Inovelli Z-Wave Red Series Notification LED

Hello, I just recently found this script and I’m playing with it on my LZW36 fan/light switch. I have been able to make the LED strip for the light button work with the script but the fan button doesn’t seem to respond to commands. Is there something special I need to do to get the fan LED strip to use the effects?

These are the entities exposed

and my automation YAML is simply

service: script.1655124714448
data:
  entity_id:
    - light.red_series_fan_light_switch
    - fan.red_series_fan_light_switch_2
  color: Green
  level: 10
  effect: Chase
  duration: 5 Seconds

and this way the light LED strip responds, the fan does not. I’ve tried all 3 entities in my YAML as well but it’s the same so I’m thinking there’s something I’m missing.

Thank you!

You have to make it a separate call and add: model_type: combo_fan to the data.

EDIT: depends on which version of the script you’re using as well. It looks like the script misses checking for the fan domain as well.

EDIT 2: Something like this may help:

model_type: |
                {%- if model_name is string %}
                  {%- if "LZW31" in model_name %}
                    dimmer
                  {%- elif "LZW36" in model_name %}
                    {%- set domain = repeat.item.split(".")[0] %}
                    {%- if domain == "fan" %}
                      combo_fan
                    {%- else %}
                      combo_light
                    {%- endif %}
                  {%- else %}
                    switch
                  {%- endif %}
                {%- else %}
                  dimmer
                {%- endif %}

Hi yes, so the version of the script I’m running already has this in it

I’m running the version of the script linked here Inovelli Z-Wave Red Series Notification LED - #175 by BrianHanifin

#1 Don’t post images of text.

#2 The code you’ve posted does not contain the modification I’ve posted. Using what I have posted will change the fan LED on the LZW36. (I’ve tested it locally)

1. Sorry for posting images of text. I can see how that would be upsetting.
  2. I do see the difference in your code vs what’s existing. I’ll update what’s in the script with that. Thank you kindly.

It’s not upsetting more of a courtesy for those who may be color blind or have vision problems.

Enjoy!

Your modification works fantastically. Thank you again!

1 Like

I’m having issues getting the blueprint to work (and I’m a noob, so I don’t know how to just install the script either). I’m getting the following in my log:

Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection
Source: components/blueprint/importer.py:160
Integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 7:34:30 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 7:34:30 PM

[140257971047968] Error handling message: Unknown error (unknown_error)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/decorators.py", line 27, in _handle_async_response
    await func(hass, connection, msg)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/blueprint/websocket_api.py", line 68, in ws_import_blueprint
    imported_blueprint = await importer.fetch_blueprint_from_url(hass, msg["url"])
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/blueprint/importer.py", line 225, in fetch_blueprint_from_url
    imported_bp = await func(hass, url)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/blueprint/importer.py", line 160, in fetch_blueprint_from_github_url
    resp = await session.get(import_url, raise_for_status=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/aiohttp/client.py", line 640, in _request
    resp.raise_for_status()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/aiohttp/client_reqrep.py", line 1004, in raise_for_status
    raise ClientResponseError(
aiohttp.client_exceptions.ClientResponseError: 404, message='Not Found', url=URL('https://raw.githubusercontent.com/brianhanifin/Home-Assistant-Config/master/blueprints/script/brianhanifin/inovelli_led.yaml')

anyone have any idea what I’m doing wrong?

@BrianHanifin I’ve been using a similar inovelli_led.yaml from this Inovelli LED for Garage & Door Lock Blueprint for some time, but recently have run into issues that I’ve been unable to solve myself.

I found this thread and tried your script, which appears to solve my issues (as I believe it has to do with the deprecated Z-wave protocols is was evaluating or something along those lines). Anyway, the script works great for this Blueprint, except I am getting this error related to the “for_each” part of the repeat section.

Logger: homeassistant.components.script.inovelli_led
Source: helpers/script.py:409
Integration: Script (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 20:09:18 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 20:09:18

: Repeat ‘for_each’ must be a list of items in , got: light.mudroom

This automation is only dealing with one Inovelli switch, so there’s not a list of entities it’s going to update. I’ve tried adjusting the script to only do the one, but I haven’t figured out how to resolve this error. Do you have any suggestions on how I should modify it so it’s OK with only one entity and not expecting an entire list? I’d really appreciate any pointers you can provide. Thanks for posting this.

I forked the blueprint for the automation domain and updated it.

That version can be found HERE.

Like the blueprint for the script domain, it only supports ZWave-JS.

What does changing the domain do differently for this blueprint?

It will create new instances of an automation, instead of a new instance of a script.

Just want to document that for the new 2-1 dimmer/switch (800 series) the parameter is different(99) and the math variables order is also different. More details here.

I’ve updated my automation with a variable that covers the different byte order for the VZW31, and a conditional that uses one set of math or the other based on model identifier.

The VZW31 also supports a larger set of effects which are not implemented, and won’t be since I have the prior generation Red series dimmers and switches.

1 Like

Thanks to @LoremIpsum and @BrianHanifin for all their efforts on this, I have gone ahead and forked @LoremIpsum’s latest changes and expanded on the VZW31 list of available effects, and added some additional time and color options.

In the process I likely broke the ability of anything else using the switch model type, unfortunately I don’t have any of the older switches to test with so if anyone is able to help here is my current contribution. I’m very new to Home Assistant and Python so still very much learning, unlike all you very accomplished coders. I do learn pretty fast though so I will keep at it.

As time allows I’ll look to add or homogenize the color choices based off the Z-Wave JS Config DB Entries, and work with everyone to improve further.

I did notice that whenever I tried to set param 99 back to 0 Z-Wave JS would immediately log 99 being set from 0 to 4, which was preventing the notification effect from turning off. After much experimentation I found that setting a bitmask and just turning the effect off worked just fine for the VZW31. I imagine there maybe some adjustments needed if different techniques are needed for different models.

Anyways, here’s my rough fork, thanks again for all the past work on this.

https://github.com/walkeritgtech/home-assistant-config/blob/827e9c798904eebc946ac5d7c6073adb6569f6ee/blueprints/automation/inovelli_led_notify.yaml

1 Like

In case someone landed here looking for alternatives to Z-Wave:

Zigbee2MQTT: [Z2M] Inovelli VZM31-SN Blue Series 2-1 Switch LED Notification Script

ZHA: ZHA - Inovelli VZM31-SN Blue Series 2-1 Switch LED Notification Script

My fork that supports the new Inovelli Red 2-in-1 switch and the Blue series 2-in-1 switch through the Zigbee2MQTT integration. I do not have the old red series dimmer or fan switch, so support for them was dropped. I got rid of the inovelli math in favor of the new bitmasked named parameters in zwave js. [Z2M] Inovelli led notification script for Red onoff, Red 2-in-1, and Blue 2-in-1

That’s going to create a lot more zwave traffic, hope you’re only hitting a single switch with that.

I would like to send you my thanks for this. As a refugee from Hubitat, I had been struggling to get my LED alerts to work again under HA. Perfect implementation for me. Thumbs UP!

Thanks so much, works well.