Install Home Assistant OS with VirtualBox on Ubuntu headless (CLI only)

TL;DR

This is basically the same guide as Install Home Assistant OS with KVM on Ubuntu headless (CLI only), but for VirtualBox

I was installing Home Assistant OS on an Ubuntu Server (20.04) and documented my steps along the way. I thought I’d share them. Special thanks to @Aephir for their topic, so I could use it as a template for this one.

Installing VirtualBox and deploying Home Assistant OS

Since the install page only describes how to use VirtualBox via a GUI, and I am using VirtualBox in a server setting, I thought I’d share a quick guide to how to do this from CLI only.

NOTE: This is for Ubuntu Server LTS 20.04, but I suspect it will work for many Debian-based systems. Please report both if you have success on other systems, and if not.
NOTE: I know very little about VMs. The reason I made this guide is because I could have used one :slight_smile: If there is something wrong, or something that could be done smarter, please let me know!

1 - Preparation

I’ll assume you have your OS installed, and have sudo rights.

First, check that your CPU can run VMs.

egrep -c '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

As long as it doesn’t return 0, then you’re good. Next, check that it can use KVM acceleration

kvm-ok

1.1 - Install VirtualBox

sudo apt-get -y install virtualbox

2 - Create and configure the VirtualBox VM

These steps basically follow the steps outlined in the installation guide.

2.1 - Create a new VM

VBoxManage createvm --name homeassistant --register

2.2 - Select OS type “Other Linux (64-bit)”

VBoxManage modifyvm homeassistant --ostype Linux_64

2.3 Set RAM and video memory

This command sets the RAM to 6GB (modify to your needs), video memory to 16MB (also modify to your needs)

VBoxManage modifyvm homeassistant --memory 6144 --vram 16

2.4 - Set 2 vCPUs

The minimum amount of vCPUs as described in the installation guide

VBoxManage modifyvm homeassistant --cpus 2

2.5 - Download the latest vdi image and extract it

The current latest version at the time of writing is 7.2. Get the latest link from the installation guide. From here on out, whenever haos_ova-7.2.vdi is mentioned in a command, replace it with the correct filename (version) of the one you downloaded.

wget https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/7.2/haos_ova-7.2.vdi.zip
sudo apt-get -y install unzip
unzip haos_ova-7.2.vdi.zip
rm haos_ova-7.2.vdi.zip

2.6 - Resize the harddisk to 100GB

You can skip this step if the default 32GB is enough for you

VBoxManage modifyhd "haos_ova-7.2.vdi" --resize 102400

2.7 Move the vdi image to a location of choice

mv haos_ova-7.2.vdi VirtualBox\ VMs/homeassistant/

2.8 - Add the SATA controller

VBoxManage storagectl homeassistant --name "SATA Controller" --add sata --controller IntelAHCI

2.9 - Attach the vdi image

VBoxManage storageattach homeassistant --storagectl "SATA Controller" --port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium ~/VirtualBox\ VMs/homeassistant/haos_ova-7.2.vdi

2.10 Create the bridged adapter

Figure out what the name of your network adapter is with the ip a command

$ ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: enp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 34:64:a9:1b:8f:2a brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet x.x.x.x/x brd x.x.x.x scope global dynamic enp2s0
       valid_lft 2177sec preferred_lft 2177sec
[...]

The first one is the loopback, so for me it’s the second one: enp2s0
Replace that with the name of your adapter in the command below to create the bridged adapter

VBoxManage modifyvm homeassistant --nic1 bridged --nictype1 82540EM --bridgeadapter1 enp2s0

2.11 - Enable EFI

VBoxManage modifyvm homeassistant --firmware efi

2.12 - Set Intel HD Audio as Audio controller

VBoxManage modifyvm homeassistant --audiocontroller hda

2.13 - Start Home Assistant headless

VBoxManage startvm homeassistant --type headless

2.14 - Find the IP address of your VM

Theoretically (according to the internet) you should be able to find it by executing

VBoxManage guestproperty enumerate homeassistant "/VirtualBox/GuestInfo/Net/*"

But that didn’t work for me (the IP address was nowhere to be seen in the output. So what I did (a solution I found on the internet… there might be way more efficient ways).

Ping every IP in your current IP range (I assume this updates some info on your system), for me it was

for i in {1..254}; do ping -c 1 192.168.1.$i & done

Find the MAC address of the network card in your VM

VBoxManage showvminfo homeassistant | grep 'MAC:'

This should output something like:

NIC 1:                       MAC: 08002773348E, Attachment: Bridged Interface 'enp2s0', Cable connected: on, Trace: off (file: none), Type: 82540EM, Reported speed: 0 Mbps, Boot priority: 0, Promisc Policy: deny, Bandwidth group: none

So my MAC address is 08002773348E. Convert that to lowercase and a : after every two characters, so for me it becomes 08:00:27:73:34:8e.

Install net-tools

sudo apt-get -y install net-tools

Search for the IP address based on the MAC address

arp -a | grep 08:00:27:73:34:8e

Point your browser to http://[ip-address]:8123 and you can continue the installation guide at the ‘Onboarding’ step.

I hope this helps someone. As I said, I’m not hugely familiar with VMs, but if you run in to any problems feel free to let me know. Also: Improvements to this guide are always w

13 Likes

Just run these steps. Flawless. Thanks for producing it!

1 Like

today after an update it will not start but freeze in headless mode, but still works without the headless option.

Home Assistant 2023.4.4
Supervisor 2023.04.0
Operating System 9.5
Frontend 20230411.1 - latest

VM host:
Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
kernel 4.19.0-18-amd64

virtualbox-6.1 6.1.32-149290~Debian~buster

Is there some way to use a previous HASS configuration stored on the host at /mnt/.config/services/web/homeassistant?

Working on Ubuntu 22.0.4 w\ VirtualBox. Thanks!!

This works really well on my end, thanks!
I wonder if it was possible to have it automatically launch HAOS/reboot unless stopped.

Edit:
Managed to make it working with this:
https://www.paulligocki.com/make-virtual-box-vm-autostart/

Anyone got a few ideas on how to allow for it to use certain usb devices?

muchas gracias me sirvió mucho

Thank you for such a great guide. I only wish I’d found it hours before trying to figure this out myself. Nevertheless, it was totally useful to validate what I’d discovered over a half day of googling.

The big roadblock I hit was virtualization being off in the BIOS, which caused me some extra hoops to jump through. Your guide confirmed that for me, which helped a lot.

Anyway, all up and running and this page is bookmarked for the inevitable re-install. :rofl:

Thanks again for being so clear and thorough.