Help us name a Home Assistant installation method (Polls added)

@francisp, yes and I have already said I was grateful for that irrespective of the outcome.

@aidbish, Yes we do, I will and I won’t honestly lose any sleep over it.

@finity, I’m really not complaining about the decision. It’s not mine to complain about and as I said, once it’s made I won’t actually care that much. I do though think that it is disingenuous to suggest that the community made the decision.

And, what @123 said.

In the last US election only 30% of the people voted. Do we not have a “democracy”? Just because people don’t participate if they have the opportunity doesn’t mean it’s not a democracy.

I think that’s an unfair characterization.

I’m just glad they asked us.

2 Likes

Sorry i ahve to disagree. 65k users had an opportunity to vote. not many did and the 66 (albeit small amount) got the majority. That in my book is a democratic result.

One thing i will add though, it does show with the amount of people in the forums and of those who voted most couldn’t care less about the name really. So was the poll or name change worth it?

2 Likes

I’d say only because the previous name change was so confusing :wink:

I think the word “opportunity” is being used disingenuously.

Were the 65k users informed that in one week there would be an election held, for two days, to vote for a new name? No. The thread wasn’t even pinned so it remained visible for the regulars of this one community forum. I wager most of the community isn’t even aware this vote took place.

Good, let’s use a US election as a comparison. This is one where ~1% of the US population voted. It started as a call for candidates. Then it changed into an election where you can vote for multiple candidates and even vote against entire categories of candidates.

Cherry-picking any part of this process and holding up that bit as an examplar of democracy, or comparable to federal elections, is disingenuous.

But demonstrably true.

2 Likes

Last time around the complaint was that the community had no input on the name, and so this time around an effort was made to involve the community right from the very start of the renaming process. Immediately after the ADR went up 11 days ago I shared the link on this forum and you can see that several members of this community participated on GitHub.

Then I created this dedicated thread for greater visibility and a lot more people participated. Everything was done out in the open with input from the community every step of the way. The names were suggested, discussed, and voted upon by this very community over the last 8 days, and “Home Assistant OS” is what ultimately got the most votes.

My favorite picks (Suite, One) didn’t win and some other team members favorite picks (Hub) didn’t win either. But the actual winner as decided upon by community members in this thread was accepted and there’s complaints about that, so I don’t even know what else to say at this point. :man_shrugging:

If the community wishes to toss this result out and just let the team members decide instead, I’m totally fine with that. I will leave that choice up to you guys to figure out and come to a consensus on. At this point I feel it’s best to stay out of it so things can’t be twisted around.

4 Likes

Please, please, don’t let this reaction from a few people stop the dev team from seeking feedback from the users/forum members in the future.

I’m confused as much as you are by those reactions. We wanted input and you gave us the input and some users aren’t happy about the results and I don’t get it. It really makes no sense at all. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’m very happy we got to discuss on this :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Integration “Hass.io”, independent from Hass.OS seemed to me like only the Supervisor and Add-Ons.

Lets seprate the integration from the installation method…
Lets call it Schnitzel, or whatever… :open_mouth: or Just “Home Assistant OS” - (“HAOS”?)

SIDENOTE:

I think, “Hass” as a word, abbreviation or not, has a negative association at german-speaking people. It is the translation for “Hate”… First time I read it, I was like “wtf”.
This creates an awkward feeling… everytime I read it… I doubt that I am not the only one around…

Frenck, Please overthink the Abbreviation… :slight_smile: This Software doesn’t need to be “hated”…

1 Like

I’ll apologize for getting unnecessarily aggravated by the result. Two points to clarify my feelings.

The first being the that we have a duplicate name now. Paulus replied to my comment on Github stating “We will need to make sure to put a good issue creator picker in place to make sure issues end up in the right place”. Hopefully this will work and negate any confusion with the duplicate name.

Secondly, and @123 has alluded to it, It would be great to see or more formalized process around seeking the feedback in the future. The US primaries are a great example of how this could work.

I think the work you did with creating the post and initial polls was great Sean, however, I think the top results could/should have been moved to a new poll, a shortlist if you will. I know that I would have voted for anything other than Home Assistant OS in a shortlist. It would also have been good to know when the cut-off date was for voting. I personally would have changed my vote based on the popular choices as my initial vote wasn’t a front runner - in the same way the selection process works in the US primaries.

