Install error - Error updating image ghcr.io/.... - dns issue

So, Hi! I’m John from Las Vegas. I bought the HA Green, connected it up. Logging in first time http://192.168.1.227:8123/
I get:
(see attached, if I can, error log, this thing would not accept text from the error log, something to the effect of maximum 2 links from a new user…no text files, had to send a jpg!

I’m about ready to throw this thing in the trash…)
Endless loop of this.
Please Help!
Thank you.
John

The 404 error indicates that it can’t get a file to perform an update. It can’t get to ghcr.io/home-assistant/

Is it connected to the Internet?

Welcome!

I’m not really familiar with the Green setup, but since no-one else has jumped in yet, have you confirmed that the Green has access to the internet? It looks from those errors like it’s trying to download and install HA. Again, just guessing, and giving your post a bump.

The image definitely exists - green-homeassistant versions · home-assistant · GitHub

So if it’s complaining that it can’t find it, then that is a problem with your network. Do you have a router that wants you to indicate what type of device something is before you can use it so that it can “intelligently set the right defaults” by any chance?

Yes, it is connected to the ‘internet’. This very link that you posted here in your reply, “ghcr.io/home-assistant” from ANY COMPUTER OR PHONE THAT I OWN, results in this. (see screenshot)

Sorry about the link - I did not fully qualify the link. The actual link is:

Package green-homeassistant · GitHub.

The issue is not that any computer or phone getting to that link, it’s if the HA Green can get to it.

https://ghcr.io/home-assistant/ is not the correct URL.

Your first screenshot shows the URL to be
https://ghcr.io/home-assistant/green-homeassistant

When I try it, the URL works and is instantly redirected to
https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pkgs/container/green-homeassistant

Try the URL again (the first one ending with green-homeassistant) using your phone or other computer to check if it’s accessible.

Did you just plug it after receiving the HA Green and got that error?
How is connected; Ethernet or Wifi?

From a computer, that link you sent this time resulted in ScreenShot005
TO EVERYONE! Thank you for your replies. This thing is connected ETHERNET.
ScreenShot003 is a picture of my network.
Yes, I received this HA Green and plugged it in. Did nothing else.
Yes, got that error.
Max K Mark says, “The issue is not that any computer or phone getting to that link, it’s if the HA Green can get to it.” That’s my entire problem. HOW DO YOU GET THE HA GREEN to get to it?
Thanks.
John
ATTENTION FORUM MODERATERS! You do not make this easy either. “New User can only post one picture at a time?”
Ok, so I have to make 2 posts to get two pictures.

Let’s get the network information for the HA Green. From the home assistant cli (command prompt):

ha network info

And now I have to wait 4 mintues to post another picture?
Thanks a whole hell of a lot.
This gadget is NOT WORTH THE EFFORT!

For what it’s worth, I had originally tried making a virtual machine running HA. When I got the EXACT SAME ERRORS as I’m posting here, that’s when I figured I messed up making a VM. That’s when I bought the GREEN. Alas, the SAME THING!
VM or Standalone Gadget.

Say what? How do I get to the HA GREEN COMMAND PROMPT?
Of course, I have to wait 4 minutes to EVEN POST THIS!
Come On Moderators! HELP ME OUT!@

If you feel so strongly about it, stop investing more of your time in it and get something else.

You’re new here so you may not know that this is not a Help Desk and is a community forum where volunteers help others at their discretion. No one is obligated to help you and the manner in which you reply determines their willingness to help you.

It’s clear you’re frustrated but please try to keep that in check otherwise it will only alienate people trying to help you.

If it’s the same error then it suggests there may be a common problem. Tell us more about your network and how the VM and Green was/is connected to it. For example, is there a VLAN present? Hard-wired or WiFi? Host machine’s IP address is reserved in DHCP or not?

6 Likes

Mark! Thank you very much. I should have figured that out on my own. Yes, I have an HDMI and USB keyboard. Later today I’ll hook all that up and report back what I find.

To the others who find me frustrated. Yes, I realize this entire thing is Voluntary for Everybody. But having to wait to post something and THEN only one thing at a time is extremely counterproductive. Yes, I realize you are all trying to help. I promise to calm down and accept the limitations of the forum. Please don’t give up on me, and in return I will not give up on the HA Green.

I am going to hook up an HDMI and keyboard to this thing later today (06132024) at the suggestion of MaxK Mark.

