinator is down. You can’t bind to a repeater, zigbee creates it’s own mesh.

1 Like

Oh, didn’t know that, so basically adding the signal extender that’s all that I need?

Yes. The window sensor will find the repeater and eventually use it.

Thank you so much, I feel so dumb :hear_no_evil:
Thanks for the clarification

Is this a normal view (I just plugged in the repeaters and joined them via zigbee2mqtt) where the repeaters “float by themselves”:

Update: meanwhile, as I needed some when none was available from Xiaomi, I bought some from another brand, Osram. I thought they look like the same device just being a re-brand and obviously they are, as they work the same smooth. Lets see, if others do the same - I´ll give an update here when I have some…
Meanwhile, my ZigBee mesh is quite big:

@magicdude4eva I can’t even pair 1 ikea repeater with my zigbee CCxxxx stick and zigbee2mqtt. Tried so many times…

How did you do it and what is your setup?