Improve documentation of components

Hey,

I find the documentation of components severely lacking in many places, especially on what options you have when setting them up. Attributes are sometimes but not always stated and the example yaml config does not always contain how you set up every attribute.

Yes, yes - I know there are example files out there but one should not need to google around for this (IMHO).

Many in the community are clever people who can figure out stuff on their own. But there are also many of us who need a helping hand. I see the same questions pop up over and over and over again and I don’t see why this need to be the case if the docs were better.

Thoughts?

You can edit or update those documents that you feel are lacking by clicking the “Edit this page on GitHub” link in the upper right hand corner.

As an open source project, we rely on user contributions to help improve. If you see places where people are asking the same questions over and over, this would be a good place to start.

Here’s a great tutorial to get you started on your journey:

2 Likes

Problem is that I am one of those who needs a helping hand. I think there should be a requirement to write better docs before a new component is available.

What about home assistant starts crowd funding? I’m sure every user spends a few bucks for this great software.

Define “better”. Can you give some specific examples?