Installation Methods & Community Guides Wiki

Since the Supervisor runs as a Docker container, updating Docker will stop all containers, including the Supervisor.

I don’t know the exact logic for the Supervisor, but I think it is expected that only when the Supervisor starts as part of booting your device will it start all add-ons marked as auto-start. Because you wouldn’t want all add-ons to start again if your Supervisor gets restarted because it is updated while your system is running.

1 Like

Is there some reason those dependencies can’t be installed in a venv just like the HA Core installed in a venv does? And if any updates to the supervisor and/or HA dependencies are needed then just update those dependencies in the venv?

Probably because those dependencies are other operating system applications. You can’t install those in a Python venv :wink:

1 Like

I think you should do what you are doing and state that the system is designed to be the sole user of the instance and caveat emptor if that advice is not followed.

It is unreasonable for users to expect otherwise. If I buy a new car and fit unsuitable wheels, the manufacturer of the car will not support replacing the suspension under warranty. But equally, that is clear to the user at the start.

I’d accept that condition with the proviso (already made) that the devs will now be open to suggested changes that do not impact supervisor, but may make non-standard installs more stable (my example here is checking that apparmour is actually enabled not just installed - Apparmor fails to load · Issue #1679 · home-assistant/supervisor · GitHub, Include note re Raspbian and apparmour by borpin · Pull Request #13170 · home-assistant/home-assistant.io · GitHub - both of which I still think are reasonable requests but were unceremoniously dumped - not that I’m bitter and twisted :grinning: ).

One could equally say, what is your suggestion for making the home assistant + supervisor experience compatible with standard operating systems? (Just sayin’)

:slight_smile:

1 Like

The ADR for “Home Assistant One” installation method has now been posted: https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/pull/395

This is the proposed rename of “Home Assistant” (and formerly Hass.io). Name is not set in stone, so please feel free to weigh in with your thoughts.

1 Like

“It’s only taken 4 months of resistance”

Resistance Is Futile !

Just ask @firstof9

:rofl:

1 Like

Makes it far more efficient when there’s no resistance :wink:

But surely that means there’s no-one to assimilate (and no new technology to gain !!! )

3 Likes

Like the list of required components… makes sense. Good clarification.

So, it’s been 3 weeks since this blog post and about a month since it was announced that we’d still allow home assistant supervised on generic linux but there’s still no trace that it’s an option in the documentation… Is this deliberate or just a case of “haven’t gotten to it yet”?

@scstraus I don’t believe a time frame was given…

Nevertheless, there is progress, the architecture proposals are open, discussed, being finalized, and can be seen here:

https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/pulls

3 Likes

Thanks, as long as it happens at all, I’m happy. No rush.

1 Like

Great news,

though I dont understand one thing, in this post you say supervised is supported, but in the community guides under supervised on ubuntu/debian basically the first thing it says is unsupported method.

If you are referring to @kanga_who’s guides, they do not fully comply with the “supported” version of supervised addon, as they install ssh, portainer and samba on the operating system, rather than as addons. Having said that, no one has ever had a problem that @kanga_who or I are aware of.

1 Like

I am still confused. I have installed Home Assistant in Docker (running on Ubuntu Linux). But I do have the Supervisor panel.
So is that Home Assistant container (as I did install it in Docker) or Supervised (as it is installed on top of Linux, and I do see the Supervisor panel)?
The Info panel says it is installation_type: Home Assistant Supervised. So I suppose this is what this is.

Supervised

That method uses Docker.

1 Like

Then you installed a supervised installation into docker, rather than just running home assistant core in docker like this https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/

1 Like

If you have the Supervisor you either have HA Supervised or HA OS. Given you installed on Ubuntu, you have Supervised.