I'm a BroadLink dummy. Help me!

I have a BroadLink RM Pro+. In the BroadLink app, I have one device added: a projector. The app works 100%.

I added the broadlink integration to my config yaml:

remote:
  - platform: broadlink
    host: 192.wha.t.ever
    mac: 78:wh:at:ev:er
    type: rm2_pro_plus

Question #1: It shows in HA with nothing more an an on/off switch. What does that switch do?

Question #2: How do I get it to control my projector? The below script results in this error:

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.broadlink.remote] Failed to send ‘power/anker nebula projector’: Command not found

sequence:
    - service: remote.send_command
      data:
        entity_id: remote.broadlink
        device: anker nebula projector
        command: power

Question #3: If I create a scene in the BroadLink app, can I execute that through HA rather than trying to script out every up, down, select, etc. command?

Thoughts?

The Broadlink app configuration is independent to the HA integration, so devices learned in the app are of no use in HA AFAIK.

I setup two Broadlink RM mini 3s recently to control two ceiling fans, and did the following:

• Configured them to connect to my network using Broadlink Manager
  • Assigned reserved IPs from my router.
  • Firewalled the IPs from the internet (except for NTP traffic).
  • Added both remotes in HA:
remote:
    host: 192.168.1.238
    mac: 24:df:a7:d6:12:f2
    type: rm_mini3_newblackbean
    name: "Living Room"
    host: 192.168.1.239
    mac: 24:df:a7:d6:11:4d
    type: rm_mini3_newblackbean
    name: "Bedroom"
  • used the remote.learn_command service in Developer Tools > Service for each remote to learn the commands from the fan remote (these commands are saved as a file named broadlink_remote__codes under config/.storage folder.
  • wrote scripts to send named commands eg:
# reverse the current direction of the fan.
living_room_fan_reverse:
  alias: "Living room fan reverse"
  mode: single
  sequence:
    - service: remote.send_command
      data:
        entity_id: remote.living_room
        device: fan
        command: "Reverse"

I’d encourage you to look at the Broadlink Manager thread I linked above - it’s lengthy but covers a wide discussion on how to best integrate. I went with a hybrid approach avoiding use of the app with the Broadlink Manager application but learning the codes through HA and I’m happy with the results.

Thanks @TazUk. This seems kind of tedious. I only have about 10 buttons on my remote, so it shouldn’t be too bad I suppose. I appreciate your help!

Honestly the process takes less time to describe than it took to do. I have about 10 buttons per fan remote (including lights) and rattled through at a rate of knots once I got my head around how I wanted to approach it.
For my purposes I didn’t want a Broadlink account or the remotes to have internet access - primarily to prevent a firmware update causing issues but also for security purposes. I’ve seen comments that suggest the newer Broadlink remote devices have significant issues with integration into HA once they have been linked to Broadlink’s cloud, and one of the major pluses of HA (mostly for my wife, but also for me) is that we don’t wind up with multiple apps that can / should be used to control our home devices.

I’ve got it working now. Thanks for your help!

1 Like