Install HASS.io using ChromeOS to create the SD card image

Just for information I have managed to install Hass.io to my Raspberry PI using just my ChromeOS laptop and the Chrome OS recovery Utility

You will also need a Android compatible ChromeOS device to allow you to install Zarchiver to convert the Bz2 image to a zip file. A Zip file is required by the recovery utility to image the SD card.

Installation

Download the Hass.io image
Install zarchiver from the Google play store
Install the Chrome OS Recovery Utility from the Chrome webstore
Use zarchiver to extract the hass.io . bz image to a .img
Use zarchiver to compress the .img to .zip
Run the Chrome OS recovery utility
Select the Cog icon in the top right of the windows
Select use local media
Select the .zip image created earlier
Select the SD card to image

This will create the SD image. It would be nice if the Hass.io image could be supplied as a .zip download to save the above steps, as this would then be compatible with all ChromeOS hardware :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice bit of lateral thinking :+1:

Thanks . Figured it out while waiting for my Pc to boot and update :slight_smile: Love Chrome OS justs works !

Just an update. I can now achieve a Hass.io install via Chrome Os nativity without android apps. Wicked Good Unarchiver will unpack the install .gz and Chrome OS native zip will pack the .img to a .zip file for the recovery program to install.

Still would be nice if Home assistant would provide a zip file as this would make the install compatible on all platforms

(both methods) still confirmed as working in late 2020. If anyone has issues installing with Chrome OS, this is the post for you.

1 Like