I'm unhappy with the removal of GPIO

Or you can potentially stick with a single pi and use ubuntu+docker. I have raspberry pi 4 running HA in docker and other services alongside (mysql, mqtt, asterisk, samba shares, apache) with no performance issues.

1 Like

The commercial alternative is building a house of cards on proprietary standards and closed systems held together by a p/e ratio that can crumble any time without forewarning with the flick of a switch from its creators whenever the bottom line on a balance sheet doesn’t meet some arbitrary target you have no control over.

At least with open source you can fix it yourself - or learn how to do so. Basing everything on open industry standards like MQTT is a solid foundation for that.

5 Likes

Who is “they”? Trace back the source. The original authors in relation to rpi gpio were @sfam and @rmkraus

I don’t think either have contributed to HA for a long time.

So who are these people that have dropped support for integrations they put there in the first place?

2 Likes

Which is why I said:

Why is there a need to remove rpi_gpio, if it works. Fine don’t support it, but don’t remove it. Just like some guys here my entire alarm system uses it. You guys promote usage of raspberry pi, and now we will have to buy / tinker with additional stuff to make it work again.

It’s like if I have a smart TV that has HDMI ports on the back that I’ve been using for years and now they are being discontinued and I have to figure out what dongles to buy just to keep using my plugged-in devices again. Streamlining means making things easier to use, this is the opposite of that

I get it you don’t want to deal with it and maintain it, can you at least migrate them to HACS or something and make them custom integrations? That way 1100+ people (since not everyone shares analytics) are not left hanging in 4 months?

5 Likes

A developer has already announced that he will move the integration to HACS so you will be able to use it there. An alternative is to use mqtt-io.

7 Likes

Yes, but it’s still more than 1100 people. Is it easy for you to talk about this, because you are not among these happy users?

I made a custom PCB HAT for cooling Raspberry Pi. How will I control it if I use Home Assistant OS?

1 Like

They removed a lot of from hass binary and made hass unusable for normal users :frowning:
--pid-file
--daemon
They want to piss of users which are not using paid docker

1 Like

That is good news. Maybe next time you should askaround first… it looks like you don’t quite understand the fundamental difference of mqtt-io and other “ways” compared to hardwired gpio.
For us noncoding hardware guys rpi gpio was god sent, the main reason I swiched to HA.
It is not about will or want, it is the difference between can do and can’t.

Anyways, this move took away the trust. I still think this is the opposite of what you wrote about Open Home.

5 Likes

This way:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/2022-2-lets-start-streamlining/387648/128?u=tom_l

Part of an open home is a secure home as well, and a lack of a maintainer to ensure that modules keep up-to-date with potentially-breaking changes means either a chance for bugs or a chance for security problems.

MQTT-IO appears to be relatively straightforward, like yaml config, from a perusing of it, including support for a large number of sensors that were natively supported, if not all and then some. Whilst it appears that if you’re using HA OS there is not presently an add-on module, it seems like it would be trivial for those maintainers to add it.

And has been said, someone else is taking up the torch for the existing module under the community add-on store, which seems ideal to keep using.

3 Likes

WTF is payd docker?

3 Likes

And they have 4 months to do it :slight_smile:

Docker is now paid for “comercial use”.

1 Like

Yes I know, but what TF does “payd” mean (OK I know it was a spelling mistake), and how is home assistant commercial use?

Even if I install it at my office to mind a few things, who is gonna know?

Does someone think @balloob has shares in the company that owns docker?

Use another container runtime engine, if you are doing Home Assistant on a commercial scale.

1 Like

Pray tell us who would have maintained it. If it had broken in the future, what would you have done?

1 Like

No I am not using it for commercial use :slight_smile: In general docker is a useless “level” between hass and OS which is from may point of view give us more cons than pros.

Hass is great product and I like it! Many thanks to all developers but if they are forcing users to have to use docker that is pissing me.

My point of view is opposite to yours. Anyhow, since you are not doing commercial use, the recently changed pricing model for Docker does not affect you.

1 Like

You have 4 months. Maintain it. If you do, you’ll possibly change the dev’s minds.

2 Likes