To Taras: I have no VLAN. It’s Hard wired. I attached another screenshot of my network. I have DHCP reserved from 201 on up to 250. 139 and 140 reserved for my Cloud Devices. 199 reserved for Printer. HA is (Currently) 227. I really do not know what else to tell you…but don’t give up on me! Yes, you are appreciated.
John

1 Like

Thanks for fixing your keyboard’s CAPS LOCK key. :+1: :wink:

Network-wise it all sounds good so we’ll have to wait until you can login via the console and perform some tests to see how it behaves.

BTW, I can empathize with your frustration; it normally should be fairly frictionless. As for the forum’s hurdles, those are meant to thwart potential spammers and bots.

4 Likes

OK! FIXED! Taras, forgive my CAPS.

Here is what it took to fix. Nothing in any documentation I could find points to this as conceivably being a problem.

From the “ha network info”, nothing in that was any help whatsoever. So, I decided I would read the log file line by line and enter every URL until I found (1 or more) that was stuck. Nope. Not there, either. They all worked in a PC or Phone.
So I got to thinking, what is the difference between this Home Assistant and a PC/Phone. As you remember, when I had HA running on a virtual machine, linux, debian, or anything for that matter, I had the same Glitch. So, what is it…
AHA! As a standalone “Internet of Thing”, or running in a VM, it is completely dependant on a separate DNS setting. My DNS of the ‘Internet of Things’ was 64.250.224.2 And that DNS server does not like github, or something there. I changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the ‘IOT’ stuff, lo and behold, success!
Who gave me 64.250.224.2? My Microwave Relay Internet Provider.
Of course, I will now go back and check all my other IOT stuff, like the Autel EVSE (car charger), the Garage Door Opener, the Goodman HVAC unit, the Sol-Ark Inverter, the Laser Printer, and a few other gadgets.
Yep, the Inverter sent me a text saying it was offline. Had to reboot it (3 minute power failure…) oh well, small price to pay, eh?
I also just tried my VM based HA, it works also.
So, thanks to all of you for trying.
If it were me, I would add to the instructions a list of URL’s that must be alive for Home Assistant to work. In my 72 years of life, I have never had a PC, phone, gadget, software, vacuum cleaner, or anything that Self-Updated through github. I also have sent an email to Las Vegas.net telling them to set up their DNS for github, for those IOT devices that need github.
I had never really though about it. Browsers almost always have their own DNS settings. Which is why you can download something from github and update your IOT. But if an IOT is directly trying to github, your ‘overall’ DNS settings have to jive.

Any final thoughts by the interested parties will be looked at! And yes, I will keep the Green Box, even though I could run HA on my media server, no issue (now)

Thanks again, all.
John

2 Likes

alas, this install issue is not uncommon. see this:

might be worth adding this to community guides.

1 Like

So, lv.net redirects to isp.net and claim:
They are missing the sentence about ‘unless you need a real DNS Server.’

Sorry, Jeffcrum, but that statement you made about a real DNS server is misleading.
https://www.quora.com/Does-the-DNS-server-Im-connected-to-contain-all-the-names-in-the-internet#:~:text=No%2C%20a%20purely%20authoritative%20DNS,not%20authoritatively)%20about%20other%20domains.
A DNS that knows EVERY IP address does NOT EXIST. But they know ‘of a guy’ who ‘knows a guy’
This home assistant is the first and only IOT gadget I have ever seen that needs a Github connection. Yes, I have heard today from other sources that HA has been using Github. But that does that mean that every human knows that HA Must Have Github? So there are guaranteed to exist DNS that can’t resolve the HA IOT. I see that I’m not the only person who had to change their DNS server to get HA to work. Armedad had the same thing, exactly.
I just hope that the powers to be writing documentation for HA will include this information. Also note, GitHub suffers from over 100K infected repositories. This has to affect a DNS decision to include them. I am not by any means a ‘security expert’, but in 1981 I was hired to attempt a hack on Kinney Shoe Stores point of sale systems. They allegedly had the highest security available at the time. I was able to ‘get in’ in 15 minutes. Yes, a lot has changed since then, like a new severe breach reported every week. I see that the HA section at Github does indeed have ‘security’. So did Goodman HVAC systems, but they got hacked anyway. Needless to say, they don’t store anything there anymore.
By the way, I would be interested in knowing if ANY other device out there that is ONLINE is dependent on GitHub. Not one that you download from Github and update ‘offline’ Most everybody’s browser already has DNS settings that allow Github. But I can also guarantee you that NOT EVERYBODY’s DNS settings are setup for an IOT to get to Github. OR: The device is not depending on DNS, but an actual IP address, where DNS is not necessary.
John