I'm unhappy with the removal of GPIO

It’s not about blaming. It’s about the fact that communication is the root cause of most issues where people are involved.The rest are just consequences.

But I have to admit I wasn’t aware about this until let’s say 5 years ago (I’m 47). So not surprising to me that a lot of people don’t take it even under consideration

2 Likes

Really?

Says the guy blaming the (poor) communication
:man_facepalming:

I think it’s time to stop now.

1 Like

still young then

I indeed see a lot of posts blaming communication.
My opinion, and the one of of others, is that communication was ample and adequate.

If your local authority decides to raise taxes, any amount of communication sugarcoating won’t prevent people to be pissed about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

My opinion, and the one of of others, is that communication was ample and adequate.

Adequate is good word to say “we decided to chose this exact form of communication and we are aware of potential impact of such decision”. But then why there is so much surprised and even hostile reactions (against users)?

Speaking about your example (not 100% adequate because of complexity but whatever):
You can leave them pissed off or do something with that. You can surprise them with the decision or mitigate incoming change with them together. You can prepare the same message/reasoning in several forms to match expectation of particular target groups.
You can make really a lot in order to moderate the impact. The more you do the better. This is what we are trying to say over here. EricDecibel described it even better in his posts above.

Of course everyone is entitled to ignore this message which likely result in no future changes in this regard. Or, if you think you know better solution, please start applying it. Or if you think current state is satisfying - do nothing (but be not surprised by users reactions)

2 Likes

Define “surprised”. At some point, someone is made aware of something, which might come as a “surprise” whatever the way to communicate is used.
In this case, people are made aware that something will happen in 4 months. That will not be a surprise anymore when the event (removal of GPIO integrations) will actually happen, so the goal is reached.

Whether users had a say or not in the decision is another topic not related to communication.

Those are a lot of nice words for “sugarcoating”, but at the end of the day, their taxes will increase, and they will be pissed.

1 Like

Part of community is surprised every-time when particular group of users (usually impacted by some changes) reacts with dissatisfaction (shortly speaking). Mentioned part of community is sure that provided information in change log is enough, while obviously it doesn’t work (hence dissatisfaction).

You are missing the point of what we wrote in this thread.
It’s not about lack of information that something is going to change. Nobody claims it;s missing.
It is about the form of this information or rather form of communication (a.k.a. dialog) with the specific part of audience which is impacted with the planned changes.

1 Like

Ah, there might be a semantic misunderstanding here.
Communication is not (necessarily) dialog. Most of us understood communication in this context as “to communicate a piece of information to the users”.

If you’re looking into dialog, i.e. to have say in the orientation of HA, I think most now know that those discussions happens at home-assistant/architecture · Discussions · GitHub.
That the technology (i.e. github) does not fit some is really a moot point.

I live in Belgium and we have 4 languages. Dutch, French, German and English. :joy:
German is the first language when it came to literature about everything related to Electricity during my student era. ( engines, control systems, etc )
I’m well aware that English is spoken in more then the mentioned countries in my post, still that doesn’t mean that the project shouldn’t take the fact into their consideration that only “Technical English language” is sufficient.

And the posts under my second reply only confirm my statements.

I for one won’t base any critical systems in my home on wireless communication based systems.
I understand why many people don’t have any other choice since wiring everything is way more difficult.

Tom did an amazing thing and took ownership of GPIO and included it in HACS. I applaud him for that action.
The HA team could have mentioned that option into their communication or even take preventive action to find someone to do so that it could have stayed in HA.

Wireless isn’t the ONLY way forward. It’s the wrong mindset. For certain in countries with dense populations and since wireless communications are easily jammed or hacked. ( A great example are modern cars )

But hey, I’m old fashioned.
The counter arguments of certain individuals with the percentage of users that use GPIO was a STUPID reply. It was saying we don’t need you little group of users, you’re not important to us.
That is bad communication and a lack of understanding/empathy. It’s removing free choice and to say it harsh bullish.

4 Likes

Github is not the place where users of a software product hang around. It’s dev homeland.

Welcome to reality.
HA does need to communicate to their users in a modern fashion.
How? that’s up to the project to decide. Github is suited for development communication, not communication with users.

All the good work is undone due to the lack of professionalism in user communication/interaction.

edit ( grammar )

3 Likes

Not sure about you, but I personally don’t “hang around”, waiting for information to be magically infused in me.
I get a link to somewhere, I register as in 99.99% of anything in internet if you want to be active, then I read and discuss.

Genuinely interested of what your definition of modern is for you, in this context?

Well I did register to github to check what Tom was doing with GPIO and later on here to interact on the subject because in my personal opinion it was handled in a bad way.

HA could provide in this environment their future plan and for example list the integrations marked for review and removal.
This is the primary internet location where users interact with the project.
Use github to technical related discussions and provide here a platform for polls and other subjects directly with users.
It is called the home-assistant community after all.

Provide an indicator in Home Assistant, as is done with updates, when news about certain subjects is available so users are aware and can come to voice their opinion/needs.

The single point of contact between users and the project is the local installation of Home Assistant. That’s where indicators about important news should be provided. Not on github.

3 Likes

Yeah, the return of polls.

“Should we raise the taxes?” :joy:

No it’s not. There’s 5 platforms and this is not the largest. Reddit is by a landslide. The blogs are posted on the website and that’s the primary source of information and they are simultaneously cross posted here in all the social media platforms: discord, forums, Facebook, twitter, and Reddit. This is a common miss conception. That’s yet another reason why discussions take place on GitHub. Sorry, it’s never going to move here. Using your own words:

1 Like

It’s a fact. Wishful thinking is that Home Assistant’s terminology will be changed to suit those who are not “tech-minded” (look back at the original comment instead of taking my response out of context).

That’s your opinion. The core team, notably the founder, can make any decision. Four months notice is hardly insufficient.

I am fairly consistent when it comes to correcting errors. As you are consistent, based on your posting history, in complaining about most everything concerning this project.

5 Likes

Nobody is talking about changing HA terminology

Nobody is commenting on four months notice.

You’re fairly consistent in misunderstanding the subjects we are discussing here.

3 Likes

Seems you are out of valid arguments so you are starting to go personal.

Yes. I’m entitled to have my own opinion and comment on things which I find sub-optimal.
Smart people don’t get it personally, but as valuable input of a user instead (regardless they agree and plan to change something or not)

4 Likes

Mmm… YOU started to go personal.

If a post is arguing for argument’s sake it typically has your username attached to it. I don’t think a community needs a Chief Negativist but here we are. Undoubtedly you will present yet another opposing opinion because your posting history indicates there’s little else one can expect.

4 Likes

No, it wasn’t personal. I’m sorry if it wasn’t clear enough.
It mentioned general tendency found on those forums to write “you are oblique to read release notes” or “HA is not for you if you cannot understand our technical language” etc. While at the same time the general strategy is to lean towards less experienced people.
Fortunately at least “this is a beta version” is not being exploited similar way anymore.

1 Like