Overall, I definitely appreciate the opportunity to have a say and apologize for my brash comments. I know this is a new thing - asking for feedback - so hopefully this will continue and some learnings can be taken away from this particular process to streamline and improve things in the future.

Keep up the good work :+1:

I personally don’t like Home Assistant OS, but guess what, that’s not important.

We had an open discussion, I voted for what I wanted, the vote went a different way. Such is life! I’m simply happy a conversation took place and I had the opportunity to input into the end decision. To me this is exactly how decision should be made.

Ok so this is going to be my last comment about this. This ‘conversation’ is silly. The ‘model’ we ALL run is Home Assistant. How we installed it is relevant when trying to assist someone but there is no magical different model from that point on. So the install method is going to take the name of the underlying O/S in this case but that is not ambiguous or open to interpretation that they still run Home Assistant. With HA Supervised, the underlying O/S could be anything but even then we are running HA.

I get to some that this is the’worst name ever’ but I don’t really care. Home Assistant was worse as a name for the installation (as was all-in-one IMO) I didn’t vote for OS or One (any variant) I preferred Suite but I really don’t care - at least all the install methods have a name that will help with support going forward.

1 Like

Does this mean that Home Assistant OS will find and replace the last hiding places for hassio?

The configuration is stored in:
/use/share/hassio

The Add-Ons are referred to as: hassio-addons

Developer Tools > Info > System Health indicates the presence of hassio: true/false.

Perhaps finally to be replaced by:

/usr/share/haos
haos-addons
haos: true/false

Moving things from /usr/share/hassio to /usr/share/haos could break existing installs. So I hope not. The other two make sense.

Well, considering the hate in German, it should be mentioned that haos is very close to chaos.

And, in several Balcans languages, specifically those spoken in Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia or Bulgaria (except that they don’t use Latin script), probably some others, haos actually does mean chaos which is not something a good product such as Home Assistant (well… most of times, anyways) should be associated with.

Speaking of bad product naming (spoiler alert: true story): in the 90’s, Dacia, the national car manufacturer in an Eastern European country (now part of Renault conglomerate) made a car mainly for the domestic and South American markets (where, historically, Dacia had a history of sales either under it’s own brand or as Renault 12).

That car was named Dacia Nova.

In Latin, Dacia Nova means New Dacia, and Dacia is the name of an ancient province that occupied large part of Eastern Europe, later incorporated into Roman empire under emperor Trajan.

However, in Spanish, Nova means not going (oddly enough, Google Translate from Portuguese also translates into “new”).

But those men of will and power did not stop there. Due to the bad sales volumes they issued a facelift of the car.

And they called the new car Dacia Super Nova :wink:

1 Like

I doubt there will ever be a way to not have some sort of “twisted” meaning depending on how hard someone might want to dig into it. That’s the problem of language.

Over 90% of the world likely never saw anything wrong with hass as an abbreviation for Home Assistant. I’m sure that number will be even much higher for HA OS.

I’m sure it will be just fine the way it is…

My favorite cultural error was a marketing campaign for laundry detergent in a nation where literacy was very low. They chose to create a wordless ad showing dirty laundry in the left hand picture, their detergent in the center picture, and clean clothes in the right hand picture. It sounds simple and logical except the target country reads from right to left.

Another one was a photo of a baby on a can of baby food. Given that many canned goods show pictures of what they contain, this one was not well received.

2 Likes

must have missed the change in the thread above, (and forgive me if I am reading the incorrect conclusion) but where did Paulus decide to move away from the above All-in-One (which was the most obvious candidate next to Suite imho) to OS … ?? Other than Help us name a Home Assistant installation method (Polls added) - #286 by kanga_who there’s no announcement Home Assistant OS is the final choice?

Being relatively new to HA but being in IT for 25+ years, I can say that calling something an OS to me means I’m getting an actual OS and nothing else. If I am getting an all in one solution that contains the OS and the software, then that’s an appliance or virtual appliance. And if I’m getting just the software to run on a supported OS of my choosing then it’s just software or an application (installable or dockerized).

Sticking with these mainstream and well known definitions would be productive IMO.

2 Likes

HAOS stands for Home Assistant One Suite right?

:rofl: :joy: