Install HA in a new building from the scratch

Hey guys,
I’m new to this community and also to HA (Home Assistant) and Smart Home (SH) at all. I plan to build up a new house in Germany for my family and me in the next year. I would like to determine if HA is the best platform for me to start planning. :slight_smile:

Here are my topics I want to cover with HA.

1. Stand alone system which is able to run without any external server
  2. External connectivity via Smartphone should be available. In the best case via Apples HomeKit. This should be an add on, but doesn’t override point 1.)
  3. I want to mix up wired (LAN / Buses for sockets, Kameras, smoke detectors etc.) and wireless (Zigbee, WiFi, Thread for HomePod, Fridge, Lights etc.) technologies
  4. My access point should support matter for interoperability reasons
  5. I plan a whole SH system and also want to be prepared to add gadgets for example in my garden with a poor wireless connectivity => The system must be resizable via wire, not only wireless
  6. I want to be prepared to add more than one LAN <=> Radio gateway
  7. I would like to use an Raspberry Pi 4 for my SH central device
  8. I like the wired HomeMatic System (RaspberryMatic) and would like to integrate this into my system

There are a lot of topics I have in my mind. Some of these questions are already answered in the documentation, but I’m interested, if also the conglomeration of all topics is feasible.

Cheers!

1. Yes
  2. Many options here:
    1. DIY - domain, SSL, port forwarding
    2. Cloudflare tunnel
    3. Nabu Casa Cloud service
  3. Yes
  4. Matter is very new and support for it is new and evolving everywhere
  5. Well, that’s down to the protocol(s) you pick
  6. Depends on whether you mean multiple (say) Zigbee meshes, Z-Wave meshes, or just a Zigbee mesh, plus a Z-Wave mesh, or what
  7. As long as you’re using an SSD and you buy one with at least 2 GB of RAM (but reallyy, more is better), sure
  8. Yes

TL/DR: Yes you can

Thank you for the fast response!

1. Perfect! :white_check_mark:
  2. Perfect! :white_check_mark:
  3. Perfect! :white_check_mark:
  4. Fit’s for me, the questions was just if HA will be able to support this in the near future?
  5. I think in this context 5) & 6) belong together. I want to be able to have let’s say 2 different Zigbee Mesh networks which are independent of each other.
  6. Perfect! :white_check_mark:
  7. Got it, but do I really need a separate CCU3 in my scenario? Because with RaspberryMatic I can also host all the functionality on a RaspberryPi. So my hope was to use RaspberryMatic as an Add-On Access Point in HA. So that I just need the HM-IP-W-DRAP module to connect my HA to the wired components of Home Matic IP.

Cheers!

Yes, though you can only run one instance of ZHA, you’d need to use Zigbee2MQTT for at least the second one (though you can run multiple instances of Z2M).

I don’t know about that as I don’t have one. There’s going to be a number of existing threads that cover it in detail or you can start a fresh question explicitly about that.