Install HA on 32bit - i386 intel

Hi there

Im not too much familiar with HA, or Linux…

I follow the guide on GitHub - ntguest/32bit-home-assistant-supervised-installer: Home Assistant supervised installer for 32bit systems

And get suck on section 3 Step 4 (seems im not in “root”) to be able to write

And get back and start all process again and system says user/folders already created…

Instaling OS agent, first attempt, I got the error as says on guide… Then try second install and all goes fine (it seems)
“This should not return an error. If you get an object introspection with interface etc. OS Agent is working as expected.”

And other errors appear too

Can someone follow the guide and check if still valid? Or creat an Image with all process done?

Ive search this forum for some guide with no success. Search YouTube also… got some videos but related to x64bit

I believe that Docker has dropped support for i386, so this won’t work any more.

The best you can hope for on hardware that ancient that is to run a pure Core install.

1 Like

Here is a fairly recent post on this subject, where the poster says he was able to get it up and running…

1 Like

will check that last…

I don’t understand what you mean…

There’s no official support for Docker on 32 bit (i386) systems. If you look at the official Docker packages you’ll see there’s none for that hardware.

That leaves Core as the only option. Well, that or using something newer.

I will read some about Core as you say… To understand If justify the extra “work” :smiley: or tomorrow I got issues updating /using limitation

My recommendation is to find an alternatif device, further down the line you will surely migrate anyway. This way you can avoid the heartache.

1 Like

as we know… no RPI… or too expensive… Buy a NUC or similar don’t know if is a good solution…

I ask around how about run HA on my Netgear router (DDWRT)… and the opinion is NO! :frowning:

First of all HA on router off course not possible (no power what so ever) RPI too expensive then your best bet is getting some 2nd hand Dell or any PC with core i3 or something, with SSD that allow to run 64bit linux.

Anyway HA is a complex system eventually and I believe you will like it once you get the hang of it. I started with RPI 3B+ then RPI4 + sdCard, then RPI4 + SSD, and today running a Ryzen system with proxmox + HA VM + Multiple LXC addon.

1 Like

as we speak im installing core… About your setup… you may running too much things more than automations I believe… Cameras… YouTube… and other stuff that’s why you my need so “power”

Buy a used i3 or something My afraid is the installation and operate it… as RPI is more “dedicated” platform… and “tomorrow” the machine is no longer supported… and get also obsolete

As long your machine will be able to run 64bit linux then you should be ok, and better to run it on SSD which improve the performances. Installation for Debian 11 + docker should be quite easy. Oh and have cable connection for Internet access.

Yes I know the Sdcard issues … so SSD… wired cable… well… need to see…By the way thanks…

About Core installation… well get lots of errors :smiley: now some pip error…

need to abort this computer

If you go with used i3 machine, I recomended to go with Debian 11 + supervised version. It should be much easier or maybe Debian 11 + docker + HA Core. both should be similar result anyway.

This thread may help…

1 Like

Im thinking buy this machine FUJITSU ESPRIMO Q920 MINIPC I5-4570T 8GB 120GB SSD… Maybe upgrade SSD do 250GB, something around 180€… will search eBay also… But Still RPI less expensive :smiley:

120GB SSD is much more then enough for HA.

1 Like

Question config:

At the moment I“m useing rpi4 8gb. 250gb ssd

Now I want to change my hardware to:

Fujitsu Esprimo Q920 | Intel 4th Gen

i5-4570T | 16 GB | 128 GB SSD | Win 10 Pro

Should it work with it ?

Yes - it may not support HAOS if it doesn’t support UEFI boot, but it looks new enough that it should.

Necroposting on three threads that get thrown up in google about this:

I’ve been able to get the latest version of HA supervised running on a Sony Vaio P (who remembers those), which is shaping up to be a great little low power HA server which is small, has built in WiFi, built in screen ect for admin and looks great sitting in my entertainment unit. I am sure any of the other late 00’s and 10’s cheap netbooks people have lying around would be just as good.

What I had to do was recompile the supervised installer to accept docker.io as a dependency.

Process:

1. Setup the system with Debian 12, ticking yes to linking the backported software repositories

2. Follow the instructions for installing HA here: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/installing-home-assistant-supervised-using-debian-12/200253?u=homearesistant
    a) Dont run the line curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh, which installs docker-ce, instead install docker.io which is included in the standard debian repositories for i386: sudo apt-get install docker.io
    b) Use the 32 bit version of os agent: os-agent_1.6.0_linux_i386.deb
    c) Grab the source code for the home assistant supervised installer and modify it to support docker.io https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/tree/main
    i) Change the line in /homeassistant-supervised/DEBIAN/control from:
    Depends: curl, bash, docker-ce, dbus, network-manager, apparmor, jq, systemd, ...
    to:
    Depends: curl, bash, docker-ce | docker.io, dbus, network-manager, apparmor, jq, systemd, ...
    ii) Rebuild the .deb (using the command found in .vscode/tasks.json) chmod 555 homeassistant-supervised/DEBIAN/p* && dpkg-deb --build --root-owner-group homeassistant-supervised
    d) Use the new homeassistant-supervised.deb you just created instead of the released .deb

This got me a fully functional x86 install of HA supervised that is happily supporting my MQTT devices and runing the website with good speed. Theres a chance some docker containers won’t work, but this has not been a concern for me.

Lets keep these little power efficient x86 pcs out of e-waste :slight_smile:

Cheers!